How is everyone in the current situation? General Chat

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Malka, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    CaroleC likes this.
    So do shepherds, but I've always been able to manage the shed fur. With Tornado-dog, I have to wash all my throw blankets each week because they are covered in strands of hair.

He doesn't have beagle - it's his parsons russell. My Bat-dog had the beagle, but her coat was more boxer and she didn't shed much at all.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Since Katie Mae hates being brushed, a lot of her grooming is plucking clumps of loose fur off of her, which she also isn’t particularly fond of, especially if it’s not as loose as I thought it was. Bandit learned to put up with being brushed, but not Katie Mae. Maybe if I had more hands so I could hold her collar, feed her treats, and brush all at once
  4. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    My Moose-dog used to leave the house as soon as he felt the brush. That was it, he was out of there. Unfortunately, he had the shepherd undercoat.

In contrast, Bat-dog loved to be brushed. She loved the back scratcher too. She never shed. Aunt C actually convinced Bat-dog to forgive her Bat-dog's years' long grudge by using the back scratcher on her.
  5. Helidale

Helidale Member

Name:
    Carole
    I have never had a dog that didn't like to be groomed. Maybe became impatient if it went on too long, but generally they have been good. At times I have groomed to boost my income so I couldn't really let them make the decision!
    Nothing like Akita or Malamute coats, but Eddie used to get a thick soft coat at some times of the year. I used to use one of these rakes on him to get his undercoat out. it looks a bit fearsome, but the hooks are blunt and he used to like the feeling. This one is one of the finest grades, wider toothed ones are available for heavier coats.
    For outdoor bathing and grooming, I find a tethering ring fixed to the wall is useful to stop fidgiting and wandering.

IMG_20220213_163611.jpg
  6. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    I do have a brush like that in my arsenal.
  7. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Moose-dog was very sensitive - to touch and emotions. I've had dogs who didn't enjoy it that much, but he really hated it. Cat-dog isn't fond of it, but she is fine with brushing/combing her torso and neck. I can usually get one hindquarter done before she wants to stop. I just go back later and do the other side.

In contrast, as soon as I made one light run over Moose-dog (not even actually brushing), he was gone. And it wasn't due to a bad experience as I had him since he was 8 weeks old. If I used a leash, I could do it, but it stressed him out a lot. And he never fought or tried to bite, etc. He was a true avoidant - run away from scary things whenever possible; suffer quietly when it wasn't.
  8. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    We have massive flooding in the south of the state here in Queensland . Been going for days , still going . Huge damages .
    No supply trucks getting up and down to fill the shelves .
    The train lines washed away , no freight can get by train .

trucks could not even drive around it to the west like they usually would .
    7 people dead plus more missing .

for us in the north we dont have the flood , only have to be stocked up or else we may not find what we need .

I have squirreled enough away .
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Was reading yesterday of folks stranded with their dogs at Lismore - in water up to their waist. I hope they found someone with a boat to help them. I read that the River Mary was up 23 metres.
    Fijian workers have helped with the evacuation of a retirement home. Photos of these big lads carrying disabled seniors to the boats. The internet has made us all virtual neighbours!
    I hope your squirreled stocks stay dry, it stops raining soon, and everyone stays safe. Then the clean up - ugh!
  10. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    Thanks ,

good use for them strong fijian lads !

Lismore got absolutely smashed , water up to and above roofs ,
    people in boats helping rescue people and animals .
    The water is so high they drive boats down the streets and have to lift the overhead powerlines with the boat oars to get through .

I saw people carrying dogs too , I think the big dogs letting the Emergency services men carry them , knew it was for the best .

Brisbane river is wild, we saw footage of boats getting washed away and sunk en mass, big pontoons broken their moorings , houseboats smashed and sunk against a wharf.

There is a giant floating crane that was floating down towards the city of brisbanes story bridge , on a collision course, with the police helicopter evacuating people via sirens and loudspeaker , buildings, bridges evacuated from the oncoming wrath .

some places 1.6 m rain ! It aint done yet , tide be up again.

wild stuff !
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka likes this.
    It is hardly believable. There seems to be so much sadness everywhere. Tsunami, war, flooding, volcanoes. We sure must have angered this beautiful planet. The only remedy seems to be to print more and more money. I fear for the next generation who will inherit an economy built on sand.
  12. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    Earthquake in indonesia today on the news too ,

Think its from seeing the specter of everything thats happening in the world my beard has turned white !!
    (And also getting wise because of it :) )
  13. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    I had stopped using a mask sometime in March when the covid numbers had dropped a lot, but a few weeks ago I started to wear one again. I know quite a few people who’ve gotten covid recently. Most people are using at home tests now. I read the other day that we likely have 8 times the case rates that are being reported, because most people don’t report they have covid if they tested at home. I was enjoying the freedom for a bit, but I don’t find it a big deal to wear a mask.

I can get a second booster if I want. When I was first eligible for it the case rates were way down, so I decided to wait. Perhaps it’s time to get a booster now.
  14. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    I don't go out much these days. All my shopping (except Costco once a month) is done online with delivery service. I wear a mask whenever it is recommended or required. If I'm making a quick stop, I may not bother.

The USPS is offering an additional 8 free home testing kits (they offered 4 a while back). I have mine ordered. I still have the 4 original.

I can get the second booster, but at this point I am low risk, so I am waiting. I'd rather have those at high risk get that second booster first. I will get it by the end of the summer (before the winter flu season).

The vaccine does not prevent you from getting sick, but it lessens the severity. Wearing a mask, social distancing, and washing hands is the best way to prevent getting Covid.
  15. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    There is no shortage of vaccines, so if you want a booster, get one. If you have a history of asthma I believe you are at higher risk
  16. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Chas has had the second booster but I was 2 days short of the 6 months interval from my last dose. I will be among the next group. We decided that it was not a good idea for Chas to go into shops, so I do the shopping - usually masked except for the times when I forget! I only test if I am going to meet with a group of people - for their protection.
  17. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC likes this.
    We still shop online for Tesco dly Carole and although we go to a cafe every day, I disinfect the table and chairs and OH (who does the ordering) wears a mask when going in. Hands sanitised to death too.

Although it sounds overkill, we both have COPD and OH is diabetic too so I figure any protection is better than none
  18. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    I honestly do not know what the current situation here is - I stopped checking the daily numbers months ago. Regarding masks, some people are still wearing them, some not, but I have no idea whether they are still required. I still do not go outside any further than taking my rubbish to my wheelie bin, and still get lectures from Amit to be careful and not let anyone near.

Liat, his wife, had the virus a few months ago, and a couple of weeks ago his daughter also had it.

And now "they" are talking about vaccinating people against this monkeypox. As they will apparently be using the smallpox vaccine, I can only assume that those of us who were old enough to be vaccinated against smallpox as babies, will not have need to be vaccinated.
  19. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    That will be good if we can escape that one. They say it isn't serious but it looks horrible!
  20. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Do you know, I haven't a clue whether or not I was vaccinated for smallpox and, as there's no one to ask, I'm guessing if it ever comes in I'll have to have it

36,946 new covid cases in the last week and 355 deaths (I've just looked it up and those were the figures at 25th May for here in the UK)

We have got complacent, but this horrible virus is still with us and will no doubt be horrific again in winter :(
  21. Helidale

Helidale Member

Name:
    Carole
    The smallpox vaccine would have left a white mark on your upper arm. It is roundish, and about half an inch in diameter.