IF the NI ever gets KC recognition what group should it be in Discussions

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by Shona, Oct 25, 2008.

1. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
    Never heard of the Eurasier... Dogsey does it again! Lerning something new every day!... What stunning dogs! Looks like a sort of shepherd/samoyed cross or a pretty coloured Samoyed! What stunning looking dogs!....

On topic... er I guess Utility would seem most appropriate, but as more and more dogs are being bred away from their original purpose and crossbreeds are becoming more common, maybe if the KC ever decided to open the floodgates and allow in these breeds and lines maybe new classes would have to be created for them... 'companion class', 'ornamental class', accessory class, 'looky likey class'...
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Lionhound

Lionhound

Name:
    Lorna
    I just meant it was a newer breed:001:

I love them, would really like one but OH wasn't keen. :001:
  4. Valdf

Valdf New Member

Name:
    Val
    Don't want to hijack this thread but I can't do PMs :?

Just to say for you Eurasier fans I've posted some pics of mine in the Dogs Pics section . . . seemed like as good a place as any :)

And yes, I would think that NIs should be in the Utility group too.
  5. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    great stuff... just going to go and oggle the photos now... thanks
  6. sallyinlancs

sallyinlancs New Member

Name:
    n/a
    I hope to goodness NIs do not become KC recognised. If they DID, I expect they would fit best into the utility group.
  7. Lionhound

Lionhound

Name:
    Lorna
    Yes because NIs not being KC registered has really done the dogs proud so far:roll:
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2008
  8. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    can I ask why you dont want the breed kc recognised... ?

surely if producing a new breed its what breeders are stiving for.. consistency of type..?
  9. Wolfie

Wolfie New Member

Name:
    Corrie
    In Nushka's case, at being a dustbin :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

One time I would of said working but I think Utility would be a better group for them
  10. sallyinlancs

sallyinlancs New Member

Name:
    n/a
    I'm just not a great fan of the KC really Shona. I think they have done quite a bit of harm to many breeds and I'd rather have nothing to do with them. Perhaps if they changed things so that the health of dogs became more important than anything else, I'd feel much happier about the whole thing.
  11. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    I don't know a huge amount about NIs, but would agree with those who have said utility - as that covers a broad spectrum, without being a specific working job.
  12. lovezois

lovezois Fondly remembered

Name:
    Eunice
    ........and some NI breeders have not done any harrm to th NI's .... pot calling the kettle black comes to mind here
  13. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    I'm not a fan of the KC either, but then i have said this for a while. Its a bit stuck in its ways and very old boys network which grates a bit.

To me at the current time the KC doesn't really mean anything anymore. I have seen some shocking looking examples of breeds that are KC reg. I grew up with the KC being the epitone (sp?) of the dog world, it should be leading the way and setting an example. But its not which is very disheartening. An anology for me would be like a parent getting drunk and crashing the car LOL :)

And this is not me saying the NIS is better then the KC its just my views on the KC independant of anything else.
  14. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    I think a good amount of the blame must go to the breed clubs, after all they are the ones that set the standard for breeds..
    In the small % of breeds having troubles, its the breed clubs that need to change.
    OK the KC should look at making health testing mandatory, I wont argue on that front, but you have to admit.. oodles of NI dogs are being produced from parents that are not tested.
    thus I dont see how the NI breed being KC reg will make any diff to the health of the breed, it really comes down the the individul breeders does it not?
    On the up side, IF they did become a rec breed, It would mean the breed has hit its goal.
    Hence I often dont understand people stance on the KC which really just seem to have developed since the ped dogs exposed programe,
    this to makes me feel uneasy, its as though many of the NI owners / Breeders had no real insight into Pedigree dogs or the KC to begin with, its not as if it was big news to most of us. We all knew that there were problems in some breeds, we all knew some judges would put up dogs that really shouldnt be put up.
    Please dont take this as an dig... its not ment to be directed at you, but I have noticed so much of this attitude towards the KC since the programe...

Can I ask what breed of dogs you had sally before you got NI dogs? Did you show them? or have any real dealings with the KC?
    Or are your views purely based on the programe?
  15. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    IMO it is a formality as to which group any dog is under. We all know that many if not most dogs do not work, some dogs cannot even do the job that their breed was 'created for' due to how breeds have been changed in order to fit desired appearance rather than workability and also bad breeding. If the KC were to recognise the NID ( in years to come) , I guess they would have an input into which category the dogs would fall under.
  16. Wolfie

Wolfie New Member

Name:
    Corrie
    This is actually a good post Shona as I knew a KC judge (she judged at Crufts too) that used to breed Great Danes and her practices were shocking and this was nearly ten years ago.
  17. arctic.wolf

arctic.wolf

Name:
    Alison
  18. sallyinlancs

sallyinlancs New Member

Name:
    n/a
    I didn't watch the programme about the KC so it isn't that that put me off. I have had a bichon frise and a border collie, neither of which were KC registered. I had never been to any kind of dog show before I went to the NIS show at Skipton this year.

I have always enjoyed watching Crufts on TV but the whole KC thing just always seemed a bit 'cliquey' to me. I'm not sure the judges are as unbiased as they're supposed to be and the competition always seems a bit TOO competitive for my liking - people get bitchy about it.

You are right though Shona. I have never had any real dealings with the KC and cannot claim to have any real insight. I go by intuition more than anything. I suppose I have only ever heard bad things about the KC from people I've spoken to so that will have influenced me somewhat.

Lovezois with regard to the pot calling the kettle black - I think that's a bit harsh. I've never bred a dog in my life!
  19. lovezois

lovezois Fondly remembered

Name:
    Eunice
    Sally you have missed the point it was not harsh . It was not referring to you personally having bred a litter but to some NI breerders who go on breeding knowing there are problems in N|I's and to me this is causing harm hence my saying the pot calling the kettle black when you said you did not want recognition by the KC and were not a fan because of the harm they had done to some breeds.Hope this explains it for you sorry you took it the wrong way.
  20. czechwolf

czechwolf New Member

Name:
    ronnie
    hi can you put picture up of one of these dogs that in anyway resembles a wolf for i have yet to see one and i do know what a wolf looks like,,,regards ronnie
  21. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie

I would too, as it would not fit in any other category!!