German Longhaired Pointer - Are they many breeders in the UK? General Chat

Discussion in 'German Longhaired Pointer' started by Wyrd, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Wyrd

Wyrd New Member

Name:
    Tasha

German Longhaired Pointer - Are they many breeders in the UK?

Anyone got one?

I've had a google of them, as they look and sound like a lovely breed, but doesn't seem to be many breeders in the UK.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Munsti-Sue

Munsti-Sue New Member

Name:
    Sue
    Met a few Deutsch Langhaars at game fairs etc:)

Nice dogs and definately a working dog through and through.:grin:
  4. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    Weren't Munsterlanders originally classed as GLP's but were then split because of something to do with coat colours?

I think basically they are the same temperament wise as any German pointer and perfectly capable of doing what they were bred to do. What isnt often mentioned is that German pointers tend to be whingers and whiners (a quality I dislike immensely in any dog). Both mine and the OH's are unbelievabley noisey, so have been all of my OH's past pointers ( a mixture of GSP's and a GWP).

I have to say that their tendency for whining would potentially put me off owning pointers in the future but if you arent bothered by that then their isnt much against them.
  5. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    That was in 1919 & LM were the B&W ones

This is why Brown LMs appear in LM litters
  6. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine
    Yup! Mine is very good at making his feelings known and will sit and look at me whinging energetically if I'm being thick and not getting it. They also tend to suffer a bit from SA if you don't condition them properly to be left as pups. But they are fabulous, hard working, loyal, obsessive dogs and I wouldn't hesitate to have another.
  7. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    I`ve only had 2 German Pointers but neither has been noisy. Obsessive, neurotic, driven yes - but not noisy. :grin:
  8. Wyrd

Wyrd New Member

Name:
    Tasha
    Thanks everyone. Anyone got any pics of their longhaired pointer? :grin:
  9. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    My cousins in Canada have one. Granted, it was in 2003(!) that I last saw them, but she was a beautiful dog. I can't remember what her tempererament was like though, so not much use LOL.