Hound for novice owner Questions

Discussion in 'Hound Forum' started by k9paw, Nov 28, 2010.

1. k9paw

k9paw New Member

Name:
    H
    Thankyou for all your help and advice, it's much appreciated. I have seen Otter Hounds before and was very taken with them, whippets were a breed I considered just before getting present dog (wear a flat cap and live in Yorkshire so would fit well:lol: ). Have seen some lovely lurchers that look similar to wolf/deer hounds. It might be bit of a wait but am sure will find another dog when the time is right:)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. madisondobie

madisondobie New Member

Name:
    madisondobie
    Hi, Ive had three irish wolfhounds and they are a fantastic breed (we had them at the same time as our yorkshire terriers) gentle giants that like to dig huge holes in the garden and mine were were big chewers when pups, they were wonderful girls all three of them but their short life expectancy is a big down side to owning one my girls were 7years, 6 years and just 2 1/2years when i lost them.
  4. jaymacv

jaymacv New Member

Name:
    Jay
    Well, I love greys too, and would recommend them... 8)
    But if greys aren't your thing, maybe you could look at slightly more unusual breeds, like the Portuguese Podengo, the Saluki, Cirneco dell'Etna, Azawakh, Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen (delightfully shaggy), Basenji, Borzoi and Cretan hound? :shock: :lol: Although, I must admit, a lot of those hounds aren't really suitable for novices, and the Azawakh is also very rare...
    Beagles and Bassetts are meant to be kind, loving, and novice dogs, but, you know, nothing is the same... :?
    Definitely recommend greyhounds, whippets and deerhounds, and if you want a gentle giant that will love you for its (shortish) life, then you could consider a Wolfhound.
    You mentioned Bloodhounds, and those are gorgeous dogs (only ever met one). They are known however, for rushing off after a scent, following their (best in dogdom) nose, and are also quite willful and hard to train. ;-) If you're not put off, I'm sure a bloodhound would be excellent, but you have to be unafraid of drool! :lol: Also, they have a shorty life and need to be excellently cared for to prevent illnesses from cropping up.

Jay.
  5. k9paw

k9paw New Member

Name:
    H
    Thankyou, I love all dogs but fell in love with the IWH some years ago after meeting a gentleman with two and a Yorkshire Terrier. I have never had two dogs at the same time(have looked after other peoples though) and is a lot to take into consideration but feel for all in rescue or for re-homing (guilty even). Am looking towards next year at the earliest :)
  6. TomtheLurcher

TomtheLurcher New Member

Name:
    Maureen
    I saw an Azawakh at Discover Dogs , a truly beautiful hound ! But agree not for novices but I would love one in the future as a pup , always had rescues and now this is my dream pup !
  7. jaymacv

jaymacv New Member

Name:
    Jay
    :grin: they are very gorgeous, but I wouldn't dream of owning one! I'm far too novice for them... :blush: lol
  8. k9paw

k9paw New Member

Name:
    H
    Stop being silly! I am not a novice dog owner or in experienced with dogs at all. If you want to ridicule me then please do it somewhere else!
  9. k9paw

k9paw New Member

Name:
    H
    Apologies to jaymacv if took your post out of context, was little out of sorts at time.
  10. jaymacv

jaymacv New Member

Name:
    Jay
    did i do something wrong? I'm sorry if I did.
  11. k9paw

k9paw New Member

Name:
    H
    Hi jaymacv, no you didn't do anything wrong, please don't be sorry, and I can only apologise for being an over sensitive silly old bat sometimes:blush: Hope there's no ill feeling.
  12. jaymacv

jaymacv New Member

Name:
    Jay
    thats okay :049:
  13. Insomnia

Insomnia New Member

Name:
    Melanie
    Just wondering if you've made any decision at the moment?
  14. HiHoSilver

HiHoSilver New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Irish Wolfhound Rescue Trust: Mrs J Malley Ainsea Cottage, Chapel Lane, Holmeswood, Lancashire L40 1UD
    Ph: 01704 823532

There are so many greys in rescue it is not hard to find one that is small animal friendly but if your heart is set on a wolfie...

Excellent wolfie breeders,expert and very nice people:
    Vic Harrison and Jenny Dove
    The Swan,
    Three Mile Cross
    Reading
    Berks
    They occassionally have BLACK wolfies - amazing looking dogs!
    Sorry don't have a number for them but Directory Enq will.