Introducing puppy to cat General Chat

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by thegassyprincess, Jan 2, 2019.

1. thegassyprincess

thegassyprincess New Member

Name:
    Andrei

Introducing puppy to cat

Hey guys,

We've recently introduced Zoey, a 3 month old french bulldog to our 14 year old cat Timmy. He's been with us ever since he was a kitten and always been the only one although we've shared household with other dogs for a while. She's extremely excited to get to know him and lick him but given his age, he's apprehensive which is more than understandable. He's always been the most loving and caring cat ever, always playful and curious. We never leave them together unsupervised as we don't want to stress any of them out so we installed a baby gate to see/smell each other when we're away; when we're at home we let them roam freely so they can get acquainted. Our worries are that he might become depressive and feel pushed aside which we really struggle to avoid.

Has anyone been through a similar scenario and what did you do? X
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. RedButton

RedButton New Member

Name:
    Wynne
    First of all, both pets should be examined by a veterinarian. And even after that you'll need to have flea and tick prevention means, collars, shampoos and pill shooters like this. Also, you should provide some space in your house for each pet where they could feel safe and comfortable.
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    What does flea and tick prevention, shampoo and pill shooters got to do with introducing a puppy to a 14 year old cat? As Timmy has been there from being a kitten, I think Andrei will already know what is needed to care for him.

The two pets are going need time to be able to accept each others position in the home. The main problems are usually related to the attractiveness of the cat's litter tray and food dish, and too much boisterous attention from the puppy, which can make the cat either retaliate, or withdraw.
    Fortunately Zoey is a small breed, so it should be fairly easy to create some off the ground places that your cat can escape to when the puppy is being too attentive. You are already doing all that you can by installing the baby gate, and by supervising the time that they spend together. If Timmy will take tit-bits from your hand, you could cuddle an animal each, and share out some very special treats. For now, you are going to have to gently but firmly check Zoey's curiousity - she will become more settled as she matures. I hope all goes well, at least you didn't pick a hunting breed!
  5. Tommy120

Tommy120 New Member

Name:
    Tommy
    I'm just imagining a situation here. It might be a totally different scenario, my 1-year-old cat VS 14-year-old Timmy. Like a kids/teenager vs and old man. I never introduce my cat yet to any puppy and eager to know what are my cat reaction. Thanks for some tips here.