How is everyone in the current situation? General Chat

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Malka, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I think I am probably the only un-vaccinated person here.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    I'm probably being over-cautious, but after a year of isolation and news of the new variant numbers starting to creep up, I'm on a sort of 'wait and see' to make sure these vaccs are working :)
  4. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    Hopefully, Juli, with the big vaccination take up in Israel you will be safe. I'm hoping it's the same here as the majority are clamouring to get those needles in their arms

Daughter and son-in-law had their second yesterday and my youngest is due his second in 2-3 weeks time. Gary, my eldest, had his jabs at the same time as us.

I imagine my grandkids (almost 17 and almost 19) will be getting theirs in the not too distant future
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    You are probably right Chris - the vaccination take up here has been fantastic, but there is still that little worry at the back of my mind. As Ravit, our new doctor said, I would have to be careful going out even if I was fully vaccinated because of the risk, however slight it might be, and it is just not worth taking that risk, especially as I am quite happy not having to.

One thing is certain though - the risk of the vaccine causing major problems for me is far too high to even chance it.
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I won't eat outside. I can't stand cold food - unless it's a salad of course.
    Lots of informal doggy training groups have continued meeting and throughout lockdown - but with trusted friends, outdoors and well spaced out.
    Unfortunately my two have now passed the competition stage and the thing I have missed most is mixing in doggy circles.
  7. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    The cafe we use for breakfast is brilliant Carole. The food comes out with steam coming off it so, even in winter, it doesn't get cold :)
  8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Well, still waiting for my MRI scan result to assess the damage from last year's fall, and I've done it again!
    Because of the heat, we decided to walk the dogs in the wooded perimeter to the sports fields, which is a bit rough underfoot. I spotted the local dog walker approaching from the opposite direction - on the phone and with her charges off lead. With no space to side-step I reached for Eddie to clip him up and suddenly my feet shot from under me. Chas says the ground was so dry that it crumbled away under my foot. Whatever, down I went bashing both knees, right thigh, and removing the skin from my right elbow and the ball of my thumb - which bled like a stuck pig! The most embarrassing part was that I just couldn't get up on my feet. Of course we were a mile from the car, so I had to trudge, dirty and bloodied, with pieces of tissue flapping like a refugee from The Walking Dead.
    Changed, clean and covered in arnica, I can now see the funny side of it. The thumb will take time, but I can look forward to hours of fun watching my various lumps and bumps change shape and develop a rich inky shade of blue.
  9. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Oh no.. perhaps some ice as well.
  10. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    You poor thing. As a kid, I broke an arm bone every time I fell. Fortunately as I grew up, I stopped.

I did get my hand twisted in a sewer auger (electric drain snake) a couple years ago. Ended up less injured than I thought it would be, but it was ugly.

I almost passed out several times before I got to the ER.

This was a week later after the swelling had gone down some... IMG_20180607_120847.jpg
  11. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    Oh Carole, what are we going to do with you? :)
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Oh 'eck - if that is what it looked like after the swelling had gone down a bit, I dread to think what it must have looked like when it was full blown.
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    How about a neck-to-toe automatically inflatable suit - something like a car air-bag that inflates on impact and stops the person wearing it from hurting themselves.

Would not be comfortable to wear in the heat though, would it.

Carole, please do not keep falling - you worry me.
  14. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Malka likes this.
    It was an inflated rubber glove. And it was covered in grease from the auger - hospital personnel thought it was rotted flesh... Amazingly, I had only broken one bone and it was a clean break and just needed a brace for 6 weeks.
  15. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    CaroleC likes this.

upload_2021-6-16_17-6-6.png
  16. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Well Katie Mae has done something to her foot as she’s been licking it obsessively. She’s walking on it just fine. I’ve put a cone on her, she’s not too happy about that. She’s never had to wear one before. When she was spayed she didn’t mess with the incision. I wasn’t able to determine what it is. I don’t see any blood. I’m thinking a cracked nail, as she hates having her nails done. It’s basically impossible to do her nails, but up to now she’s never broken one. I’ll get a better look at it in the daylight. Might be going to the vets. If I hadn’t put on a cone she’d have licked it totally raw.
  17. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I hope Katie Mae's foot is OK - good thing that you had a cone to put on her. It was not even suggested to put a cone on Lexi when she was spayed and she ignored the sutures completely. I did get one for Pereg but did not put it on her at first - but did a couple of days later when she started getting interested in her sutures. Tikva had staples and ignored them so I did not need to put a cone on her.

Tikki normally only needs her front nails nipped but last time Ram was here he forgot to bring his clippers so they will have to wait until next time.
  18. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    076D9FA9-BF29-45CA-8E4D-73DE868F6D2D.jpeg Katie Mae is expressing her displeasure by making me have the cone on my head too. Pretty smart
  19. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I have these foot things, could it be a splinter?
    Ed had to go to the vet in 2019, (in addition to all his major jobs), as he was obsessively chewing under his foot. I couldn't see anything, and at first neither could the vet, but she gave him a shot to reduce the inflammation and told me to come back the following day. She must have a super pair of specs because she found the offending 'thing'. It was black, bendy, and hardly thicker than a hair, but perhaps half an inch long. I have no idea what it was, but it certainly aggravated my boy.
  20. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Maybe a foxtail or other sticker. They can burrow down into that thick hair easily.

I've been lucky in that my dogs haven't needed cones. I was afraid that Cat-dog was going to lick open Tornado-dog's neuter incision but she was very careful when she washed him (it was very important for her to raise him like her own).
  21. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Our Vet had no appointments today. 2:30 tomorrow. She’s walking on it just fine so I’m not spending the $100 entrance fee at the emergency vet