Has anybody out there got a PUGGLE????? Questions

Discussion in 'Pug' started by Deb/Pugglepup, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Deb/Pugglepup

Deb/Pugglepup New Member

Name:
    Debbie

Has anybody out there got a PUGGLE?????

We adopted what we thought was a pug x border terrier........

I thought that the pug and border were quiet little unassuming little dogs.... Not Mindy

She is an adorable little dog who snuggles up for a sneaky kiss on the sofa... but her nose is down as soon as the lead is on..

Anyway, I took her to the vet.... and hey PRESTO!! He has also got one... and Mindy is the double.... of a PUGGLE

She is an unusual little dog (small boxer face) and curly tail !! VERY strong personality and VERY stubborn! They are as common in the USA as a staffie is in the UK. There are only three breeders in the UK at the moment.

We were hoping to have her spayed on Thursday, but she has come into season yesterday... so we will have to wait until December. She is really feeling sorry for herself. Has anyone else out there got one, and do I expect bad behaviour from her once she has had her op? She is into everything already!! My yorkie has been such a good girl..... Mindy is sooo different !!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. jesterjenn

jesterjenn New Member

Name:
    Jeni
    What's a puggle?

I get really confused with all these designer crossbreed dogs
  4. WhichPets

WhichPets New Member

Name:
    WhichPets
    Pug Beagle :)
    Not got one but see some about!
  5. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
    I think its a pug beagle mix...

As the OP said, very popular in the US and gaining popularity over here... They have better longer noses and so less breathing problems than the Pug, but obviously as with all cross breeds you can't know what traits will be adopted... They can be prone to skin diseases inherited from the pug side and can be difficult to train inherited from the beagle.

They are more popular in America than doodles.

They are cute as buttons though and probably reasonably well suited to city living.

Would love to see pics of your little puggle:)
  6. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    I am surprised there are only three breeders, they seem a lot more common that that.
    I have had 2 through training.
  7. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    There are way more than 3 breeders - virtually any unscrupulous person who owns a pug and has access to a beagle or the other way round is churning them out.

One of the most common mixed breeds to see round here :( :(
  8. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    Pug crossed with a beagle. Hmm - I bet teaching a recall is interesting.
    I understand that Pugs have been overbred and have huge problems with their protruding eyes and flattened snouts, but why cross with a beagle?
    The Russian Fox experiment showed how soon you can change a breed, so it should have been possible to breed back to the original head shape, shouldn`t it?
    This is a site showing a painting of the original type
    http://www.bulldoginformation.com/pug.html

by the way... I`ve never heard either a Pug or a Border Terrier called unassuming before. Feisty, stubborn, active yes... quiet, never.
  9. Deb/Pugglepup

Deb/Pugglepup New Member

Name:
    Debbie
    Thanks for all your replies.... The puggle apparently has an immense amount of disabilities due to unscrupulous people breeding the pug bitch. The Bitch MUST be the beagle.... obviously due to the size.....

I have been looking at the various web sites, and these pups are being sold for at least £450. I think this is disgraceful... Surely, they are a Mongrel with more than one breed included !!!
  10. K'Ehleyr

K'Ehleyr New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Just had look on a free ad site. Some are being sold for 1500 :shock:
  11. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    I saw one on e pupz the other day for £1500 too :roll:
  12. Deb/Pugglepup

Deb/Pugglepup New Member

Name:
    Debbie
    Its disgraceful, isn't it?

My Cross Beagle is adorable. Don't believe in these so called Designer Dogs.
  13. border pop

border pop New Member

Name:
    BORDERPOP
    There is a pug x border near to me (Bug?!!!). He's cute in an ugly sort of way but imagine border terrier sized teeth crammed into a pug mouth!!! they are doubled up like a sharks!!!:?
  14. Deb/Pugglepup

Deb/Pugglepup New Member

Name:
    Debbie
    Surely that is going to cause problems at some stage!! Can you imagine the plaque build up there??

Its not fair that people are crossing the wrong sorts of breeds together.........:?
  15. dentalhand

dentalhand New Member

Name:
    chloe
    HI yes I just got a Puggle he is 10 weeks old.
    Cauld Bernard! lovely Dog.
    Very clever and loves to give loads of love and kisses.
    Cant wait to take him for a walk.
    Finding a bit hard leaving him! Gets a tad anxious.
    How did you train yours?
  16. Deb/Pugglepup

Deb/Pugglepup New Member

Name:
    Debbie
    We rescued Mindy when she was 8 months old from DT. She is the most adorable little girl. She has a wonderful temperament, and we are very lucky to have her around.

With regards to training, general behaviour is great. She was already house trained, and understood sit, stay, no, get down, and the general basics.

Are you crate training Bernard? We have never used a crate with either of our dogs. Make sure you take him outside every couple of hours to use the loo. Mindy still suffers with SA when left alone longer than a couple of hours. We would leave her for about 20 mins to begin with, then extend it for an extra 10/15 mins each time & leave her with a stuffed kong to keep her occupied.

We are working really hard on recall at the moment, and 9 times out of 10 will come back. She really enjoys learning new 'tricks'.

Hope you are as lucky with Bernard as we have been with Mindy. Enjoy your little squashy face as much as we do.
  17. Sosha

Sosha New Member

Name:
    Sosha
    Met a Puggle pup (10months) on our walk today (group outing). He was a Cracking little dog. Had a sprint around with the lodger & a good time was had by all.