How is everyone in the current situation? General Chat

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Malka, Mar 12, 2020.

1. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    So I waiting to get tested. I got here right on time (took some fast driving..), the nurse wrote down my name and birthdate and said she’d bring me some paperwork to fill out and be back in 1/2 hour after her lunch. It’s now been over 1/2 hour and nobody has even brought me any paperwork to fill out.. this is frustrating. So I’m getting my patience tested first obviously
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    That is so annoying when you have an appointed time. If you can keep your end of the bargain, they should be able to too. Good luck x
  4. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    CaroleC likes this.
    Well the hour wait was worth it because I got the rapid test, which I didn’t know I was going to get. She said it takes an hour to get results and they’d call me by the end of the day. Hopefully they’ll call sooner, but I’m sure they are busy. I’ll give an update later. I don’t think I have it but keep your fingers crossed for me
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
  6. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Negative, no virus or flu. Yahoo
  7. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    In the last day in my county there were 725 tests and 203 positive tests. That’s a very high positivity rate.

I actually drove 40+ miles to a different county for my test today so I’m not sure how or where my negative test will be counted
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    B"H for that, Marc! Please keep safe and keep well - and Happy New Year to you, Bandit and Katie Mae.
  9. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC likes this.
    I've gotta ask, Juli, what does B"H mean? :)
  10. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    I’m not sure Juli will want to write it so I hope it’s ok with her that I do. I will split it into two posts out of respect for her beliefs

Bless
  11. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    CaroleC likes this.
    Him
  12. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    Ah, thank you. I've often wondered :)

We've just had the worst news. My nephew (45) was rushed into hospital last night with Covid :(
  13. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Oh dear I’m so sorry to hear that. I’ve a friend from previous job who lives with her mom, brother, sister in law and nephew. Somehow all the rest of them got it but she didn’t. Her SIL had to be hospitalized and put on a ventilator, last week. They lightened her SIL’s medication a few days ago and apparently she didn’t like the tube down her throat, so she removed it herself... she’s out of the ICU but still in the hospital and receiving PT. Her throat is very sore so she still can’t speak but seems to be on the road to recovery
  14. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    @who owns who Thank you Marc - it has puzzled me too.

@Chris I read that very few are being intubated now. Patients are laid on their fronts - or their side if that is not possible. Best wishes for your nephew's recovery.
  15. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    I'm hoping he's going to be OK, but it has caused a blood problem that can lead to the heart suddenly stopping. He's been ill with it for two weeks but after passing out twice he finally let them call for an ambulance.

My other nephew and his wife are both recovering from Covid. Until my nephew's admission to hospital, our main concern was that their mum (who has terminal cancer) would contract it. So far, she seems fine and has tested negative
  16. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Yes I’ve heard they use the ventilator much less now than In the beginning of all this. In the case of my friends SIL they wanted her lungs to rest
  17. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    First things first - had a power cut so I have only just come back to find a computer full of stuff.

@Chris - sending prayers for your nephew.

@who owns who - thank you for explaining it Marc, and apologies to @Chris and @CaroleC and everyone else for automatically using abbreviations that you do not understand. It is so automatic for me that it did not occur to me that of course you would not understand. B"H is an abbreviation for Baruch HaShem - Bless the Name. Basically it is used as Thank G-d. As you see I do not write that word in full, and when spoken we do not use the word except in prayers. We say HaShem - Ha meaning "the" and Shem which means "name"

Back to you Chris, the prayers are that your nephew will speedily recover BS"D which means “with the help of heaven” or G-d Willing. Orthodox people will put either that [B"H] at the top of a letter as well as actually using it when speaking, and it will be on the top of all documents etc.

Again, apologies to everyone for automatically using abbreviations without realising that you do not understand them. It is like I will say "macolet" for the little shop across the road, because it is the word I think of [and is quicker to say or type!] and "trissim" for the louvered window shutters.

Thank you for asking Chris, and thank you again for answering, Marc. Please everyone, if I use a word or expression that you do not understand, just give me a kick and tell me to use proper English!
  18. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Sorry, I missed out a word. I meant to say "Orthodox people will put either that [or B"H] at the top of a letter" although it is BS"D on all documents and official letters.
  19. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    Thanks for the explanations both of you. Actually I had worked out macolet and trissim but the other abbreviations I've wondered about for a while. Now I know :)

I have managed a messenger exchange with Wayne, (nephew in hospital) and he says he's everything they tell him. Lots of tests for the blood and an ordinary oxygen mask for now although his breathing is causing less worries than the effect on his blood.

Hoping and praying he will be fine and can get back to his wife and little girl
  20. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    Today’s test results, 343 positive cases out of 788 tests. Completely out of control. I’m lucky I was negative yesterday. I’m going to try my best to not go shopping. I have 18 rolls of toilet paper, I’ll eat that if I have too
  21. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    So the new strains of virus they have been speaking about when I saw the other day had been discovered in 51 countries , in not much more than 2 weeks since they first found it .

now here the government has committed money towards 2nd generation vaccines or something ,

they are saying if the new more contagious strains of the virus mutate then they should be able to alter the vaccine more easily in the future to work for other strains .

They don’t want to say it directly it appears and panic people , so you have to join the dots yourself to figure out that this thing could be an ongoing drama for a long time ,

and that the first vaccines may in fact not be a definite fix