German Sheperd without a tail? Questions

Discussion in 'German Shepherd Dog' started by x-clo-x, Jun 11, 2012.

1. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe

German Sheperd without a tail?

As the title says :-(

Old family friends have two dogs, a Rottweiler and a GSD. They rescued them both when they were pups. (not at the same time) and they are both gorgeous dogs and real credits to their breeds.

But the poor GSD has no tail! :-( The guy rhy bred the litter docked them all, claiming they were rottie crosses. :evil:

Clearly they aren't this boy is GSD, no doubt about it. They look so strange without their tails! Will try ad get a picture of him next time I'm there. With or without tail I fell in love with him :007: He kept trying to sit on my knee :lol: which he succeeded in. I told her I was bringing him home with me :lol: Also nearly came away with a dog that needed fostering (my friend works for a rescue and fosters) but that's a different story :lol:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. alexgirl73

alexgirl73 New Member

Name:
    Alex
    Nooooo :( Oh I don't want to even imagine that. I hate seeing ANY dog without it's tail. Simply put, imo, if they are born with them, they are there for a reason, but the thought of a GSD docked makes me want to cry even more :(
  4. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    To be honest I prefer the look of docked dogs, and I don't mind if it's done for a reason) like many of the gundogs that work. But to see a GSD without a tail made me sad :-( I didn't notice at first, because he was say down then he stood up, and I expected a big waggy tail and there was just a little stump.
  5. spockky boy

spockky boy New Member

Name:
    qwerty
    Surely under the Animal Welfare act 2006, unless there is a medical reason, service dog, police, or dog has a medical condition, or under vets advice etc any docking of a dogs tail is illegal!?

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/45/section/6

Section 6:

Docking of dogs' tails

(1)A person commits an offence if—

(a)he removes the whole or any part of a dog's tail, otherwise than for the purpose of its medical treatment;

(b)he causes the whole or any part of a dog's tail to be removed by another person, otherwise than for the purpose of its medical treatment.

(3)Subsections (1) and (2) do not apply if the dog is a certified working dog that is not more than 5 days old.
  6. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    Yes it's illegal. Doesn't stop people doing it though. There's no saying they get caught, especially byb like these. And majority of the time the offence never gets prosecuted or the consequences aren't severe enough to make them stop.
  7. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    :-(

I remember being surprised when I saw Stan, Angela Stockdale's GSD who is tail-less, on her Canine Chatroom video. I think Stan must have lost his tail when he was a pup. He was a beautiful dog, but did look strange without his bushy tail ..

http://www.dogpartnership.com/pet-dogs.htm
  8. jeagibear

jeagibear Member

Name:
    bryan
    stan looked a lovely dog. loved Angelas web site. i wish i had known her, when i had Max. thanks for the link.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2012