Great Dane temperaments? Questions

Discussion in 'Great Dane' started by chericep, Apr 23, 2007.

1. chericep

chericep New Member

Name:
    Cherice

Great Dane temperaments?

Anyone here with a Great Dane? I would like to know about their temperment.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
  4. Vicki6344

Vicki6344

Name:
    Vicki
    I've had one. They have a lovely temperament. They are known as "the gentle giant"
    [​IMG]
  5. Colonel & Karen

Colonel & Karen New Member

Name:
    Karen
    Danes have great temperments but can be very protective, it depends on what way they are brought up, they demand alot of attention and as they are a very large breed if they are in the wrong hands they might turn out bad.

Are you thinking of taking on a Dane? or just researching??
  6. mystus

mystus New Member

Name:
    sarah
    excellent temp,i have had them for over 26yrs,great with kids,good all round family dog i have 2,was 3 but lost my old lad at the begining of july
  7. Solitaire

Solitaire New Member

Name:
    Ann
    They are wonderful I've had them for 16 years
  8. mystus

mystus New Member

Name:
    sarah
    is this petra? if so hiiiii:lol:
  9. Solitaire

Solitaire New Member

Name:
    Ann
    No it's not Petra
  10. ATD

ATD New Member

Name:
    Anne-Theresa
    i know three 2 fab could do anything with :) but the other nearly bit me and have gone for other people too but i think that is down to the owner are you thinking of getting one?
    ATD xxx
  11. Morgandy

Morgandy New Member

Name:
    Kim
    I had Great Danes too for many years about 100 have passed through my hands with litters and rescue etc. Found bitches easier to start with. The problem i found is that people get them and although they are great with kids they are clumsy and they knock small children over and the dog gets shouted at for it. Considering their size though my bitches were more agile than my dobes, who frquently bash me in the face with their nose and smack into doors. Not to mention knock me over when running at full pelt. I think the bitches when mature are more conscious of being careful around children. The males can be quite strong willed if not castrated and may dominate children. Harlequins were a breed apart in those days 20 years ago highly strung and nervous. This may have been corrected now though.
  12. Solitaire

Solitaire New Member

Name:
    Ann
    No Harlies are still mad
    I find the bitches are more independent where as the dogs always want more attention if not all of it
  13. iluvdanes

iluvdanes New Member

Name:
    Lisa
    Awwwwww i got a 2 blue harli girls, they are 8 months old now and been quite a handful but wuddnt change them for the world. They are fantastic dogs and bring so much entertainment into the family.
  14. sarahcw

sarahcw New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    I just adopted my 1st dane. I read ALOT about the breed as I wanted to find the perfect dog to add to our family.

His name is Dunkan and he is the most gently loyal loving dog I think I have ever had. For the most part, from what I have read, they are amazingly gentle for their size and are equally happy lying on the couch doing nothing as they are hiking in the woods.

Great dogs!! :)
  15. dollypeeps

dollypeeps New Member

Name:
    Dee
    I have three of the big beasties and breed them as well and I havent come across a highly strung Harli yet mad yes not the other.

Bitches are easier but most bitch dogs are to me personally.

Once I figure out how to post piccies I will.

I have had Danes and Dane X's for over 12 years now and I am still learning about them.

They can knock over small kids but a gentle word no loud voices here not good for any mutt I find.

If taking on a Dane I would research ALL about them and then some and met other Dane owner to get the low down. We even took on a rescue one years ago and he was the most laid back lad you could meet. Sadly he went to the rainbow bridge 4 months ago now.

Any breeder worth their salt will answer your questions and have there phone on 24/7 to answer them.

Training is a must cos of their size and they'll love you for it too. They are like children in that regard so need firm boundaries from the word go. So good luck in your search

Dolly x
  16. DogsRMyLife

DogsRMyLife New Member

Name:
    HappyDog
    Our families great Dane has an awesome temperment! We babysit kids, and those kids climb on him and pull on his lips all day long. He is so patient and LOVES kids more than anything. He is fairly protective of the kids and good care less about the adult males and is somewhat protective of females. There has only been 2 people he has hated and tried to bite but they were bad guys so he had a reason.