Golden Retriever, skin problems Health

Discussion in 'Golden Retriever' started by pam2, Jul 4, 2007.

1. pam2

pam2 New Member

Name:
    Pam

Golden Retriever, skin problems

I am just back from the vet after Charlie's puppy check. It wasn't my usual vet and I don't know what to make of her. She told me I could have probably waited until Friday to come in after the nurse telling me to come, and that she liked to wait a week before giving pups their jags.Then she told me that Charlie had really dirty ears, and scaly skin on his belly which wasn't too good.
    When I asked if I should be concerned about his skin, she just said it might clear up with special shampoo, did I want to try it, or see if it cleared up itself! Needless to say I took the shampoo, then she told me I shouldn't use it for 2 days as she had put a flea treatment on Charlie.
    She asked a few questions about where i got him from, did I see the mother etc, and when I asked her if I should speak to the breeder, she told me it was up to me as he was otherwise healthy.
    He does seem to have what looks like dandruff or cradle cap but as I have never had a Golden Retriever before wasn't sure how much of a problem it was. Should I be worried?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    I wouldn't be unduly concerned as it could just be stress related to him going to his new home. By all means speak to the breeder, you'll find out what kind of breeder they are by doing that lol! I'm surprised he has dirty ears, that's something I've never had in any pups I've breed or indeed purchased but have heard it from many other people being a problem but again it could flare up quite quickly because of the stress of moving home.
    Becky
  4. dori-katie

dori-katie New Member

Name:
    Sarah-Jane Ruthwell
    She sounds like she was having a bad day and you got it. :-(
    Why did she say how bad it was and then in the next breath say you can have the shampoo if you want it or see how it goes:shock:
    I think just keep an eye on his skin it may be stress or could of been something were the breeder keep them.
  5. pam2

pam2 New Member

Name:
    Pam
    I think you may be right DK about her having a bad day, as she was trying to hurry me up near the end of the time, I will be making sure I use my own vet in future. The conflicting advice was the thing that worried me most, telling me I could use the shampoo or wait, his skin was scaly (which sounded a problem to me) but as it was not red, not much of a problem. That a puppy shouldn't really have dirty ears, but as they were not infected, just keep an eye on them!.
    I left the surgery none the wiser but £15 poorer for my free:roll: puppy check.
  6. elmac13

elmac13 New Member

Name:
    eleanor
    When Sam was a pup he had the scaly skin on his tum and we used a special wash which moisturised at the same time and it cleared up. Rufus has a bit like cradle cap on his tum but he isn't bothered by it. When he arrived it looked like it had been shaved there. I wonder if it is because they have a bare tum but when the hair grows it seems to get better. You will have fun bathing his tum anyway Pam!
  7. pam2

pam2 New Member

Name:
    Pam
    I have bathed Charlie with the special shampoo from the vet. I just popped him in the sink, as I thought that would be easy as he's only 9wks, I had to wash and dry the sink, the worktop, the floor, 2 towels, and get myself changed :lol: :lol:
    On the plus side, he does look a lot better and lovely and fluffy! so hopefully the shampoo will do the trick and clear up his scurvy (or whatever it's called).
  8. elmac13

elmac13 New Member

Name:
    eleanor
    I knew you would have fun!
  9. Gina&Jaz

Gina&Jaz New Member

Name:
    Gina
    Hi

My mum (who breeds Goldens) says: This is quite common in Golden puppies. There has been quite a lot of chat on Golden newsgroups as to why this happens but our own vet does think that it is a form of cradle cap due to puppies very thick coats. I sometimes have had this in one or two puppies in a litter. However, the good news is that once your puppy starts to get it's adult coat coming through (from about 3-4 months - you'll see it along the back first) then the cradle cap condition should clear up spontaneously. If it doesn't, or if he's unduly itchy then take him to the vet, but in the meantime just pretend it's not there - although it is hard when it looks like there has been a snow storm after brushing!!!
  10. pam2

pam2 New Member

Name:
    Pam
    Thanks G&J , Charlie's cradle cap is nearly gone, I used the shampoo the vet gave me and it helped.
    You are right about the snowstorm effect, I couldn't believe it when I brushed him.
    His coat has started to change along his back now (he's nearly 12wks), He looks like a little brown skunk, with his darker streak down his back.!!