Gundog training for a family dog Training

Discussion in 'Gundog Forum' started by Mad_Marley, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Mad_Marley

Mad_Marley New Member

Name:
    john

Gundog training for a family dog

Hi,
    i have a 12 week old working springer x cocker pup. I'm not planning on working him as he is suppose to be a family dog, but i was hoping to train him some of the gun dog commands.

I currently have him sitting to command and hand signals, lying down, coming from distance and retrieve. I'm also working on wait, heel and find but due to his age I know there gonna take a bit longer to master.

I'm just wondering what training I should be focusing on and at what age I should be introducing new commands without pushing him to hard.

This is my first dog so I'm still learning my self.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

thanks jon
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    There are really no commands which are unique to gundogs.

The most important thing to teach your dog is the recall, which in dogs like this cannot be over emphasised.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2012
  4. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    Hi Jon

The best thing to do is join a gundog training group when he is old enough. Members that live near you may be able to give you some recommendations. Nothing beats the hands on experience of a good gundog trainer and you won't be able to replicate the distractions provided in a training class on your own. It is a good social occasion too. :)

The majority of gundog work revolves around general obedience and steadiness. The retrieving and hunting part should (in theory) come naturally to the dog -- you just shape them how you see fit. Don't run before you can walk and over complicate it at this stage. I would carry on exactly as you are doing with the basic obedience and self control exercises first and foremost.
  5. Tass

Tass New Member

Name:
    Tass
    One thing to focus on while they are young is to ensure the fun happens around you, or they can very quickly learn to ignore you to follow their noses and their hunting instincts.

It is easier to prevent this than to look at resolving it later.

Restrict how far the puppy can range, e.g use an enclosed area or a long line, while also working on a good recall. Produce/hide toys and treats so the good things happen near you and you are linked to them, rather than the dog finding them for himself, while off being independent.

Teach him to orbit near you, not to take off in a straight line.

Do not encourage tugging games if you later decide to work him or you may have trouble with him being too hard mouthed with game.

Working dogs often do much better with a job to do, so well done for considering this. :)
  6. spaniel04

spaniel04 New Member

Name:
    H
  7. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Tugging games are fine for gundogs, but perhaps not for the inexperienced owner. ;)
  8. rune

rune

Really solid basics, good stays and lots of self control----but FUN!

rune
  9. Mad_Marley

Mad_Marley New Member

Name:
    john
    Thanks for the advice and great answers
  10. Mad_Marley

Mad_Marley New Member

Name:
    john
  11. Mad_Marley

Mad_Marley New Member

Name:
    john
    thought tugging games were a bad idea for all breeds especially gundogs :confused:
  12. Tass

Tass New Member

Name:
    Tass
    *sigh*
    I was advising the OP who has stated that this is his first dog. I also said it may be a problem, not that it would be.

My advice to an experienced owners tends to differ to the advice I give to self-professed inexperienced owners.
  13. kobi

kobi New Member

Name:
    Dave
    Keep the retrieves short and only do 2 or 3 at a time.
    Its easy to get a spoilt retrieve if its your first dog who will work with a ball etc.
    Need to get them to bring to you every time.
  14. Mad_Marley

Mad_Marley New Member

Name:
    john
    This is the type of advice I need. Ive been going to long and too many times, he soon loses intrest. Thanks for this :)
  15. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    I use an eggtimer, 3 minutes max! :)
  16. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine
    Recall is likely to be your greatest challenge with this combination of breeds. It will be easy whilst he's small and you are the centre of his world. Once he's older and approaching adolescence he will realise that recall is optional and hunting is much more fun. As Tass said keep him fairly close to you and don't let him go off on hunting trips, even short ones.
  17. Mad_Marley

Mad_Marley New Member

Name:
    john
    would it be worth getting him on a long training line before he hits adolescence and the naughty phase? I don't wanna be one of those people chasing after a disobedient dog, shouting and screaming.

Would you say that him making a bolt for it is inevitable?
  18. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine
    See how it goes, it's not inevitable you will have problems. I get my dogs hooked on toys so that they don't want to leave me and go off hunting. If you feel his recall is slipping then a long line is a good idea. Adolescence tends to be that time when they test the boundaries and pretend they have forgotten everything you taught them. But if you make your walks fun so he wants to be with you, then you may not have any problems.
  19. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    If you are going to use a long line, remember it MUST be used on a harness NEVER on a head halter or collar to avoid injury.

Also, gloves might be an idea! ;)
  20. astle9

astle9 New Member

Name:
    Andy
    the books 'pet gundog' and the 'advanced pet gundog' by lez graham will give you all the info you need.
  21. spaniel04

spaniel04 New Member

Name:
    H
    I agree, very good books to read for a novice to gundog training. :grin:

On a totally different note, astle9 you are not a Baggies fan by any chance, are you??! :grin: :p
    Sorry, couldn't help myself, but had to ask! I am a fan myself. :blush: