Help needed with Malinois Rescue

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois)' started by Josephfox88, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Josephfox88

Josephfox88 New Member

Name:
    Joseph Hodgkinson

Help needed with Malinois

Hi everyone,

My girlfriend Lizzie and I are looking after a Malinios called Mocca while she is looking for a new home after being abandoned last year. We have had her a year now and the association that technically owns her is still looking for a permanent home. Although we are completely charmed by her, this year has been one of the hardest of my life. Mocca has had to have an operation on her hip, we found out she has an old injury that is quite serious an inoperable and led to her damaging her knee (she isn't in pain but her hip is damaged from a huge blow, maybe a car or bat..), she has bitten a few people and generally got herself into a few scrapes (Ate a poo that had marijuana in it!).

We have now realised that she is never going to get adopted until we train her properly and turn her into a good dog, or at least one that doesn't bite!

Our main problem is she is aggressive with people on the street when she is on the lead. If I stop to speak to anyone or someone approaches us, she snarls and tries to bite them. Sometimes she lets people stroke her and then all of a sudden turns on them. We have noticed that off the lead she is much better and, apart from the odd run in with other dogs, she is basically a different animal. We wondered if she was being protective of us? She's very possessive with her toys and will chase away other dogs if they come near when she has a ball or toy.

In the house she is very tranquil, and easy going but if someone comes to the door she gets very nervous and protective of her space. We have to greet people outside and introduce everyone slowly, asking them not to touch her - which isn't ideal.

Does anyone have experience of these types of issues? or any guidance to where I could find more information about aggressive Malinios behaviour?

Thanks,

Lizzie, Joseph and Mocca
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    Hi—I’m new around here, but I had a very similar situation.
    This worked for me. I got extremely lucky, but I would try it. It can’t hurt.
    I called our local PD and asked to speak to a K9 handler. One called back, put me in touch with a K9 Officer that does training on his time off.
    He has been training us for months. One of the best things that’s ever happened to me. He turned a rescued, wild, out of control gsd into a really nice and mostly cooperative pet.
    It’s worth a try. Good luck!! no matter what. I know it’s not easy!!!!
    Police are using malinois a lot, so there are more and more malinois handlers. Again, good luck.

P.S. The Officers generally don’t want to see these amazing dogs end up in shelters. So they may, at least, be able to point you in the right direction.
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  4. Josephfox88

Josephfox88 New Member

Name:
    Joseph Hodgkinson

Thanks! That is a good idea. I would hate it if she did something stupid and ended up in big trouble so we really need to arrest the behaviour now before it's too late! Thanks
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    It sounds like fear aggression, not protectiveness.
    I would find a good trainer/behaviorist that’s confident and competent in dealing with a reactive dog, I would look for one that has experience with mals and large working breeds.

In the meantime I would keep a safe distance between her and people/dogs, get her to focus on you with toy or titbit,
  6. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    Hi Liz, Joe and Mo—It’s don with the wild gsd again
    It’s easy to say, but you need to do it quickly. Also, finding a competent trainer is like playing dice.
    Before I hired the K9 Officer, I found a guy on the Internet. He sounded great. He was even Army in SE Asia at the same time as I was.
    He charged me $250.00 an hour five times and Max just got worse. It was only by the grace of God I found the K9 Officer.
    I hope you find a kind and competent trainer very soon! A Malinois gone sideways because of poor training isn’t something anybody needs. Plus the danger factor is always there.
    Best of luck, don
  7. Thors Hooman

Thors Hooman New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Old likes this.
    I'm sorry Mocca is having some issues and I want to thank you for loving her through that. The Belgian Malinois is a very complicated dog and they all struggle in one way or another. They are very sensitive to correction and require LOTS of exercise or they become destructive or depressed. That in mind they aren't really pets and should NOT be kenneled while the owners work. Doing so can result in an aggressive, destructive, depressed Mal. If you need to kennel her I would advise you to reconsider adopting her. I am able to be with mine 24 hours a day, otherwise I wouldn't have adopted him. Now onto Moccas issues.
    Biting: She is a Malinois and they are very "bitey" and oral, even when it's not out of aggression. It comes with the territory and I have yet to meet one that doesn't greet people with mouth wide open lol but I'm sure it can be done :)
    I have a 2 yr old male rescue and he has some of the same issues. Biting: He "bites" our hands and leads us around with our sleeve cuffs and actually bites when he is hyper but it's usually clothes. Physicality: He body slams...a lot, and finds it quite fun. Imagine police dog takedowns where they slam into a person to knock them over. But he will come out of nowhere and do it to me. Not cool Thor. Agression: He is very wary of people and will push me away and growl if they get too close. She might be being protective but it's likely out of general fear. My boy is very cautious and sometimes quite nervous and I think it's a personality trait for some. Being possessive of toys is normal for all breeds so don't worry about that. You aren't alone in your frustration and I hope things look up for you all.
  8. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    I
    I tried to hit “like” but I think I hit “unlike”. Sorry.
    I had to laugh because my gsd has body slammed me also. it wasn’t a fun game for me but max seemed to enjoy seeing me gasping for air. He had fun.
  9. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    One could say that about any breed, not many people can be with their dogs 24/7, and I see no harm in kenneling /with run attached or leaving adult dogs indoors for few hours if the dog is given mental as well as physical exercise, and in the correct hands I don’t see why they can't be companion dogs.

Police /military ‘Mals’ are kenneled when not working/exercising.
  10. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    I know a Police Trainer and handler. His mal likes to take mental breaks in his kennel. My gsd does the same. It’s all in them not thinking it’s punishment. Mine trots in and out of his cage, sometimes I’ll find him asleep in his cage. My trainer says NOTHING bad can ever happen to him in his cage. He says that is very very important. To the dog it’s a place of peace and mental rest. Just never let him out when he barks. He’ll put two and two together and he’ll train you to come when he calls. Not what you want at all.
  11. suaveflooder

suaveflooder New Member

Name:
    Brian
    Old post,
    old post but this is 100% true. Police mals are in their crate a good amount AND sit in a car for 10 hour periods at a time and the handler you front isn’t exactly paying attention to them (they can’t really with all they do).

the dog is fine alone, BUT they need to be stimulated enough. I have found that walks don’t do much. Obviously they will all have different personalities, but mine will sleep for HOURS with some good brain stimulation. I have nothing but issues if I am just walking her. Even if it is multiple times a day for a good distance.