Great Danes-How much room do they need? Questions

Discussion in 'Great Dane' started by sasmi, Dec 7, 2008.

1. sasmi

sasmi New Member

Name:
    sam

Great Danes-How much room do they need?

Just a query for now, definately no room for another dog at the mo. Husband and I both love Great Danes but he is adamant that our house isn't big enough for one. How much room do they need? Are they only a breed for a country estate? Thanks, Sam.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Vicki6344

Vicki6344

Name:
    Vicki
    No, they're not. I have a small two bed terraced house, and had a beautiful great dane for many years until I lost her to bloat.

I'd love another, but circumstances are not right at the moment.

They can curl up into a small-ish ball and will nick your favourite armchair and curl up, upside down, in it.

They don't need excessive exercise and walk beautifully on-lead provided they're taught properly.

Fabulous dogs :D

Good luck with whatever you decide.

[​IMG]
  4. Angel44

Angel44 New Member

Name:
    Nikki
    I've had great danes and they really don't seem to need any more space than a german shepherd - less in some cases. Whereas the gsd's will sprawl out and take up huge amounts of space, the great danes will curl up into a little ball :lol: The biggest problem I had was being able to fit the danes and the gsd's in the back of my car :roll: Lovely gentle giant dogs ;-)
  5. honeysmummy

honeysmummy New Member

Name:
    Cass
    I love great danes too....what kinda car do they fit into??!:grin:
  6. youngstevie

youngstevie

Guy up the road only has a small house but has a harlaquin colour Dane, handsome lad he is too. Often we meet up over the park, he's not at all ''mad'' like mine, he's very majestic. Apparntly when his Dad sits down, Rodney places his bum on Dad's lap and just sits there watching tv.:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  7. Vicki6344

Vicki6344

Name:
    Vicki
    My dane used to sit her bum on the sofa but have her front legs on the floor. She was such a delight! She also used to take my hand in her mouth and "walk" me up and down, all the time wagging that whip-like tail madly!

I do miss her........
  8. Vicki6344

Vicki6344

Name:
    Vicki
    Couldn't resist posting some photos of my darling girl - Suki:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Apologies for the quality - this was pre-digitial camera days, and I had to scan them in :D
  9. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie

Ibet you do, she sounds lovely:grin:
  10. honeysmummy

honeysmummy New Member

Name:
    Cass
    Gorgeous pictures Vicki!!
    She looked a lovely girl x
  11. Vicki6344

Vicki6344

Name:
    Vicki
    Thanks Cass. She was a dog in a million :D
    [​IMG]
  12. Reisu

Reisu New Member

Name:
    Lauren
    I think most people tend to forget that big dogs can still only take up one bit of room at a time. I remember when we first got Jobie (not a dane, but he's pretty big for a greyhound) we thought he was massive, i look back now and he seems like a teeney weeney thing. apart from when he's standing on my foot :lol:
    as long as there is room for a dane to lie down somewhere i wouldn't think you'd have a problem :grin: they are fantastic, i'd love to have one one day.
  13. Lene

Lene New Member

Name:
    Lene
    Ben is 6 months old today, and he still sometimes have a rest in the bed he used, when I got him... He could lie outstretched in it. This picture was taken 2 weeks ago..

[​IMG]

If you can fit a person in your house and yard, it's big enough... :lol:
  14. Lorna

Lorna New Member

Name:
    Lorna
    Beautiful pics!
  15. Hali

Hali New Member

Name:
    Fiona
    My OH loves great danes but he doesn't think we have the room either...maybe I'll show him this thread;-)

Ooh, Vicki, you must be a mind reader. Just got to your first post about Suki and was thinking to myself 'I've got to ask Vicki to post some pics'...and low and behold, there you go.

She was beautiful and sounded such a lovely girl - no wonder you miss her so much.
  16. LynneNGreatDane

LynneNGreatDane New Member

Name:
    Lynne
    I finally talked my hubby into danes about 3 years ago ( in fact, 3 years feb 4th! ) and now we have 14 lol ( my girl just whelped ) we live in a regular size 4 bedroom and there is plenty of room :) you wont belive how small they can be when they want to hehe. Only thing bad I have to say about them is I have yet to figure out a way to hide food from Odin, my male lol. hes a goober sometimes!
  17. honeysmummy

honeysmummy New Member

Name:
    Cass
    14!!!:lol:

I want piccies immediatly!!!!!:lol:
  18. LynneNGreatDane

LynneNGreatDane New Member

Name:
    Lynne
  19. Lene

Lene New Member

Name:
    Lene
    Awwww... that just too cute.. :grin:
  20. Solitaire

Solitaire New Member

Name:
    Ann
    I've had Danes for over 16 years and always had more than one and I haven't lived in big houses either.

They can squeeze into the smallest of spaces and well as take up a lot of room :grin: , I've had up to 8 in a normal 3 bed house , but only have 4 adults now. As long as they get a decent walk you don't need a massive garden either as they are basically lazy when they reach adulthood :lol:
  21. sarah8

sarah8 New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    I love Great Danes, my Aunty had one when I was young. Thor had his own bedroom, he was fantastic with kids and was so well behaved. They only had a three bedroom terraced house and he never seemed to be in the way. At least you would never fall over them, like you can do with smaller dogs - or maybe thats just Bassets!