Ideal Chinese Crested weight? Health

Discussion in 'Chinese Crested' started by pjz, Mar 25, 2014.

?

How much weight is too much?

Poll closed Apr 1, 2014.
  1. 16 lbs max

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. if she is healthy no worries

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. pjz

pjz New Member

Name:
    pjz
    Azz likes this.

Ideal Chinese Crested weight?

I have a 2 1/2 year old Chinese crested powder puff. She is a rescue dog an we are her third owners. She joined us at 10 mos. of age. She stands about 13 to the shoulder and weighs 19.5 lbs. She is very active, we walk 2 1/2 to 3 miles daily and 5 times a week she goes on a 2 mile jog with me. She is very broad chested but does not have much body fat. She is a very solid dog. My concern is am I exercising her too much and should her weight be a concern. She appears healthy and happy in all respects.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    with that level of exercise i would find it hard to believe shes overweight unless your feeding her the amount of food a dog twice her size would need. with dogs i tend to believe with my eyes not my scales. if she looks fat then shes properly fat. the general rule should be that you can find ribs easy or even last couple be slightly visible and they should have a waist. dont listen to guilds as it says a female bullmastiff should be 45-50 kg but my phoebe is 52.5 and thats because shes randomly lost weight so looks all bony
  4. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    hello by the way, just seen that your new
  5. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    6JRT's likes this.
    dog_weight_chart.jpg Dog-Weight-Chart_1.jpg
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
  7. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou Member

Name:
    Louise
    Do you have any pictures of her that we could see? Could just be she's larger then average for her breed and the extra weight is muscle.

Welcome to Breedia BTW :)
  8. pjz

pjz New Member

Name:
    pjz
    thanks, she has good body contour and ribs are easy to find, she has a waist so I suppose I'm worrying about nothing. Her broad chest may be from muscle as a result of the level of exercise. From what I've read the Chinese crested doesn't require a lot of level of exercise but she loves to go run with me and after a jog she's ready to fetch the ball. Thanks for your input
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2014
  9. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    It's difficult to say without seeing her PJZ... do you have any photos of her?
  10. pjz

pjz New Member

Name:
    pjz
    great chart. thanks Looks a bit overweight when using the chart.

Attached Files:

11. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou Member

Name:
    Louise
    CaroleC likes this.
    Going by that second picture which shows off her body better, I'd say she's a little overweight too. Nothing major, and being oversized for her breed, she will be bigger and heavier, but I'd want to see a more defined tuck myself.
  12. pjz

pjz New Member

Name:
    pjz
    I have to agree with you. Will work on getting it down.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2014
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I am sure you will be able to do it just by slowly cutting her food down.

My dog gained 3.8kg in less than six months when first put on medication, and although it took 18 months I got her back to the 17kg she had been before starting medication. But I did it very slowly so she did not realise that she was having less food and less food - bought a pair of electronic kitchen scales [the first scales I had ever owned!] and weighed everything.

Her weight now tends to fluctuate from just under 17kg to just over, but I did get that weight off her and so far I am managing to keep it off. But as I say, I did it very slowly, and your girl only has a couple of pounds to lose whereas Pereg was way overweight.

Good luck!
  14. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    I agree that she's a tiny bit overweight, and I'd look at diet first if you think she is already getting enough exercise.
  15. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    Maybe it's me but that doesn't sound like much exercise to me at all. 3 miles a day isn't that far is it? What's that about an hour? is that just walking? Anyway it makes no odds if she's a bit chunky you either cut down on the food or up the exercise or both.
  16. pjz

pjz New Member

Name:
    pjz
    3 miles is about 5k. We do that in half an hour. Not extreme but enough to keep her in good condition. I've started cutting back on the calories. Thx
  17. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    I was thinking aloud really as my Pugs probably do 3 times that every day, they have little choice as the big uns need the exercise, although they can just sit and watch when we're chucking the ball, they generally carry on pottering about.
  18. pjz

pjz New Member

Name:
    pjz
    We'll be working to get to about 15 lbs. I think that will be a good weight for her. Thanks to all for your feedback and comments.
  19. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    If you take it slowly, reducing the amount of her food, she should not notice that she is getting less.

Good luck!
  20. pjz

pjz New Member

Name:
    pjz
    Thanks for the good advice
  21. Dildonia

Dildonia New Member

Name:
    Cheryl
    My 5yr boy weighs 9.5lbs. He is a Powder Puff.