How often puppies pee? Questions

Discussion in 'French Bulldog' started by Felicia Eason, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Felicia Eason

Felicia Eason New Member

Name:
    Felicia

How often puppies pee?

How often is normal for a puppy to pee? We recently got an 8wk old frenchie and when playing she will pee every 10-15mins. She holds her pee from 10pm-6pm and when we hold her or go on car rides she holds it. I only give her water 6am, 12pm, and 6pm during meal times. Other then that I give her a little bit of water when we come back in from outside. It doesn't seem like she is drinking too much and she has a good amount of pee each time. Our last puppy was 13wks when we got him and I took him out every 30mins to a hour. Is this normal for her age?

We have puppy pad by back door and take her out frequently. Sometimes she uses puppy pad. I understand her bladder is very small. Looking for advice to help get through this milestone.
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Fresh water should be available all the time, not only at meal times. Also, if she is only 8 weeks old she should be having at least four small meals a day, not just three.
  4. Felicia Eason

Felicia Eason New Member

Name:
    Felicia
    I kept her on her schedule her breeder had her on and vet said that was fine. If I leave water out she likes to grab the bowl with her teeth and empty it onto the floor. We go outside every 30mins and when she comes back in I allow her to drink water. I see no signs of dehydration.
  5. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    I also agree that water should always be available.

Young puppies do tend to pee a lot so I wouldn't worry unduly
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    There are plenty of non-tip water bowls that your puppy would be unable to get hold of with her teeth let alone tip it over. And just "allowing" her to drink water when you decide, ie when you bring her back in after being outside, is not enough. She should be able to drink as and when she wants. Not just when you allow her to.

If a dog - or any animal, including humans, do not drink enough their urine becomes concentrated, and concentrated urine can cause bladder irritation making the dog/animal/human want to pass urine more frequently. In a little bitch puppy that can very easily lead to an UTI.
  7. Felicia Eason

Felicia Eason New Member

Name:
    Felicia
    A lot different advice then what vet gave me. I've been giving her 1/2 a cup every 2hrs as breeder was doing and vet said that was fine.
  8. Felicia Eason

Felicia Eason New Member

Name:
    Felicia
    Breeder also told me to keep an eye on her poop. If it seems hard then she needs more water. If here poop is turds but soft she is good. If it looks like ice cream then too much water. Her poop is normal as both breeder and vet told me to look for.
  9. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    CaroleC and Malka like this.
    I would find a new vet and IMO it’s very irresponsible of any breeder to tell you a water schedule for a puppy. A dog should have fresh water ALL THE TIME!!!!
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Too much water does not cause loose stools, because excess water is excreted through the kidneys, into the bladder, and then through urine. Stools are the waste products of food. Not water
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    @Felicia Eason - one question if I may. First you bought a male French Bulldog puppy and now you have bought a female French Bulldog puppy. You say in your Profile that you plan to breed your dog - that was when you bought the male puppy. Is future breeding the reason you have now bought this little female puppy?

And did the Demodectic Mange the first puppy had clear up?
  12. Roman2391

Roman2391 New Member

Name:
    Antonio
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    Sounds like the breeder doesn't know much about his/her line of work. In the best interest of the dog I would urge you to leave water out. Some older dogs tend to over drink and drink too fast causing themselves to vomit it back out immediately. In this case I understand controlled water.

As to your questions, puppies will pee and poop when they feel the urge. If you notice that she pees more often at play time then take her out ever 10 mins or just ensure play time is always outside. You'll never overcome the milestone if play and pee continue to go hand in hand.

Also the part about the stools is absolute rubbish. Water will hydrate your dog... If they have loose stools they're at risk of dehydration just like any other animal. Their poop will be based off of their diet and health not their water intake.
  13. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    There are people who withhold water at night some even regulate how much they give throughout the day. There are lots of articles on the net who promote doing so.
    https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/health/puppy-drinking-enough-water

I have never withheld water from a puppy nor an adult dog, If one is withholding water because they don't want a peeing puppy during the day/night, well that's being lazy in my opinion.

Having said that, with very young puppies at bedtime I had them in a box beside my bed, so really they didn’t have access to water, they usually only woke up once during the night to go outside (usually around 2/ 3am) .

When it was bedtime none of my adults got up in the night for a drink though water was always available.
  14. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka likes this.
    I would never regulate a puppy's access to drinking water - maybe remove at night to stop them digging their bedding into it - but always free access during the daytime, especially if the puppy is being reared on kibble!
    There is nothing wrong with feeding a good quality kibble, but I have noticed that it does make for thirsty puppies who drink and pee more than those who were reared using traditional methods. Sometimes they do need a gentle, 'That's enough for now', if they are gorging at their water dish, but it should be left down for them to return to.
  15. Jeff Crook

Jeff Crook New Member

Name:
    Jeff
    She’s very beautiful. I’m in the camp where she should be able to freely drink water as she pleases.
  16. Felicia Eason

Felicia Eason New Member

Name:
    Felicia
    No not reason I got our female. I got her as a playmate and plan to breed my male with a friends female. Vet told me i had nothing to worry about as far as his Demodectix mange which was very acute. I saw a small amount of fur missing with skin showing and they did a scrap culture. They told me to watch the areas without medication and it went away. He is on Bravecto and I've read that helps with skin parasites. So maybe that's what cleared it up.

I don't understand all the negatively with my question. Just looking for advice on house training. Not to be drilled like I'm an unfit person to have a pet.
  17. Felicia Eason

Felicia Eason New Member

Name:
    Felicia
    She sleeps in a crate right next to me at night and we go to bed at 10pm. She wakes me up at 6am around about. No mess ups in the crate and pees as soon as she goes outside. (My yard is fenced and vet said was ok to let her outside.) I don't let her have water after 8pm at night which by vet told me is what they recommended. I do have a 2gal water dispenser that stays out at all times. But rarely see her go to it. I just feel better giving her water in a seperate bowl so I know for sure how much she is actually drinking. I don't restrict water and it offered many times. I do not mind cleaning up after her and expect it at her age. If I did mind a puppy would not have been what we got. I enjoy having a puppy and watch their milestones. However this has been the youngest puppy I have had. So asking for advice on house training from those who have started at this age. My male was 13wks when we got him. Little older and bigger.
  18. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    You asked for advice but you also stated that you limited her water and you got people's opinions regarding that. Nobody said that you were an unfit person to have a pet, just that people disagreed with limited her water.

Out of curiosity, the bitch you plan on breeding Tucker with, is she also blue? You will, of course, have to keep your new little girl away from him when she comes into season, although that will not be for a while yet.
  19. Felicia Eason

Felicia Eason New Member

Name:
    Felicia
    I plan to get her fixed at 6ms. They female frenchie he will be breeding with is brindle.
  20. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Is it only when she is playing or all the time?
  21. Felicia Eason

Felicia Eason New Member

Name:
    Felicia
    Just when playing and she can free roam the house with supervision.