Hello, opinions on Irish Blue Staffs wanted please.. Discussions

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by phill14, Sep 27, 2010.

1. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    The blue in Staffords is a dilute of Black Brindle, not a colour gene at all. As a recessive dilute gene both parents must carry it to get blues
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. dominique

dominique New Member

Name:
    Domo
    i own a irish staffy hes very smart and can jump 6 ft high he is very hyper and there breed needs lots of exercise but is just a joy to have as a dog some people might say its a irish staffy but realy its a blue pit because when pitbulls got banned in england dog fighters called pits irish staffordshire bull terriers.
  4. Tizerrip

Tizerrip New Member

Name:
    Pete
    Hi all ,first post here so bare with me .Firstly what is an irish staff well imo it is an atheletic dog taller than the kc staff standard and yes they do have pit bull genes in there lineage.Wether they are pure pit is debatable and if they are so what ?The use of this name as far as i am concerned only indicates a dog of a certain structure.Re:temperament all dogs i have owned or bred have either their dams ,sires or a mixture of both.So if you are buying a pup make sure you see both parents and ask for references from owners of dogs from previous litters if possible.Finally let me attempt to settle this argument re: blues.I have discussed this argument with hunt terrier men and they state that if you breed two dogs and the offspring look like their parentsthen you are 80% sure that they will be as game .Now before you all start saying i advocate gameness in my dogs because i'm involved in dog fighting nothing could be farther from the truth.What im trying to explain is that breeding dogs which are of a certain colour is only an issue if you breed for colour alone.If both parents are of an excellent temperament,healthyand athlectic you should have offspring of the same type.If the market place means that blues are more expensive blame it on capitalism or just buy a pup on my guidance above,lets face it if you are buying a dog because of its colour then you shouldnt be owning a dog fullstop.
  5. scottyvdub

scottyvdub New Member

Name:
    SCOTTY
    hi i have copied this from direct gov site-

What is a ‘type’ of banned dog?
    Whether your dog is a banned type depends on what your dog actually looks like, rather than the breed or name by which it is called.
    If your dog matches many of the characteristics of a Pit Bull Terrier, it may be treated as a banned type, no matter what type or breed its parents were. (Cross-bred and mongrel dogs can have the characteristics of a Pit Bull Terrier.)
    Pit Bull type dogs
    Pit Bull types can be called:
    American Staffordshire Terriers
    Irish Staffordshire Terriers
    Irish Blue or Red Nose
    Some kinds of American Bulldogs have been found to be Pit Bull types.
    Staffordshire Bull Terriers
    Staffordshire Bull Terriers are not listed in the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991. You are allowed to own this breed of dog.

a blue staff is just another kc accepted color of staff, it never used to be a very sort after color. but now selling a "irish blue staff" is the new thing, and like others have said i can be used as code for a pit, but believe what you want it is a banned dog, so like others have said please drop the irish bit for your dogs sake,i will paste the site address . the whole "what dogs is banned" is very open and flakey.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/InYourHome/AnimalsAndPets/DG_180098
  6. scottyvdub

scottyvdub New Member

Name:
    SCOTTY
    just checked
    Tizerrip this is an old post
  7. Tizerrip

Tizerrip New Member

Name:
    Pete
    Well lets stand back and admire the result fom said ban we now have a breed/type of banned pit that would reduce any good dog man 2 tears A leggy,cow hocked nervous bag of bbones owned by ppl who regard their fighting dog as a badge of honour.We can see the irony of such a decision it's apity that the peoplewho pass these laws judge a book by its cover
  8. bullys4ever

bullys4ever New Member

Name:
    tony
    I love staffs and have kept them for over 25 years but something i have noticed in recent years is that many NOT all the blue staffs coming through are sadly looking thin and dull i think this is due to unscrupulous amd inexperienced owners throwing together a couple of scrawny dogs just for profit and hoping to get a few blues to sell for exhorbitant prices as some fools will buy an expensive blue pup just for the colour and not even bothered if its scrawny or the parents are scrawny and under nourished.The first blues i ever saw were usually in great shape and stature but sadly it isnt always the case nowadays.