GSP - Is there a law that allows gun dogs to be docked? Discussions

Discussion in 'German Shorthaired Pointer' started by maximus79, Aug 23, 2011.

1. maximus79

maximus79 New Member

Name:
    mark

GSP - Is there a law that allows gun dogs to be docked?

Hello :grin:
    I'm doing my research on GWP's as its one of the dogs on my short list.
    Well actually I think this is the breed I'm getting. Stunning!!

Browsing the web I came across a breeder that was saying that she could dock before any paper work went through. Then after looking on champ dogs or something similar I noticed quite a few others were doing the same thing.

Is there some sort of law that allows gun dogs to be docked?

Should I be staying clear of breeders that offer docking as I thought it was a banned practice?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine
    If the breeder works her dogs and can produce a shotgun certificate to a vet who is willing to dock (many won't) then the puppies can be legally docked before they are 3 days old. My GSP was legally docked and I had to get him microchipped and his paperwork endorsed by the vet when I brought him home.
  4. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    It is still legal to dock dogs in the terrier and gundog group providing certain criteria are met.

ONly vets may do it and the full law is available on DEFRA site.

This may help.

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/departments/gundogs/tail-docking/england.cfm
  5. maximus79

maximus79 New Member

Name:
    mark
    Thanks peeps. That cleared that up!!

Back to my research!!
  6. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine
    Good for you for doing your research before you decide on a breed. If you are seriously considering a GWP as a first time dog owner, can I suggest you start a discussion thread about them? You will find it helpful and informative to hear from the owners of GWPs and other HPRs about their dogs and their funny little ways. ;-)
  7. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    LOL that is one way of putting it!
  8. brittany

brittany New Member

Name:
    Bambam
    Can I just point out that there are no exclusions to the docking ban in Scotland. Here it is illegal to dog a dog for any reason other than medical (malignant tumour etc). Much more straightforward!
  9. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    Yes, and a little annoying for those of us who prefer docked dogs. I'd like my next GWP to be from a Scottish kennel but i'm put off by the docking laws.
  10. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    .. :) :) :)
  11. Jet&Copper

Jet&Copper

Name:
    Annette
    Hmmmm I have two docked dogs, both born in Scotland, wonder how that worked out? :?
  12. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    Maybe they came to England to be docked?
  13. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Well i see a 6 month old boxer every week at trainning who is docked so wonder where he came from!
  14. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Ireland probably.
  15. brittany

brittany New Member

Name:
    Bambam
    "Prefer"?

May I ask why?
  16. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Thats what i though, the dog is running rings round them and they had no idea about what boxers are like. Seems like another puppy owner who has fallen foul of the BYB/puppy farm :(
  17. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    Honest answer is I much prefer the look of a docked dog. HPR's tails are very long and whip like and it's my belief that a working dog is at less risk of an injury with a dock.

My dog was docked before the ban so I never really considered it much but I would have to think hard about owning a spaniel or HPR with it's tail intact.

I know the various breed clubs are trying to compile reports to show whether undocked dogs are at more risk of injury in the field. I would be interested in the results when they finally arrive.
  18. one.eyed.dog

one.eyed.dog New Member

Name:
    Ellie
    I have a GWP. She is rescue. They are quite a handful as a breed.. My friend has 2 and they are just as mad as mine. The trick with these 3 is to train, train, train and make sure they are completely knackered after a walk.
    If you read the rescue adverts they ALL say "Recall could do with some work" LOL
    Crackin dogs but, not the easiest. I would have another in a shot though. Make sure your breeder tests for epilepsy.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2011
  19. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    It's worth mentioning the other important health tests for GWPs which are vWD, hip dysplasia and eye tests.
  20. Jet&Copper

Jet&Copper

Name:
    Annette
    I just found out about how our breeder got around this - apperently if the bitch is whelped in England the dogs can be docked there and then brought straight back to Scotland. Don't know if this is helpful for you, but thought it was interesting how far people go to dock working dogs!
  21. Jet&Copper

Jet&Copper

Name:
    Annette
    I would find the results of this very interesting too!