HWV and GWP- comparisons General Chat

Discussion in 'German Wirehaired Pointer' started by peedie, Jun 24, 2011.

1. peedie

peedie New Member

Name:
    Kirsten

HWV and GWP- comparisons

I have a HWV who is a complete doll, she has her moments and her funny ways but generally is pretty good.
    What are GWP's like compared to HWV's? From what I have read, they will range further, be less sensitive and likely will be more pig headed/stubborn than the HWV's, is that right? Does anyone have experience of both breeds? What are the differences, good and bad?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. one.eyed.dog

one.eyed.dog New Member

Name:
    Ellie
    I have a GWP. She is pig headed and stubborn. Boggs off when she gets a scent and is generally a little git.

Then again she is the most obedient thing going, can contol her direction with the whistle and hand signals from a distance. We win obedience at shows and her recall is spot on.

Just depends what mood she is in. I love her to bits. I have been told the vizla's are easier in general but, my little madame has not put me off the breed. (yet)

She is a rescue who was given up as her prey drive is through the roof but, hey ho. Rabbit in red wine and garlic tastes great.

I am the sort who likes a challenge so, if you get a GWP that is what you will get.
  4. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    I have 2 gwps, but no experience of hwv. My two are fairly sensitive but they are father and daughter. Both fantastic workers on the grouse, couldn't ask for better. I found them relatively easy to train but Harvey was a bit of a nightmare through adolescence and nearly put me off the breed. His daughter, Teal, was a breeze though but that could have been down to me knowing more about owning the breed.

Great dogs and wouldn't be without one.

Helen
  5. peedie

peedie New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
    Thank you both :) Helen, can I ask what it was that made Harvey a nightmare teenager? What types of behaviour? How are GWP's with other dogs and people on the whole?
  6. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Ripsnorterthe2nd New Member

Name:
    Emma
    I know someone who has a GWP and has now moved on to HWVs, from what she tells me GWPs are a serious handful. She's been training her GWP for a few years now and the dog still takes it upon herself to do her own thing and bog off at a moments notice. Reminded me of trying to train a Springer! :lol:
  7. one.eyed.dog

one.eyed.dog New Member

Name:
    Ellie
    Gundog training told me to get a WHV next time as they are a lot easier.
  8. peedie

peedie New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
    Think I may stick to the HWV's then. Honestly, my lab is as stubborn as they come, he will take off if he gets a sniff of something etc etc and I'm not really up for more of that! Sika has her own mind too but is much more easily persuaded ha ha :) Thanks for your replies :)
  9. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    From what i've seen during training classes, HWV's tend to be a little more giddy and silly and GWP's more serious about what they are doing.

Most HPR's are sensitive but I would say the vizslas of both coat types are more sensitive than GWP's. I find my GWPx to be very easy to control. Dont get me wrong, he can throw a deaf 'un and ignore my commands if he thinks he knows better (and more often than not he does) but do you want a dog that does as it's instructed regardless or do you want a dog capable of going against you if it knows what you're telling it is wrong? From a hunting point of view his instinct for this isnt as strong as it could be, perhaps because he's never been worked so isnt as switched on and this makes him easier to handle. He's far more concerned with my whereabouts than he is going off and following a scent. My BC is the nightmare when it comes to sodding off hunting!

From my experience and being around GWP's i'd say that males in particular can be a bit bolshy with other dogs. When I train with other GWP's there is always a bit of posturing and winding up going off which you dont tend to get with the other breeds.
  10. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    He got quite wary and would bark and lunge at them. It lasted for about a year, and one day, I just got sick of it and lost it with him (I'm not proud) but after that, he seemed to get better. I think he just respected me more.

I used to show Teal a lot and she was absolutely great around people and other dogs. She is a bit of a wuss really, although she tries to pretend she isn't lol.

I can't say that I have had any problems with the training and both of them have been 10 times better than my oh's pointers when working. They never liked to be out of sight of me so never ******ed off to find grouse on their own. I think there are lines which are quite hard and probably not in the right home. Mine have always worked, which I think is ideal for them but having said that, there are a LOT doing well in pet homes.

Helen
  11. peedie

peedie New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
    Thank you both :) It won't be for a long time yet that we are really looking for another dog but we both love HWV's, I love GWP's and so does my OH, he would absolutely have a GWP next but as it'll be me who does most of the training, walking etc I really need to be taking on a dog who I can give what it needs. I know I can give a HWV what it would need but not so sure about the GWP's.