How is everyone in the current situation? General Chat

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Malka, Mar 12, 2020.

1. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    I would suggest not to let people pet your dog at this time. They could get it on their fur and the virus could be passed that way..
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I agree with @Malka. Malka
    There was a pet dog in China that was nasally swabbed and recorded as a 'weak positive', but the dog was living with a Covid 19 sufferer and could have just breathed in infected droplets. The dog itself was not ill. Corona type viruses are common in dogs and cats, but these are not the same as Covid 19, and are not transmissable to humans.
  4. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    Juli, do wrap yourself in cotton wool. We are doing so as much as is practicable by taking the measures you have been advised. This virus is a killer for the elderly and those with underlying conditions so better to be safe than sorry
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    An amendment. The common cold is a corona virus, and can be shared between humans and cats and dogs. Covid 19 is not transmissable.
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    According to Reuters and as reported yesterday in the J-m Post

https://www.jpost.com/International...er-release-from-coronavirus-quarantine-621375

7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Well if HE is wearing one...

[​IMG]
    ...someone should tell him that it has to go over his nose as well as his mouth!
  8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
  9. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    As the lady won't allow an autopsy we will never know what killed the dog, but at 17 years old, it's a fair bet that the stress of quarantine and old age are the more likely cause
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    There are now new instructions on Shufersal's website for online shopping. When placing an order it asks you to state anyone in the household is in solitary confinement. Fair enough - all deliveries are supposed to be to the doorstep only now in any case, so why ask? And you cannot just say "No" - or "Yes" if that is the case. I have learned by trial and error that you have to type "There is nobody in this household who is in solitary confinement" before they will accept the order.

Which begs the question - what would they do if you said that there was someone in quarantine?

So far Shufersal do not appear to be limiting the number of items per product although I have not bothered to check sanitising gel as I have some, toilet paper ditto and the macolet had a huge delivery yesterday, or anything else that people seem to be panic buying, whereas iHerb in the US are now limiting everything to a maximum of four items for all products and most of their cough and cold remedies, both herbal and homeopathic, are currently out of stock, as are a lot of things like oats and other grains, various pastas, and most things like Mac & Cheese.
  12. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    On the way back from our walk this morning, the Aldi car park was packed with cars, and there seemed to be a gaggle of people at the entrance, qeueing to get access. How's that for social isolation? I have never seen anything like it in our little town. The pensioners early shopping slot seems to have been a failure, as the stores were just swamped at opening time. We are told that supplies have not been reduced, but the vultures are said to be snatching goods off the trolleys before the staff have had time to load them onto the shelves.
    A local raw feeder was worried about maintaining his dogs supply, and decided that he had better buy a reserve freezer. He says that he has been unable to locate a moderately priced one, as the demand for them has been so great. I'm just hoping that everybody ends up so short of storage space that the supermarkets quieten down a little. I'm not prepared to stand in long queues, even if it means living on veggie curries for a little while!
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I am just glad that I do not have to go out for anything, not that I have been anywhere apart from the macolet for years now. The Ninja brought my meds round earlier - my prescription is put on my GP's computer for four months at a time and when my Health Fund card is swiped through at a pharmacy they can issue the meds, which are paid for by direct debit. Amit keeps my card and instead of only being able to get one month's supply each month, as it used to be, he now gets the lot at one time. All apart from diazepam which I need as a muscle relaxant before I go to bed as my stupid body just locks up from having to be in the chair all the time, and because it is a benzodiazepine one month's supply can be issued at a time.

He also brought the promised masks and a bottle of hand sanitiser - which I said I did not need but he brought in any case, and I had yet another lecture about not going out and not letting anyone in without putting a mask on first. He, like all paramedics, has had to shave his beard off so that he can wear a mask properly, and I miss his neat little goatee-type beard. I also miss my hug :(
  14. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    *Breaking News* - We are now on official lockdown.

"Lockdown will now be enforced using emergency regulations; exceptions include vital work; buying food and medicines and for medical treatment; sports in groups of no more than five; ......Everyone must stay home unless their work has been officially deemed vital...I..If you do go out, don't gather, maintain hygiene, and keep the 2-meter minimum distance from each other..."..........

I do not know what to say really - just feel terribly numb.
  15. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    It feels unreal. Still the problem persists, how do you maintain your distance whilst having to queue at a supermarket!
  16. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Do you know how long it has been since I have gone to a supermarket Carole? In under two week's time my beloved Pereg will have been gone for five years, and for the four years before that I could not leave her because of The Monster. Nine long years and even then it had been many years before then that I ever had to queue.

Even when Amit took me to vote at the beginning of this month I was ushered straight in, in spite of a load of people waiting outside.

Now, of course, I have no choice.

And Tikki is due for her three-monthly Parkworm shot, Bravecto etc - presumably Ram will be classed as doing vital work, but who knows...
  17. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    My vets were working normally, but I noticed that we were called in straight away, and on each of our four visits with Eddie, there was never more than one other person in the waiting room. I presume that they are working a longer day, and allowing more time between appointments. Vicky did say that if the rules changed she would have to come to us.
    I hear others saying that they were only admitted individually, and had to gel their hands on entering and leaving the premises. Seems a bit pointless as it is the same dog that you will be lifting into your car.
  18. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Ram always comes here and I guess his work is considered as vital - I just cannot get my head round it though - it is just like it was during the Gulf War in '91 only worse in a way.
  19. Andrew Sheldon

Andrew Sheldon Member

Name:
    Andrew
    Thanks for your help and good news....
  20. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    Our vets have put out a notice to say if 4 are in the waiting room to tell them you have arrived and what car you are in and they will come out to the car to let you know it's your turn.

Apparently, London and a few other towns have gangs of looters breaking into the supermarkets :(

It's mad and it's very, very scary
  21. Andrew Sheldon

Andrew Sheldon Member

Name:
    Andrew
    Chris and CaroleC like this.
    Here in South west France everything has changed abruptly
    after the restrictions and forms you have to fill in to explain the reasons for leaving the house.. We did a food shop (our last for a long while) at the major supermarket in our nearest town, Villefranche de Rouergue, yesterday. The car park was pretty much empty and very few people inside.. More staff than peeps... All the shops were shut apart from the tabacs.. It was all very spooky...
    The French seem pretty good at following the rules, staying at home and self isolating, it gives me hope that this has a chance to be contained in our region. Hope y'all are faring well and not going bonkers in this lock down... Its a bit too late in my case, was bonkers ages ago....