Hamiltonstovare Discussions

Discussion in 'Hamiltonstovare' started by Discussion Thread, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Discussion Thread

Discussion Thread New Member

Hamiltonstovare

Hamiltonstovare
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. HuntinHound

HuntinHound New Member

Name:
    Sharen
    Right, well, hope I am posting correctly :mrgreen:

My husband and I imported 2 HamiltonStövare in 2003. A handsome young man (Edward) and a lovely little bitch (Elly). These guys came all the way from England when they were 8mths & 6mths old - was a pretty long plane trip for them.

We have been very fortunate that these 2 have done us proud and in 2005 whelped our first litter of which 2 babies remained. A Dog & A Bitch ... the dog is pictured in my introduction post (Diesel) and young Miss Emily is pictured below.

Australia's total registered HamiltonStövare population currently sits at 26 which I think can be considered pretty rare :smt002

[​IMG]
  4. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    They havent really taken off here, I think the breed was dominated by a couple breeders to begin with, but now there are a few more. Type seems to vary incredibly here, some more like the Finnish Hound, some like Bloodhounds, all cheek, jowel and slobber! Some are HUGE, and judges have commented on this too, I think the breed needs unifying with a group of dedicated breeders, but with one of the original now not breeding (I thought that type was correct) I cant see it happening.

Good luck with your dogs.
    Dawn.
  5. HuntinHound

HuntinHound New Member

Name:
    Sharen
    Yes, I know what you mean with regard to the variances of 'type' in both Sweden & England however I think the English have the variances down pat!! :smt002

Our research prior to getting involved with this breed was somewhat confusing in that we did not know what exactly we were looking for and it was downright scarey at times until we were lucky enough to meet a couple of Swedish breeders who are very generous with their time & advice for us and steered us in a certain direction.

Our aim is to not be blinded but be guided and I am greatful for the input of everyone who has helped us along the way - anyone who has experienced this handsome breed and has knowledge to share is welcome to contact us.

We have a couple of dogs from one of the original breeders (in England) in our lines only 2 generations or so back but whilst both our imported Dog & Bitch have these dogs behind them they also have Swedish counterparts from differing lines and the mix I believe is heading in the right direction. Everyone is going to have their own take on what 'type' is correct or incorrect but a blind man can see those that you have mentioned just aren't right.

My wish is to win the lottery so I can go to Sweden and spend a year or so just pottering around and learning everything I can .... I am hoping for Swedish semen in a couple of years so the 'researching' begins again :mrgreen:
  6. tink

tink New Member

Name:
    Natasha
    Miss emily is just stunning.
    I adore the breed,
    My Hubby was very nearly swayed when we researched the Beagle,he prefers a taller hound.
    I have been talking to a lady who breeds and shows them in Scotland who has about 12 and they are all beautiful dogs.
  7. Deccy

Deccy New Member

Name:
    n/a
    I love this breed, a long standing Dally exhibitor (hello Eric if you're reading this) breeds them in the Midlands (UK) but now I am in Ireland, there are very few in fact I think I have only seen one at shows. Dallies are moving to the scenthound Group in June so I will be able to keep more of an eye on them!
    I'm very tempted to acquire one and double the population in Ireland!:lol:
  8. HuntinHound

HuntinHound New Member

Name:
    Sharen
    Tempted?? well come now, don't just be tempted - Double that Irish population and help spread the word about what magnificent dogs these guys are to live with !! :)

When we imported Edward & Eloise (Elly) they brought the Aussie total to 4 !! Edward is the Sire of the first 2 litters bred here with one of his Sons being the Sire of the litter we now have on the ground .... Currently my household consists of 2 Siberian Huskies (desexed male & female who rule the roost), 4 Hamiltons and 9 x 7wk old baby Hamiltons.

I've yet to post in the website threads or update my website with a link to here so can't mention my website url but if you google HamiltonStovare and look for Australia you'll find us ... (it's purely non commercial and I will update in the next couple of days)

Would love to post profiles of Erics Hamiltons or anyone else that is owned by a Hamilton no matter what country as we get enquiries from all over the world - so Eric.. if you're reading this .. PLEASE contact me !!
  9. Sue L

Sue L New Member

Name:
    sue
    I used to own a Hamilton and was lucky in that I ran him loose for the first three years of his life until he disappeared for three hours after a deer. Lead only then after that! Unfortunately he was a very difficult dog to live with because of his temperment and this led to having to have him put to sleep at the age of 7 years.

Sue
  10. HuntinHound

HuntinHound New Member

Name:
    Sharen

REALLY?? you had serious temperment issues?? OMG that's terrible. My guys and those belonging to friends of mine in England & Sweden have never had temperment issues, they are the loveliest, smoochiest, laid back dogs I have ever had the prilviledge of being involved with.

This was one of the reasons we chose them. My 20mth old daughter hangs all over Edward (as did my son before her) and he just lays there and takes it. When he's had enough he gets up and either goes outside or jumps up on the lounge to get away.

Could you PM me further details of your issues and where your dogs came from?? These sorts of things although not nice to hear are things that people need to seriously consider when choosing a dog. I have heard gossip that a certain breeder did have temperment issues with their lines but without seeing or hearing proof from the horses mouth (so to speak) it was hard to believe.

I am in shock that it was that serious you had to PTS. That must have been awful for you to deal with ....
  11. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Maybe you could pm Sue the details of the dogs you heard of with problems and take it from there. She is my boss and I knew the dog for 4/5yrs, he was an extremely volatile and unpredictable dog who bit at least 3 people seriously.
    Dawn.
  12. HuntinHound

HuntinHound New Member

Name:
    Sharen

That is so unlike a Hamilton ... will PM Sue to find out more.