I want to know everything about your pugs! because... General Chat

Discussion in 'Pug' started by jaymacv, Mar 13, 2011.

1. jaymacv

jaymacv New Member

Name:
    Jay

I want to know everything about your pugs! because...

...I'm thinking of getting one and I do really want to be prepared! If you've looked around the Showing section you'll notice a thread by me asking about pug shows in my area. I want to visit all the pug shows! :grin:
    So, anyway, back to pugs. :lol: I want to know EVERYTHING about them. :p Stuff like, their names, age, colour, etc, pictures too! But other stuff too like what they like to do, their character, how long did they take to housebreak, what sort of harness do they wear.... :? I've possibly read every website about pugs that exists, but its always good to get real people talking about them!
    ;-) I have really went into pug hyperactivity after meeting such a cute one outside Tesco the other day.
    Don't hesitate to write about your pug, any rubbish will do (...she likes to eat bananas...)

Jay.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Annaw

Annaw New Member

Name:
    Anna
    I think this may be a little late now because you already have yours :)
    But I wish I had been more prepared about what can happen because of their eyes.
    My poor guy had an accident when he was about 3 months old .
    My other dog nipped him on the back of his head and he must have done it with some force. Because my little guys eye popped out :shock: .
    He was rushed to the vet and had to have an op to pop it back in and then he had to wear one of those plastic collars for two weeks :-(
    He is okay now but that eye is more boggley than the other one and he gets ulcers on it.
    His nickname is boggle now lol!!
    Just a warning!!! cause I wish someone had warned me.

Anna
  4. gothpugs

gothpugs New Member

Name:
    Hel
    Pugs are prone to eye damage, because they don't have a muzzle as such, they can damage their eyes really easily when playing or even just walking into grass/trees so always watch them.

Pugs need to be walked on harnesses, NOT collars, as with most brachy breeds they are prone to tracheal collapse and difficulty breathing due to soft pallete problems, so collars are ok for tags, but never walk your pug on one, unless it is a well trained show dog in the ring.

Heat KILLS pugs, never take your pug out on hot days and when you do go out always have water available.

Remember to clean the nose ridge, I use a sensitive baby wipe, dirt and grime builds up and you must clean it and the ears daily to avoid infection.

If your pug gets "Fishy Butt" it needs its anal glands expressing

Pugs can be a little dim when it comes to training, especially toiletting, so have patience.

Pugs are prone to separation anxiety, so crate training is useful, get your dog being used to being left alone, so that it isn't a shock when you leave.

Hope that helps
  5. jaymacv

jaymacv New Member

Name:
    Jay
    Thanks everyone :grin:
    Ive already got my wee babe, she is lovely (but slightly evil LOL). She sometimes attaches herself to my leg :p
    I know all about the eye popping thing, I'm terrified about it! :blush: I always walk her on her harness ;-)
    shes starting to get the idea of toilet training now.