I'd like to know more about whippets! General Chat

Discussion in 'Whippet' started by Florence, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Florence

Florence New Member

Name:
    Florence

I'd like to know more about whippets!

So, since Ella is making great progress and shows that she's starting to enjoy doggie company a lot, I've been thinking about getting her a companion.
    Now, this is a long way from now. We'll have to move into a bigger flat first, with a garden, and I want to be fully worked into my new job first as well etc.

But I've been thinking about what kind of dog would suit us and Ella the most. I know I want a rescue/rehomed dog and I know I want an adult dog as I wouldn't have time for a puppy. So obviously, when the time comes we'll be looking at rescue centres and will have to look out for a dog that gets along with Ella.
    But I'd like to know more about your experiences with whippets!
    So far, Ella has been getting along better with small sighthounds like whippets, they seem non threatening to her. It would also have to be a dog that's not too play focused and doesn't get too hyped up, as Ella is like that and with a second dog of the same energy level things could heat up easily.
    So, what are your experiences with whippets? I'm obviously researching the breed as well but breed descriptions online can be very varied and biased..
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Don't forget to look at the Whippet profile on Breedia too: Whippet Info :mrgreen:
  4. Florence

Florence New Member

Name:
    Florence
    Thanks Azz, I was just looking for that link :)
  5. Caramel

Caramel New Member

Name:
    Reena
    Hi Florence,

I'm lucky to be owned by the cutes Whippet ever <3

I am delighted to have Mr. Weasley and love him to bits. He is very gentle, tender, loving, not aggressive or malicious at all. In the house you will barely notice he is there (unless you happen to sit or lie down on top of him because he is hiding underneath your duvet :D ) - apart from the moments where he is really energetic and wants to play or do some obedience stuff. Outdoors he's happy to run and chase some toys, have a good sprint with other dogs and then go back home - European / western sighthounds are sprinters, no marathon runners, they don't need a huge amount of physical excercise.

Wherever I go he attracts attention, people always treat him gently and he doesn't take up much space either.

Be however aware that if you take your Whippet everywhere (like I do), you have to carry a cushion with you - he won't just lie down on any old stone/wooden/tiled floor. But he will be happy to either sit on your lap or in his portable bed :)

Whippets do shed a bit, but since they don't have an undercoat it is not much. Also grooming is basically not necessary (unless you have such an individual like me - he pees onto his front legs and chest and hence I need to wash him regularly).

What Weasley loves best is to be hugged and cuddled and sit on my lap and give kisses.

If you want to take a look at my blog (text in German however)
    The Blog

The picture gallery:
    Click

And a photo-thread here on dogsey:
    Click for Whippet-delight

We are also on Face-Book, you can find his site under "Mr. Weasley Whippet" - just like us and get all the daily updates including nonsense and more nonsense ;)
  6. Florence

Florence New Member

Name:
    Florence
    Thanks Caramel!
    I've already got a little madam of a dog who needs to sit on warm soft things when we're out ;)
    Sounds like a whippet would fit in with us, I'm more and more convinced. How is your Mr Weasley off lead chasing things? Cos I always hear you can never let them off lead as they'll be off chasing rabbits etc, is good recall possible?

Thanks, I'll have a look at your blog, good thing I speak german ;)
  7. Caramel

Caramel New Member

Name:
    Reena
    When it comes to chasing and hunting I think it's hard to make a general statement.

Mr. Weasley's recall is really really good, but we have been working at that from day 1 he came to stay with us.
    He is always off lead when I take him for walks and he so far has never ever (toch wood) run away.
    If he sees a pigeon he will bounce towards it but that's it. So far I have been able to recall him from playing with other dogs, rolling in poo and whatnot. But I am aware of him probably not being a role model for others.

In my opinion it also depends a lot on the lines. Mine is bred from show lines and his ancestors have little to no interest in hunting, I could however imagine if you get a Whippet from working lines or maybe running lines that might be quite different :)
  8. Florence

Florence New Member

Name:
    Florence
    Ok that's good to know. Well.. as I will be looking at rescue dogs I probably won't know or have the choice of show or working lines.. We'll see what happens when the time comes :)
  9. Fernsmum

Fernsmum New Member

Name:
    Ali
    I have had whippets for over 20 years and when they are young the certainly do get " hyped up " . They also like to play a lot inside and out of the house .
    I currently have 3 , one show bred and 2 working bred . The most hunting orientated of these is the show bred whippet . However they are all very different so it would be impossible to say that one type over another would be less hunting orientated . 2 of mine do wear muzzles as I don't like them killing rabbits etc . Their recall is excellent and I have never had any problem getting them to come back .
    They do tend to be quite naughty puppies but by the time they are 18 months - 2 years they have usually settled down into the calm lovely dogs most people think they are .:)
  10. Caramel

Caramel New Member

Name:
    Reena
    :lol:

That's cool! I would not have guessed it that way round.
  11. Noushka05

Noushka05 New Member

Name:
    Jo
    My Father-in-law use to have racing whippets, he use to race them every weekend up at various venues. They were beautiful dogs, sweet natured & very chilled in the home, walked beautifully on lead. I really love whippets.:grin:
  12. Florence

Florence New Member

Name:
    Florence
    Thanks for all your inputs! :D
  13. Darcy Boy

Darcy Boy New Member

Name:
    Yvonne
    My whippet is from show lines. I have a good recall BUT it goes to pot if he sees a rabbit, although he will still come back after a shortish chase. As yet he has not killed if he did I think it could be a different story.

He was my nightmare puppy but by 2yrs he had settled down & is now a gorgeous boy.(Thank goodness.)