Irish Staffordshire terrier facts vrs myths Discussions

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by keithcampos, Aug 13, 2009.

1. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    Isn`t it time you were off to school?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    I really wish you would use some punctuation, it would make reading your posts a lot easier, and we may then be able to understand what you are saying.

If a dog is over the required hight , and its KC registered, than it is a Staffie... nothing more , nothing less, you dont them call it an Irish Staffie.

the resulting pups of any mating will be a product of the parentage...IF the parentage is not to standard, then the likelihood some of the pups will be not standard is very high.

BUT ,, as long as the dogs concerned are KC registered.. they can register the pups... poor examples or not.

They are NOT then classed as IRISH!!!!!!!!

There is only one standard for the Staffie Bull Terrier... and it fits both show and pet dogs...

There seems to be a point you are missing, the ISBT may have some lines running through them, from KC registered dogs!!!!! but that does not make them pure Staffies.. what it makes them is X Breeds..

For instance, a friend down the road, has a Boxer cross, she has some information on ONE of the parents linage.. she claims her dog is pure bred Boxer, because it has my Dogs g/g/g father on its papers:lol: :lol:

The fact it looks nothing like a Boxer, she is blind , because she wants to believe, she has a Boxer, :roll:

Please, lets not get onto the Hybrid Vigour, (thats a whole other topic) dogs are of the same species!!!!!!!!

Not sure why you thing it only takes 5 generations to class a crossbreed a pedigree:? :?

It is not as simple as that... a PEDIGREE becomes a reconised breed and will be able to register with said Countries KC, WHEN....... the dogs are breeding to "TYPE"

That means ALL pups are the same, look the same resemble each other.

And unless you have a little knowledge understanding that breding is not about sticking two dogs together for 5 generations, and you get a breed, you are doomed to fail.

Look at all the "new" breeds today, who are striving for KC recognition.... its not happening, and the reason is... there is no consistency in the breeding programme, and until you get consistency.. you will never get a reconised breed.
  4. ClaireandDaisy

Name:
    Claire
    I did that (see post above) but it really didn`t help......:lol:
  5. kingbenny

kingbenny New Member

Name:
    Mike
    A good point. Also, if this dog was bred to type, the chances are high it would be caught up in BSL, putting the dogs in danger of being taken away from their owners. The dogs would be being breed to a standard that could be confused with a pit type. Why try and create a breed that will fall into a legal grey area at the current time? Its a recipe for disaster.
  6. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    The police do and have seized KC registered Staffords and deemed them illegal.

I know because as the breed Sec for my area I am the one who has had to help the owner prove the dog is not an illegal type. This is one law were you are considered guilty and the onus is on you to prove other wise.

We had an amnesty in my area following a hight profile death of a child.

Some 300 dogs were put to sleep and many more seized. I went to court to support the owners of those dogs who refused to sign over their dogs to the Police. I also saw the condition of some of those dogs. I only saw one that in my opinion was a type most others were lovely dogs but not really type just looked a bit like one.

There is no recognised breed as and ISBT and those that enforce the law consider the ISBT a pit bull type.

I am also speaking as someone who has owned an 18" KC reg Stafford and as at one time be it a long time ago the breed standard was to 18" it will happen, if it does then that dog will always be at risk of seizsure should it be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Then it will be down to you to prove it is an SBT even if you have papers which the police know can be false.

I have nothing against the ISBT other than its name because in my opinion its name causes confusion in the general public.
  7. kingbenny

kingbenny New Member

Name:
    Mike
    Good post!

Looks like we have finally defined an Irish Staff then. Its a staffy that’s more at risk than most of being seized and destroyed.
  8. Sarah27

Sarah27 New Member

Name:
    Edna
    Is anyone noticing a marked similarity between 'Themonk' and 'Longford's' posts, RE lack of punctuation?

Coincidence?

Or is it time to put the soup on?

Leadstaffs- very good posts.
  9. longford

longford New Member

Name:
    james
    whats up have I got you all twisted ??

thats generally what people do when they dont know what there are talking about is insult people
  10. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie

You will find , peopel here DO know what they are talking about, they dont go round with their heads stuck in the clouds, believing something thats not true.

Maybe the reaction you and your "friend" are recieving, is down to frustration and exasperation from adults trying to converse with a bull in a china shop!!!!!!!!

Mmmmmmmmmmmm, now that you mention it!!!
  11. Petrina

Petrina New Member

Name:
    Peta
    But you don't seem to know what you're talking about, you just keep rambling on and on? :mrgreen:
  12. ClaireandDaisy

Name:
    Claire
    Sorry - I thought you were a younger person. The reason being that many younger teenagers haven`t yet developed social and communication skills and therefore are very rude without meaning to be. I assume from your answer you are an adult and so should know better. Perhaps you could look at the forum rules?
  13. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    That is not actually what I said.
    if you have a tall Stafford you have a chance to prove it is a stafford and therefor not type.

If you have an unregistered dog that looks like a pit bull even if it is a cross of different dogs ie most ISBT then you don't have a leg to stand on.

In this law the onus is on the dog owner to prove innocent.
    Not innocent until proven guilty.

I have seen a lot of ISBT and I would suggest that most are cross breeds of convenience and named as such for selling especially if they are blue coloured.
  14. themonk

themonk New Member

Name:
    deano
    I give you 10 out of 10 for your powers ov observation.
    Do you have any constructive input to this debate or are you only here to lick ass.
  15. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    I see you have not take any notice in reference to your language .

So are you admitting you and longford are the same person???
  16. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    This post has earned you a 3 day ban and an infraction.

Do not make personal attacks against those you disagree with you.

Everyone else, ignore the post and get back on topic. And don't fall into the trap of getting personal either.
  17. longford

longford New Member

Name:
    james
    No we are not the same person
  18. kingbenny

kingbenny New Member

Name:
    Mike
    I was being flippant here I'm afraid, does not translate well onto the written word. :)

I think I'm pretty clued up on BSL in the Uk as I must admit that I do like the look of the type of dog we are discussing here. I fell in love with Pitbulls after a housemate in the states owned a fantastic dog. If not for BSL here in the Uk my first dog of choice would have been a pitbull. Happily I "settled" for a staffy and it was the best choice I could have ever made. I wouldn't consider taking on any dog that looked too close to the type covered by BSL at the minute because I couldn't handle the pain of having to give it up if it got caught up in BSL.
  19. Petrina

Petrina New Member

Name:
    Peta
    And you have to ask yourself, WHY would anyone want to create a nightmare situation buy buying a banned dog? I don't get why people go out and intentionally buy them in the UK, and then they moan!
  20. shortbedder

shortbedder New Member

Name:
    tommy
    I understand that about 40% of all sheltered dogs are staffs. I have to assume they are to KC standard if they are still alive,( correct me if I'm wrong ) that being said.
    I happen to think that the problem must lie in the total disregaurd for loyalty, on the part of the owners not the Dogs. They must think this throw away commodity is of no value, other than fulfilling there selfish desires at any given time. My hope is that the people who purchase any of the
    banned types, provide them a responsible trouble free home for life.
  21. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
    I think that a majority of that is down to not knowing what they might be getting themselves into. People know pitbull types are banned, but how many people actually know what a pitbull looks like, and to be honist, how many people know the dda well enough to know, that it doesn't have to be a pitbull to be illegal, it just has to look like one. Of course, they will be people who get these types knowing, but I honistly think a lot of people don't know or research the law well enough, they just think, well pitbull's are banned, but there boxer x lab isn't a pitbull, so why would the law apply to them. Even though it could well do, depending on its appearance.

Thats what's sad really, when inosent people and their pets, get mixed up in a law that should never have been created, and that doesn't work.