Help with fear of nail clipping grooming etc Questions

Discussion in 'Jack Russell Terrier' started by TracyU, Aug 2, 2019.

1. TracyU

TracyU New Member

Name:
    Tracy

Help with fear of nail clipping grooming etc

Hello, I have a Jack/Chi rescue named Oliver, he's such a sweet boy
    I got him from the Humane Society April 2018. He just had a birthday July 14th so he is 2 years old.
    So I took him back to the Humane Society in May of this year for vaccinations. It was the worst experience ever and upset me greatly and still does. Boo, my 5 year old chiweenie went also and she was rescued from there also and she was So anxious she didnt want to get out of the car. Little Oliver didnt have fear so he was a bit anxious but not alot. The vet had an assistant hold him, she gave him an injection in his right leg muscle, he cried so she took it out and the assistant continued to hold him and then she put the needle back in. She was a horrible vet to react that way, she hurt him twice. They also convinced me to get Parvo for both which I have found out is not necessary.
    So he was depressed when we got home, they both were and since then I can't begin to clip nails or have it done at Petsmart, my dogs run away when I try to brush them, use dry shampoo rubbed on my hands, or even try to wipe eye goo off with a paper towel. Oliver runs up to the bedroom and hides and it makes me very sad. I feel awful that they don't trust me and don't understand it.....I don't know what to do they need to see vets for check ups, and I would groom them if they would let me but it is a no go all around. It's not good to let their nails go, not clean their teeth etc so any ideas at all would be great thanks
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    Not a nice thing for a vet to do, hurting a dog when giving a vaccination, but why give it intramuscularly in a rear leg when vaccinations are normally given subcutaneously in the scruff of the neck, and should take literally a matter of seconds. And no way should it need an assistant to hold the dog. I have never known a vet who has hurt any dog I have ever had when giving them an injection.

It sounds like it was very distressing for both your little dogs and also for you.

Regarding Parvo - in my opinion it really is necessary for a dog to be covered against it, but is it not included as a part of regular yearly vaccinations?