Hamiltonstovare Questions

Discussion in 'Hamiltonstovare' started by strick206, Mar 18, 2012.

1. strick206

strick206 New Member

Name:
    Gary

Hamiltonstovare

Hello everyone,

This is my first post, i have been looking into these dogs over the last couple of weeks.

I think they are gorgeous and what i have been reading about them seems like they are very good pets.

I am looking for something slightly bigger than a beagle but the foxhound doesnt appear to be a pet type dog, and these seem to be ok.

Firstly, i gather these are very very rare, are there any breeders of these dogs to be sold as pets or all show dogs?

What kind of price are they to buy as a puppy, and where are the best places to look for one.

Any advice anyone has about hamiltons i would greatly appreciate, been searching the site and read about ones in australia, and read that there are some breeders in the uk, but as yet i havent tracked any breeders down

Would really appreciate any replies

Thanks

Gary
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Rookgeordiegirl

Rookgeordiegirl New Member

Name:
    Jeanette
    The only thing I can tell you is that a distant relation bought one, a dog, and it was really hard work and a great escape artist definately not for the faint hearted
  4. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    They are not easy. There are several breeders in the UK, they have never taken off because they are not that easy to manage. They are a Foxhound that works to the gun. My boss had one, unfortunately his temperament was such that he was PTS due to attacking his owners. They are very experienced Hound people too.
  5. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    There used to be a couple of people in Agility several years ago when I was farting about in the sport and their hounds used to regularly bog off out of the ring.........for some considerable time..........
  6. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
  7. EgyptGal

EgyptGal New Member

Name:
    SHARON
    How about a trailhound ? type in trailhound welfare and you will find some pics and info I fostered one for a few months and he was gorgeous !
  8. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
  9. OceaniaHamilton

OceaniaHamilton New Member

Name:
    Ashley
    Anne and Azz like this.
    I own two Hamiltonstovare and I can tell you right now that they are not for everybody. They suit my needs and fit me but I would never let them off lead. My female is my service dog and is very bonded with me. My male is nearly 3 years old and acts like a 4 month old puppy most of the time. He is just now starting to settle down and he is learning to be a service dog.

Hamiltonstovare can be very stubborn, are extraordinarily smart and with that intelligence means that they can be very naughty. My guys have never had a vicious moment, the only tale I have heard of aggression has been once and very rare.

Hamiltons can be very vocal and destructive. They will get bored easily so having lots of toys is mandatory. My two are very elegant and they know it. They get about an hour of off lead time in my securely fenced in yard daily. My male is also a competitive weight puller, he will pull for hours and take about 10 minutes to have a drink of water and is back at it if I let him. Everything is a game with my two, I keep their minds active, play tracking games with them, compete in conformation shows, service dog work, my female is starting Rally training, lure coursing, weight pull, etc. They are a true all around breed and need a person that is just as clever as they are to be truly happy.
  10. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Thanks for adding your thoughts to the thread Ashley - if you get a moment, please post some photos of your dogs :)