Hungarian Pumi? Info wanted General Chat

Discussion in 'Hungarian Puli' started by Wyrd, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Nippy

Nippy New Member

Name:
    Jenny
    ????

I googled and found pictures for both. I just wondered how we jumped from Puli to Pumi and wondered if there was a link.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    According to Wikipedia, the Pumi is a medium-small terrier-type breed of sheepdog from Hungary, originally used as a herding dog, and the Puli is a medium-small breed of Hungarian herding and livestock guarding dog.

So I guess that the link must be that they are both medium-small size, and the herding connection.

As for jumping from Puli to Pumi, when the letter "m" does come immediately after the letter "l" in the alphabet...

[Shall I get my coat.....?]
  4. chlosmum

chlosmum New Member

Name:
    Barbara
    The Puli, Pumi and Mudi are all close relatives.

A Pumi and a Puli have a similar body the main difference difference between them is the coat. A Pumi's coat is shorter and curly rather like a Poodles. A Puli's coat is long and characterised by hanging in very distintive "dreadlocks".

A Mudi which is a rare breed even here in Hungary doesn't look like either a Pumi or a Puli .... I'd say more like a border Collie with a similar shaped muzzle and body. Coat about 2 inches long and wavy.

An interest fact is that the three breeds are so closely related, when a Puli or Mudi has a litter, occasionally one puppy will be a Pumi!
  5. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum

Name:
    Sue
    I remember watching a TV programme a couple of years ago about dog behaviour. Some of it was filmed at a University in Hungary, and among one of the dogs (out of about ten or so) they used in a behavioural study was a Mudi.