Giant Schnauzer - Looking for some advice Questions

Discussion in 'Giant Schnauzer' started by BrightPaws, Jun 9, 2008.

1. BrightPaws

BrightPaws New Member

Name:
    Rebecca

Giant Schnauzer - Looking for some advice

Hi there, i am looking for some advice. I have my heart set on getting a Giant Schnauzer and before making the leap I have some questions that it would be great if anyone can help me with.

I have had both a mini and a standard before when i lived at home so i am familiar with the temprement etc. I currently have a Staffordshire Bull Terrier who is 9 months old (entire male). He is well trained for his age and i have been going to classes and practiciing this with him. He is veru friendly to other dogs and i want to introduce another one now so he grows up with this other dog and sees it as part of the family.

I would definetly go for a bitch and would get her spayed.

My husband and I live in a 4 bedroomed house in a village with lots of fields around. We have a back garden and both dogs would live inside. Although we both work full time I work Monday to Friday and have an option to work from hom. My husband work shifts so is only ever at work 2 days during the week (when i work at home) so it works out quite well, where we have a clash they would goto grandmas.

When we do leave them alone it would be for a few hours and I would plan to seperate them - we have 2 sitting rooms so one each so that they could relax and not wind each other up (obviously as the dogs mature and settle we can make a decision about letting them be together in these circumstances)

We take our staffie out every day. At the moment he is a pup so he gets about 45 minutes walk a day while he is developing. We would expect to offer about 1 - 2 hours exercise a day when he gets over a year - this would apply to the schnauzer as well.

So my question is - am i doing the right thing? Will we be able to offer the Schnauzer enough exercise and will they get along (as much as can be determined at this stage)

Thanks for your help
    rebecca
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Sounds like your lifestyle will be right for GS..they are energetic dogs,,, and so I am told the boys can be challenging when they reach their teenage stage..(was told this by a very nice breeder)

If you like I will look out her and and address.. she is very knowledgeable about the breed, and I am sure will help you with any inquires towards the breed.

PM me if you like, I will find her address for you.

Have pm`d you, with the name.

She is a very informative lady, and will tell you straight if she feels you are not right for the breed.

I spent a lovely afternoon , talking to her at a show last yr.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2008