Help! I have messed up and my mal is becoming unruly. Questions

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois)' started by Ju1i3, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Ju1i3

Ju1i3 New Member

Name:
    Buddy

Help! I have messed up and my mal is becoming unruly.

My boyfriend and I have a two year old malinois together who was just neutered. Buddy (our fur baby) has never really fit the traditional hard-working mal type but usually listens when my boyfriend seriously asking him to do something (he has never really taken me serious but has always been well enough it hasn't been a personal problem). However, he now does what he wants regardless of what we say or do. Our lives between two jobs and school have been busy and we haven't been able to take him to the park our exercise him as extensively. This is not to say that we don't come home Is that the cause of him turning into a destructive asshole? He now bites, CONSTANTLY licks you, jumps on people and and gone back to chewing on EVERYTHING. He as reverted back to his four month old puppy self.
    Has anyone had this experience or has any tips?
    I need help while working on finding an experienced trainer near me.
    We have tried to work him at home with finding treats in bottles or dog puzzles but it hasn't kept his attention and does relieve any of his assholness.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    I personally don’t think you need to go to the expense of a “ trainer “ as I think he is just behaving as a puppy would.
    If you are going to hire someone, maybe, you money would be spent on a “ dog walker “ certainly find a way to give this pup some extra time playing
    Have you considered “ crate training “ we did and it made the puppy months a lot less stressful
    Crates are not used as punishment and we always made sure Yoji had been excercised well before putting him in
    Are they anything you would consider ?
  4. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Chris B and CaroleC like this.
    High energy breeds like Mals need to be able to release that energy, boredom leads to destructive behaviour.
    He is now reaching maturity, and needs firm but positive handling, training and exercise every day.
    The breed was bred to work so need a job or ‘activity’ that gives them mental and physical exercise.
    You really need to find the time to attend training or sport classes, or things won’t improve.
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  5. Ju1i3

Ju1i3 New Member

Name:
    Buddy
    He was actually crate trained for a while but within the last year we stopped using it. He had a major freak out on day while we were both a work and messed himself up pretty bad so we have been hesitant but have been slowly reintroducing him to the idea.
  6. Ju1i3

Ju1i3 New Member

Name:
    Buddy
    We are looking for classes/groups near by! Do you have any suggestions on jobs or games to try out? He doesn't seem to like many of the puzzles we've tried and always resorts to chewing through them rather than working them as intended. I feel like such a horrible owner but we love him entirely too much to rehome him without revising our lifestyles for him.
  7. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    When you work with your dog everyday that's mental exercise, on walks/at home, some basic obedience, fun games ect :

There is lots of games/training one can do (find it game, with titbits inside or outside’ flirt pole, good for exercise and teaching self control.

Hide and Seek (Inside and outside)I hide, they come to find me, it helps build a good recall.

Fetch/roll over/ shake hands /cup game, which cup is the treat under ect: all fun games.

Agility /obedience classes/ working trials ect:
  8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka and GsdSlave like this.
    Tracking. The simplest way is for one human to go ahead and take a path through a wood, and the other to follow after a short break with the dog on a moderately long line. The quarry can either be air scented, or by placing occasional rewards, the dog can be encouraged to put his nose down and actually follow footsteps, (begin with short, easy patterns for this).
    Search for an article hidden in long grass, or under leaves. This can be a very useful trick - one of my dogs once found a fellow dog walker's car keys on a field.
    Give names to toys and articles, put them in a pile or in a box, and ask him to bring each toy or item by its name.
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Beware, entertaining your dog can start to take over your life though.
    IMG_20160815_200852.jpg