If NI are so unhealthy................... Discussions

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by liz & kiesha, Feb 12, 2009.

1. gemma riley

gemma riley New Member

Name:
    Ragapawz
    My definition of a breed is when it is 'fit for purpose'

Sibes were bred to pull this is what was needed/desired so a standard was made for the perfect husky, they became fit for their purpose. That standard was what made a perfect working husky and a breed was born.

The NI/BI/Ute/Tamazkan etc etc have no purpose.....

AND before anyone starts I am not having a go about ppl's dogs/pets
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

It seems to me that many dogs no longer fulfill the 'purpose' they were originally bred for - there aren't many people in this country that need a working dog as you describe. I am certain some are no longer capable of doing so. Most are 'just' pets these days. Perhaps this should be debated.

Now I see nothing wrong with that as long as thier needs are met, but if the NI/Ute etc. are 'just' pets, I also see nothing wrong with that!
  4. gemma riley

gemma riley New Member

Name:
    Ragapawz
    Hi lucky star

you are right many dogs no longer fulfill a purpose but you are missing my point. When breeds were created they did have a purpose, the only reason that new breeds were created was for them to do something. It is probably why we do not have many new breeds anymore as we have more than enough to choose from for any eventuality.
    Even when Mr Saarloos started out he had a purpose....which I believe the dogs failed in and the breeding was stopped.
    What was this purpose in the NI?
  5. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

Hi Gemma:grin:

Actually I think you are missing my point. How sad that breeds were created to run, hunt, pull, etc. but no longer do so. Is that fair on them? Their purpose for being is denied them. I wonder what will become of them, given Darwin's theory of evolution?
  6. Lunakitty321

Lunakitty321 New Member

Name:
    Danielle
    having a northern looking breed as "just a pet"...isn't that purpose enough for today’s needs of a dog? Because most of us are not going to be deer hunting or needing to travel via sled anymore...those activities are just hobbies these days, it is not a way of life or needed for survival for most parts of the world.
  7. gemma riley

gemma riley New Member

Name:
    Ragapawz
    ah you see Lucky Star

Thats where breed standards and the KC come into the equation ;-)
    Making sure nothing happens to these breeds and people are good custodians of them allowing future people to have one.

Its not the dalmations fault that the car was invented :lol:
  8. gemma riley

gemma riley New Member

Name:
    Ragapawz
    This is a whole new debate..perhaps start a new thread to discuss?

BUT

Im sure my huskies would not agree that running is just a hobby!
  9. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

Err but that hasn't worked, has it? Look at the problems with the GSD. 'Things' most certainly have happened to breeds and I am amazed that anyone can state that 'people are good custodians of them ... " -

I would state the opposite. It is people that have destroyed them.
  10. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

Indeed it isn't, but if the argument is that certain dogs have been bred for a purpose ... then what do you think should happen to the Dalmation that no longer has a purpose? Oh dear. Should they no longer be bred - since, according to many of you, dogs should only be bred if they have a purpose?
  11. gemma riley

gemma riley New Member

Name:
    Ragapawz
    I did not imply that people where a good custodian for the breed, just that they should make sure they were.
    There are GOOD breeders out there lucky star they are not all like the NI fraternity!

you seem intent on arguing with me and Im not really sure why?

I said all of my answers to your last question in the above post
  12. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

Not intent on arguing at all - just stating my opinion because I find your statements questionable.

I'm not making a case for the NI fraternity - far from it.
  13. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Off to bed in a mo and don't wish to argue but I will say this :

No1) There are many breeds that historically were bred for a working purpose. However, we all know that there is a great difference in some breeds between show and working lines, to the extent that some of these dogs (even some of the working lines ones) would'nt be at all capable of doing the job they were originally bred for. Do we say there is no place for such dogs, of course we don't.

No2) There are some decent NID breeders. This has been highlighted before, there are good and bad breeders in every breed.
  14. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    and no reply was the loudest answer, only I could have sworn you said you didn't breed on another thread but said you may consider breeding...honest question begging an honest answer thats all, nothing more :)
  15. Efes123

Efes123 New Member

Name:
    Phil

Are you serious? the KC? If there's one single organisation that's done more damage to the health of current breeds it's this one.
  16. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    Thanks Dawn
    http://www.emblehope.co.uk/ the piccies of Tarra here do her a lot more justice, lovely girl...Had to edit this again, great choice of camera I have a canon 400d, love it...
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2009
  17. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    You are confusing me now Elaine and its a Friday!:mrgreen:

Thanks for your comments on Tarra, we are very pleased with her.:grin:

I had a 400D, I had the 350D before that, the 40D I have now is super duper, I love it! I Dont let Steve nick it too often though! :002:
  18. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    I don't let Callum loose with my camera either lol, your pictures are stunning, especially love the cats x
  19. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Thanks, they make very good "memory foam" pillows!:mrgreen:
  20. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    My daughter has a British short hair bengal cross, she has a lovely wee face, with that funny expression, I'm always saying to Emma Mias moody lol, Emma is very defensive of her naturally lol
  21. Sansorrella

Sansorrella

Name:
    Sandra
    oh yes, I see my dogs running in that pack - I think it was just before that pic was taken that Ursula's bitch attacked another dog and the owners had a row with her and went home!