Healing a greyhound leg injury (intentionally not in Dog Health) Health

Discussion in 'Greyhound' started by dizzi, Mar 12, 2012.

1. dizzi

dizzi New Member

Name:
    anon

Healing a greyhound leg injury (intentionally not in Dog Health)

This is here, as opposed to in general health as it's much more greyhound specific.

Basically - Nancy had quite a nasty back leg injury while racing - looking into her background she surprisingly came back from it - but it left a long vertical scar running up her back leg. It's been fine up until now - but the silly moo's managed to lick it sore for some reason or other (when she licks she tends to get a bit "stuck" on one place and forgets she's meant to move on to groom somewhere else of her... usually it's somewhere completely ridiculous like the table leg or sofa, but on this occasion it seems to be her leg) - and of course when it's sore... that needs more licking doesn't it!

Most of it's only red and slightly irritated, but two patches of it she's licked to the point of making them bleed slightly - have put a dressing on it over yesterday, and changed it this morning (she's been an exemplary patient on that front - apart from the farting while I was fiddling around near her rear - thanks Nan!) and it seems to be dying down a bit - the bandage is mainly to keep her from licking it any worse really.

Added complication is that since it's an offshoot of a racing scar - I think it's uncovered by her insurance - would be touch and go but I'd work on the general assumption they wouldn't pay out (anything coming from her racing past is excluded) - and with the baby on the way in the next 2 months things are tight financially anyway - so ideally I'm trying to avoid getting into a cycle of trips to the vet, and I think all they'll do initially is re-dress the wound anyway same as I've done. If she has to go she has to go - just if it's healable at home it would help (especially since I have no transport during the day to get to anywhere, and being on crutches I can't even walk or bus anywhere easily either).

Any suggestions what else I can do - she hasn't got a cone of shame collar on yet - basically because I can't get to a shop during the day anyway, and because I'm not sure how well they'll work with greyhound small heads meaning she could probably slip it quite easily, and because I'm not sure I can cope with the sulking to be honest.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. JamieWilson

JamieWilson New Member

Name:
    JamieWilson
    Just had a similar problem.
    Paddy one of our greys licks any wounds to the point were he will remove any skin he can get at.

Recently he had one, dressing on for a couple of days (make sure the wound is clean first), then we tried a cone but he just kept managing to squeeze his tiny greyhound head out of it.

In the end some steroid cream did the job, it improved the healing a lot more than I was expecting. A firm Paddy! when he started licking and he soon got the idea.

I'd give the cone a miss really, waste of money. If you tie it tight enough to stay on she will be really uncomfortable.

Hope she gets better soon. :)

Edit: Insurance will count this as an old injury and won't pay. The steroid cream was £16 from our vets.
  4. dizzi

dizzi New Member

Name:
    anon
    Poor girl - she's currently got bright pink pyjamas with the crotch cut out of them up to the waist band micropore taped around her thighs to keep them on so she can not lick the leg, and air can still get to it.... it's quite a picture!
  5. zoe1969

zoe1969 New Member

Name:
    Zoe
    One of the best creams I've found with Guinness is Sudocrem. It seems to heal a multitude of things.
    Rub it in the sore bits and cover for a few days.
    :005: :005: :005: ....I'm sorry...I just have this vision of Nancy farting in your face!! LOL!!:005: :005: :005:
  6. dizzi

dizzi New Member

Name:
    anon
    Oh god it was a toxic one as well!

Hadn't thought of sudocreme - got tonnes of the stuff lying around here as well. Seems to have at least scabbed over overnight now the air's getting to it so if I need to I can at least bandage it over and not get the whole icky new scab stuck to the bandage thing going on... I don't think the one-legged pink pyjama look is quite her thing though (and I know hubby's going to sulk at having to take her out for a walk in it)!
  7. zoe1969

zoe1969 New Member

Name:
    Zoe
    Aloe vera gel / cream is supposed to be good too. It had healing properties and it doesn't matter if she licks it off. I've not tried it myself though. xx
  8. JamieWilson

JamieWilson New Member

Name:
    JamieWilson
    We use the Aloe vera gel on the dogs pads if they get cracked or sore. Works well.