Greyhound house collar .. General Chat

Discussion in 'Greyhound' started by grommit, May 20, 2009.

1. grommit

grommit New Member

Name:
    clare

Greyhound house collar ..

Hi all,

Just trawling the internet for some ideas for a new collar for my hounds.

Just wondered if anyone had any recommendations. Would like a greyhound specific collar that we could possibly use for walkies as well as being a comfy house collar.

I've been looking at the martingale collars as there are some very smart ones but not sure how good they would be as a house collar.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Reisu

Reisu New Member

Name:
    Lauren
    They are very good house collars, very comfy for them as they're so bendy and wide. And of course you can grab the D-ring and they can't slip out like they can a normal house collar, useful for hauling them away from shopping bags etc... :lol: the only fault I can find is that they don't make slip on tags wide enough for most of them so you still get the tag jingles when they flap about, but I think that bothers me more than Jobie!
  4. Freyja

Freyja New Member

Name:
    Helen
    Try these they make some lovely martingale collars. My setter has one. They will make any that you want.

www.collarsrus.co.uk
  5. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
    I adore the collars in Jan's lurcher and greyhound gifts. Likewise they will make up collars if you want. I personally recomen the soft suede collars for comfy house and out collars, Pharaoh loved his until norty Kismet puppy chewed it up :roll: But all of the collars are lovely :)

http://www.jansgifts.co.uk/list.php?type_id=115
  6. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
    Pharaoh is currently wearing her 'celtic blue and gold design' collar.. and very spiffy he looks in it as well.. He wears it all the time, in and out:)

you can see it in this picture, where he is also showing off his natty snow boots to protect his poor toesies from the cold... Until norty Kismet puppy chewed them up... (Are you noticing a trend here:))

[​IMG]
  7. grommit

grommit New Member

Name:
    clare
    Thanks for all your replies, I'm currently trawling through the websites. Fab pics too :grin: Very smart collar there.
    Think i'm definately going to go for a martingale collar following your advice there reisu, finally the asda bags will be safe! :lol: :lol: :lol:
  8. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    They have some nice collars on greyhounds in need :) I also love Jansgifts to lol.
  9. chaumsong

chaumsong New Member

Name:
    Jane
  10. greyhoundk

greyhoundk New Member

Name:
    Eleanor
    Have a butchers on good old Ebay - nice ones on there. go on pet supplies and put in greyhound and they'll come up
  11. wendi

wendi New Member

Name:
    wendy
    greyhounds galore have some wonderful collars, have a browse.
  12. wendi

wendi New Member

Name:
    wendy
  13. Digsby

Digsby New Member

Name:
    Emma
  14. whippetrus

whippetrus New Member

Name:
    Jackie
  15. lurcherlass

lurcherlass New Member

Name:
    tracey
  16. LittleGreyhound

LittleGreyhound New Member

Name:
    Emmett
    I use a martingale collar at home. I just set up correctly this collar; and not afraid of choking. It says here that the martingale collar is safe ;-)
  17. Tass

Tass New Member

Name:
    Tass

:lol: :lol: :lol: Norty Kismet, are you sure you're feeding him enough? :lol:
  18. 2Greys

2Greys New Member

Name:
    G
    Please don't leave a martingale collar on your dog while unsupervised, its easy for the D-ring to catch on something and the collar is designed to tighten to prevent a dog slipping it. A member of greyhound forum i go on didn't think it was a real risk and sadly came home one day to find her dog had hung itself:cry:.

I tend to stick tags on a non-tightening collar which is safer (although not risk-free) and just put the martingales on for walks, it will also greatly extend the life of the fabric if its not used 24/7.

My friend Lisa (Dog 'o' Nine Tails) made me these velvet, satin lined tag collars to go with their martingales, the allsorts collar is also from there. She also does sets to match.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. polly7

polly7 New Member

Name:
    pauline
    i'm so pleased to read your post as I was reading through the others and getting quite concerned.
    You are so correct, Martingales are by far the safest collars for a greyhound when out walking but never for a house collar.
    I was mortified to read of your poor friends hound, she must have been absolutely devasated. I do know of someone who had a near miss as her hound caught the maringale loop int he handle of her fidge freezer and was about to topple it over on himself when luckily she intervened. If she hadn't been around it would have been another disaster.
    Dominque makes superb collars and will make a house collar to match.
    her website is

here is my latest hound sporting his matching pair (only worn together in the house for the pics)
    [​IMG]

here is his house/tag collar
    [​IMG]

and here is little lily in her house/tag collar
    [​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2012
  20. salukibel

salukibel New Member

Name:
    Amy
    Bella isn't a greyhound, but a sighthound so the same still applies. She wears a velvet 'Houndstown' (their collars are on Etsy as well) house collar for around the house and a martingale on walks.
    I used to leave the martingale on her around the house, but switched as I was concerned about the safety aspect.
    [​IMG]
    free picture hosting
  21. SneaksyWhippet

SneaksyWhippet New Member

Name:
    Gemma
    Oh my word...Bella is just gorgeous! Salukis are so beautiful.