Had sickness and Zantac jab - but still not eating Health

Discussion in 'Pug' started by pugluva, Jul 14, 2014.

1. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Great news, so pleased for you both x
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. pugluva

pugluva Member

Name:
    carol
    Just an update turned out Millie had an ulcer now the fun starts can I get her to take her tablets no chance spits them out. I've tried hiding them in all sorts of tasty food shoving them down her throat but still she spits them out so any ideas would be great fully received.
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    It depends how big the tablets are. You could crush them between two spoons, then mix the powder with meat paste or cream cheese. Or there are those plastic pill doser devices that allow you to reach further into the throat.
  5. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    I give some butter or ice cream first then another bit with tablet in followed by bit without & another with tablet, when they realize the first bit as no tablet they will greedily take the bit with tablet in
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I well know the problem! Pereg has to have Phenobarbitone 7am, 3pm and 11pm and she has now decided that even squished in bits of cheese triangles she will not take them. She also has a ginormous "horse pill" [SAMe] at 10am. Plus too many to think of but most are capsules I can open and add to her first "wet" meal.

Which she is not not eating. So the vital Milk Thistle capsule gets shoved down her throat with her 3pm Pb whether she likes it or not. As does the SAMe and all her pills now.

Three years and no problem. Now? A lifetime of shoving pills down her throat!

Ah - but first I have to force her mouth open! :005:
  7. pugluva

pugluva Member

Name:
    carol
    The lovely pereg has to have lots of tablets then :( poor pereg these tablets are so tiny they end up all slimy and I can't get hold of them after she's spat them out half a dozen times she's a nightmare lucky it's only once a day. She took all the antibiotics ok but she was still ill then now she's fighting fit again I got no chance lol
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    The lovely Pereg has no choice. And now she will not take her pills nicely it is force over her lovely mouth and shove them down her lovely throat!

At the moment she is not having some of her vitamins and supplements because she is on strike for her first meal, but those are not desperatly important.

The ones that are get shoved down her throat, because she has to have them and if that is the only way, then so beit.

But I think she still loves me... :)
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka,
    Sorry, a little off topic but what are the SAMe tablets? I was a qualified Boots dispenser in a previous life, but cannot bring these tablets to mind. Perhaps it's senility setting in - or maybe we just didn't have them in the olden days!
  10. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    CaroleC likes this.

Not 100% sure but think they are S-Adenosyl-225 (SAMe) are recommended to improve hepatic glutathione levels to help maintain and protect liver function in dogs ?

could be wrong x
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Thank you Tina. I have just checked my 1972 copy of Martindale's and have been reassured that my memory is OK - it is that it was the Olden Days!
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Yes, sorry - I am so used to calling them just SAMe and I forget some people do not know what they are. They are a part of help for epileptic dogs as they also help neural and heart problems as well as being a liver support, and in fact the ones Pereg has are human supplements as they are not just for dogs!

These are what she has - one a day. They have to be given at least one hour before or two hours after meals.

http://www.iherb.com/Doctor-s-Best-SAMe-400-Double-Strength-60-Enteric-Coated-Tablets/34892#p=1&oos=1&disc=0&lc=en-US&w=sam-e 400 mg&rc=2340&sr=null&ic=4
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    A bit more information if anyone is interested. There is a canine product called Denmarin

http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/dog/dog-liver-health/denamarin-for-dogs

which some people with epileptic dogs use. But on the advice of my Vet I give the SAMe separately to Milk Thistle - which is basically all Denmarin has. The Milk Thistle I give Pereg is this one

http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas-Milk-Thistle-150-mg-200-Capsules/127#p=1&oos=1&disc=0&lc=en-US&w=milk thistle&rc=598&sr=null&ic=3

Because there is no actual dose for dogs according to weight, even though there is a listed one.

I do what my Vet suggests, and so far Pereg's liver function levels have been spot on normal. And this is after over three years of quite a high dose of Phenobarbitone but with the SAMe and Milk Thistle to support her liver, as Pb can - in some dogs, cause liver failure.
  14. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Thanks Malka, you do so well with her. Ed also has Milk Thistle as part of his UC regime (175mg daily split into 2 doses). I took my info.from an article 'Milk Thistle', by Jean Hofvre DVM. (Whole Dog Journal, vol,5, no 7, July 2002) - available on Google. I'm also still using the Rejuvelac (and Sauerkraut) recommended by Azz - but Ed's full regime would fill a page! We are having more blood free days than 6 months ago, but I know it will never go away completely. The main thing is that he feels well and is full of energy.
    Tweed is my main concern at present - the recent heat seems to have worsened her heart condition and she has now had to go on to medication, (Frusemide and Vetmedin). She is still a madcap, and really needs to learn to grow old gracefully!