Growth in mouth Health

Discussion in 'Dobermann' started by Trouble, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Bonni

Bonni Member

Name:
    Bonni
    Pleased to hear she is doing better. May I ask which of the suggestions posted in this thread you have tried and how effective each were please?

I would give her some more pilchards if they proved irresistible for her. :)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    I will try the pilchards again later, the problem is what she fancies today she might turn her nose up at later which is so out of character for her, when well she'll eat absolutely any food.
    The complan went down well.
    The chicken essence drove the other dogs to distraction but Rio didn't touch it. I haven't seen her drink anything really which is why the food needs to be quite sloppy.
    Surprisingly the dog food from the vets went down well, yet in the past she wouldn't have been impressed.
    Raw eggs beaten with yoghurt seem to tempt her most days.
    It's a battle of wits at the minute as the things we thing will work don't impress her, yet things like tinned dog food do as long as it has a sloppy consistency. I might go and get her some Butchers tripe later and see what she makes of that.
  4. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
  5. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    Well today she is definitely determined to eat in spite of the pain. She had a full size can of dog food mashed up with warm water for breakfast followed by a tin of sardines. Slept all morning but as soon as I went to feed the other dogs she ran out to the conservatory to make sure I didn't forget her. She's just eaten a large can of pilchards followed by 4 beaten raw eggs with a large dollop of yoghurt. Again I had to drop the pilchards on the floor a bit at a time but she kept her eyes on the plate in case it disappeared. I had the egg and yoghurt mixture in a jug and poured it onto a side plate a bit at a time, she got fed up with that and stuck her head in the jug and polished off every last drop. Licked the jug, plate and floor clean. She's an absolute star, although I won't be saying that later when it's time for the tablets again.

Thing is Azz we're pretty certain it's oral cancer and waiting for the test results to confirm that. If that's the case nothing is going to help at all and it's just a case of keeping her going and as comfortable as possible until the results are in, If Oral cancer is confirmed we will pts asap as this is so unfair on her.
  6. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    I know what you mean Shirley, and I would probably do the same. Only you will know what's best for her *hug*.

I hope it isn't tho, and just a bunch of nasty ulcers that will clear up :)

It's a good sign that she's eating. Omega 3 from the fish will be a huge help :D
  7. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    can you get a tablet giver thing - i have no idea what they are called its like a pen with a claw at bottom. really helps me give phoebe tablets and with that they are right at back of mouth and you are less likely to touch top of her mouth. With water, juice, milk ect you can get huge syringes the vet will have them they gave me a 50ml one for cleaning a wound once and im sure they have a variety of sizes that may help you get more liquid in her. I would also warm liquids up a little bit to body temp as liquids that are cold or hot will upset her mouth a bit where as she is less likely to notice liquid at body temp. that could also be why shes not as interested in the yoghurt as its to cold
  8. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    She's had a good day today, she's eaten quite a lot taken her tablets without too much of a struggle and been up for some fun and games. Lets hope it continues.
  9. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Fingers crossed for you. My previous dog Brownie succumbed to cancer in his nose, so I know how it can be. Thankfully he was not in any pain and though there was nothing I could do to save him, the cancer grew very quickly within about a month or so and then it was over as he was having trouble sleeping because of the tumor. Glad to hear your girl is doing better :)
  10. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    Janet and Azz like this.
    Well she did really well yesterday ate loads
    she ate breakfast which was 4 tins of sardines and about half a tin of butchers tripe, 2 raw eggs mixed up with yoghurt. The lump at the front of her mouth is just as big as ever and I can't see what the ulcers are doing so obviously eating isn't getting any easier, I just think she's determined to eat regardless of the pain but it obviously takes forever and she won't eat if I walk away. It takes her a while to get going but once she's started she now keeps going till it's finished.
    I then had a hospital appointment which seemed to take forever, came home around 2.30pm and fed her again. She had a large tin of pilchards and half a tin of butchers tripe. She's a bit squitty but I'm not really surprised with all that oily fish she's been eating. As far as I know that's the first poo since Monday. She's quite lively and has taken her pills without too much hassle. Compared to Tuesday she's doing brilliant. So far today she's had a big breakfast, I've discontinued the antibiotics as they were causing her too much grief to take, she's much happier with just the pain killer, and we should have the results later today.
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Praying that the results will not be as you fear.

[​IMG]
  12. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Glad she is eating - oily fish is incredibly good.

Fingers crossed there's positive news with the results today xx
  13. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    No results so we'll have to wait till Monday now.
  14. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Will have everything crossed for you x
  15. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    This morning she was dripping big blobs of blood all over he kitchen floor, I put a piece of kitchen towel to her mouth and a sizable clot came away. I can only assume she's caught the growth with her lower teeth as it extends past her upper incisors and totally engulfs a couple of teeth. In spite of that she was ravenous, would only eat pilchards, she made it plain nothing else would do and she's eaten 3 large cans, about 1200 grms.
  16. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Poor Rio - I had not realised that the growth was so large - but at least she is eating, if that is any consolation to you. I just do not know what else to say.
  17. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    Azz likes this.
    The fact she's eating helps massively tbh I know it doesn't change anything but she's more herself and at least we're not worrying about her starving to death. The growth itself is about an inch square, sits forward of the teeth so is predominantly between her upper lip and engulfing her top teeth, there's very little behind her teeth. Of course everything she eats has to go past the lump. She's just let me have a look and it looks the same as ever, she's just scoffed 500grms of yoghurt and is now outside sun bathing.
  18. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Her choice of foods is really interesting Shirley - oily fish and live yoghurt are both excellent anti-cancer foods.

I actually think there is some merit in the theory that our bodies intrinsically know what it needs when poorly, just like we know to drink when we get thirsty.
  19. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    Well the diagnosis is back and she has a particularly aggressive form of Amelanotic melanoma for which there is nothing that can be done. Well I didn't know what it was called but I was pretty certain of the prognosis [​IMG] Just a case of deciding when, but it will be asap. She's not a happy bunny and has struggled all weekend.
  20. Anne

Anne Global Moderator

Name:
    Anne
    So sorry Shirley :(
  21. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Oh I'm so sorry. I really hoped it wouldn't be as bad as you feared.