Info about NI, Husky type dogs etc please? Questions

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by AllyLambell, May 2, 2010.

1. Luz

Luz New Member

Name:
    Laura
    Oh dear! Can I ask what happened? PM me if you prefer not to say it here?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
    Gorgeous pup.

and yes you're right, you do live and learn, we all do.
  4. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
    Ok, I'm going to try and explain the differences between some of the ones your not to familiar with.

Emphasis on the word try.

Just to say first that, the Akita isn't a northern breed. It is a spitz type like the northern breeds, but it originates from Japan, like the shiba inu.

There is the northern inuit/ni, which I think has been explained a bit already, so I'll go on about the offshoots.

There is the utonagan, which derives from the ni, with some collie added, and maybe something else. Can't remember the exact reasons as to why they split, differences of opinions in certain areas I expect.

The tamaskan, which we're not supposed to talk about. Comes from the utonagan, with additions of, finish racing huskies, and some say czech wolfdogs, and or, high content wolfdogs. Personally, not sure wether I believe it or not.

The aatu tamaskan. A new offshoot from the tamaskan, the rumours about high content wolfdogs, seem to come from these people, they also say that the tamaskan is plagued with health defects, which is why they've split. Though they're using a male who is a monorchid, and a bitch, which is apparently from epaleptic lines. Bunch of hypocrites if you ask me.

The british inuit/british wolfdog. From what I understand, comprises of nis, and nis x czech and saarloos wolfdogs. Improving health being the reason given for the mixes. Not sure about that though.

The timbredog/british timbredog. Reg through tida, again from what I understand, anything that looks remotely *wolf like* or ni like. So could be any kind of mix. Not sure what the aim of these are though.

The anglo wolfdog. Nis crossed with gsd, ni x saarloos, and pos in the future husky/malamute, don't quote me on that. Aim is to improve the health and genetic diversity of the ni.

Huskamute. Simply siberian husky x alaskan malamute.

Czechoslovakian/czech wolfdog/csv. An established breed of dog, created in the 1950s by crossing a carpathian wolf, with a gsd.

Saarloos wolfhond/wolfdog/swh. An established breed of dog, created in the 1920s by crossing a european wolf, with a gsd.

Lupo Italiano. Don't know much about these, accept that you are unlikely to find them outside of Italy, and that they're a cross between an Italian wolf, and a gsd.

I stand to be corrected on any of the above.
  5. Luz

Luz New Member

Name:
    Laura
    It is kind of a shame as we get older you learn so much and when you reach the epitome of knowledge it sometimes is too late.
    I would say to the OP, is do some research, talk to breeders, visit dogs and dont go in without knowledge.
    The NI is lovely but only to those who can give them the time they need. :grin:
  6. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    Lordy...:shock:

To summarize you could just say 'a bunch of crossbreeds'. From what I have heard about people crossing these breeds, I wouldn't touch any of them with a barge pole.
  7. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    We have 2 NIs and they have very similar traits and some that are like chalk and cheese. They are both very playful and dont have an onuce of malice or agression in them at all. They are fine with other dogs small or large, i wouldnt trust them with small or furry but they are both fine with livestock. I think this has been made worse though by the fact they live with an ex working lurcher who gets VERY excited by small furries. Ela is shy of strangers but raina is a super confident little bitch, Ela is very very bright though where Raina is not so much (bless her!) They are both eager to please and i find them easy to train as long as you mix in the boring stuff with some tricks and fun stuff to keep them amused.

Both my girls are happy and healthy as well with cast iron stomachs, though Raina is only 8 months old and has had no health testing done yet.

Here are my girls:

[​IMG]
  8. lotsforus

lotsforus New Member

Name:
    Kathryn
    I have a NI. He is 100% in the house and great to be around. To tell the truth he can be a right nightmare when out and about. He is not a dog I can take anywhere he's my boy and I love him but I won't be getting another.
  9. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    how long ago did you do vet nursing? were NI dogs on the go then? possibly you did come into contact with the breed but under another name, eg, tamaskan, UTE or similar?
  10. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    I currently have three NIDs , two are NIS one is TIDA. I did have a fourth , who was actually my second, but he died at the very young age of of 2, RIP my special boy until we meet again.
  11. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Do you think it is his breeding? What were his parents characters like?
  12. AllyLambell

AllyLambell

Name:
    closed acct by Ally
    Wow thanks for that info - didn't realise there were so many different ones.

I retired about 9 years ago due to my Multiple Sclerosis getting so bad; didn't really have many on our books - a couple of Akitas (taken on board the difference now) and 1 Husky so it is a whole breed type that I don't know and there are so many around I wondered why. Not looking to get one as we have enough with our 2 and as my illness progresses it probably wouldn't be fair to get anymore once these two go, although hopefully we shall have them for at least 10 years yet.
  13. Luz

Luz New Member

Name:
    Laura
    No these two came later than the NI. ;-)
    Made from people who fell out with the NIS. :lol: