Irish Staffordshire terrier facts vrs myths Discussions

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by keithcampos, Aug 13, 2009.

1. rune

rune

None of the staffs I know have been bred by show people, the majority in my experience are bred by what we would call back yard breeders in order to make money.

The problem of the majority of all breeds in shelters is lack of loyalty on the part of the owners---with obvious exeptions for personal circumstances.

rune
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    :023:

A properly bred one and I would agree
  4. Sarah27

Sarah27 New Member

Name:
    Edna
    Shortbedder - it's the same more or less in the UK. There are hundreds of staffies in rescue centres all over the country.

There are probably many many reasons for this, but like you said the sad fact is a lot of people see a dog as a 'throwaway' commodity.

Lucky for us who rehome these gorgeous dogs though ;-)
  5. kingbenny

kingbenny New Member

Name:
    Mike
    If anyone has a spare hour and wants to look at an interesting film about Staffs, "Irish" Staffs and Pitbulls then have a look here:

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/dogfighting-undercover/

Its pretty grim stuff and not for the squeamish and it's also got a fair bit of media hype in it but its well worth a look if you can handle it.

Mike
  6. shortbedder

shortbedder New Member

Name:
    tommy
    Dogsey has lost a member. Oct 23 2009 Keith Campos was
    murdered in central California USA, stabbed to death by a tennant of his, the tennant then called the police and surrendered. RIP Keith
  7. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
    F***ing hell! nobody deserves to go that way.:shock: :-(

Hope the b*****d, responsible, gets what he deserves.

Rip, Keith.
  8. rune

rune

That is awful.

So sad.

Light to you Keith.

rune
  9. kingbenny

kingbenny New Member

Name:
    Mike
    Very sad. I read about this and it's a tragic way to have your life ended.

RIP keith.
  10. longford

longford New Member

Name:
    james
    RIP keith hope this aint a wind up
  11. shortbedder

shortbedder New Member

Name:
    tommy
    No wind up, sorry to say RIP Keith
  12. kingbenny

kingbenny New Member

Name:
    Mike
    I had a look at this on the internet and its very geniune. My thoughts go out to keith and his family and friends.

I had a look at some of Keiths posts on various pitbull forums after reading about his death and I have to say , the guy was well respected and very well informed about pitbulls. I think its very hard to have a pitbull related discussion on these forums without it getting heated due to various factors but I would like to say that this guy knew his stuff and to lose his life like this is very, very sad.

I'm a huge pitbull fan, but even i sometimes doubt the motives of people who champion the breed, and i'm quite quick to jump on anything I think could be promoting dog fighting. Looking at the forums keith posted on has taught me alot about the breed and the people who own them, and I think i'll try and take some time before I rush to make judgements in regards to people intentions in future.
  13. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
  14. longford

longford New Member

Name:
    james
    Thank you for that joedee.

and rip keith
  15. danny teflon

danny teflon New Member

Name:
    danny teflon
    its not the breed its the owner.
    my grandad had a pit when i was a kid, got it when i was 5 or 6 and it was a top dog. he registerd him in 91 when the dangerous dogs act came in, micro chipped, castrated and muzzled in public, all cos of a bunch of ...........:evil: that would make them fight and then keep them in the back garden even though they couldent controll the monsters they created. toby (the 'savage' pit bull) never groweld in his entire life, i used to ride him round the livingroom till i got too big and he got too old. i cried for a week when he died, i was 14:lol:
    back to the main point on the thread, what do you call people that come from ireland???? irish!
    what do you call a tall, athletic staffie bread as a working/farming dog that comes specifically from ireland???
    an irish staffy!!!
    dublin red strain, or flynn lines were exclusively tall, lean, athletic staffy bread to tall, lean, athletic staffy for working/farming/trials/badgering/rabbiting.
    psyco are thought to have been bread with pit bull for badger baiting and pit fighting. the bbc did a documentary on the subject a few years ago, there were a group called 'the farm boys' who were using the psyco strain for that purpose. on saying that anyone who breeds a staffy could use any of the names above or irish staffy or olde tyme staffy to bump up the price of a pup with no papers so its all a bit hit and miss. it you want a family pet go to a reputable breeder, kc reg on the dam/sire and papers on the pup, it wont guarentee the dog will be a pussycat but it will guarentee it wont have been bread from fighting stock.:mrgreen:
  16. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    On your reasoning my German Shepherd is an English Shepherd. And my German Shorthaired Pointer is an Irish Shorthaired Pointer.
    Er - no. I don`t think so.
    The fact that a dog was bred in a country doesn`t change it`s breed.
    There are Irish breeds - there is actually an Irish Terrier - it looks like this [​IMG]
    A Staffrdshire Bull Terrier is a Staffordshire Bull terrier no matter where it`s bred.
    The term Irish Staff is used for different cross-breeds in different areas. There is usually a Staffie base to them, plus one or more other bull breeds. Like a Labradoodle, these crosses tend to go for silly money to gullible people.
  17. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie

So on that logic, my Boxers should be called, English Boxers because they were bred in England.

A Staffordshire Bull Terrier that is bred, and either lives or comes from Ireland, is a Staffordshire Bull Terrier... it does not have a codicil to its name depending on where it is born:?

Your Irish Staffs, may be Staffie type, but they are not Staffies, and as you and others have said, in you links and info, they came about by introducing other types, be them cross breeds or Pits.

You cant call a Labradoodle a Irish Poodle because it was born in Ireland and has some Poodle blood in it:roll: :roll:
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2009
  18. Sarah27

Sarah27 New Member

Name:
    Edna
    My staffy should be called a Leeds Staffy then and my PRT a Stockton Parson Russell :lol:
  19. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    One of my Staffords is an Essex girl.
    two are Liverpool Lou's
    and one is a Manc

Do you think they are now worth more or less?
  20. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Depends who's doing the buying :lol: :lol:
  21. danny teflon

danny teflon New Member

Name:
    danny teflon
    for a start irish staffordshire bull terrier is not a breed, and i have never said it was. likely due to the popularity of the flynn and drs dogs in the late 90s it has become a type within a breed, its not my fault people started breeding staffys to boxers and pits and whatever else and labeld them as the same
    i dont own an 'irish staffy', i own a kc reg staffordshire bull terrier, a south yorksire staffy if were being exact, and his dam was from middlesex and his sire from dorset.
    to distinguish the breeding people selling the dogs in the 90s stuck irish on the front of it cos they were "exclusively bread in ireland", when they ended up over here i was about 10, so, how am i to blame for that, to me there just staffys (drs, flynn) or staffy crosses, i was just pointing out why they are so called no matter how illogical it is.
    its the same as the blue staffy thing, irish adds a few quid to the price tag, no papers £1000.
    if you want a good example of the staffy breed speek to the breeders with good reputations and see when there next matings are taking place, dont buy an irish off some bloke on the internet or down the local pub.
    and even though its not my reasoning but the public at large, it wouldnt be an english shepherd, it would be an english-german shepherd. also, i thought drs and flynn were kc reg dogs, if they are, jackbox can eat some humble pies, because the originators of those lines of dogs calld them 'the irish staffords', ha! YOU JUST KEEP SETTING THEM UP AND I'LL KEEP KNOCKING THEM DOWN
    (i am now doing a victory dance) joke,

all opinions are valid and i respect what you have got to say and your right to say it, but as long as there are people out there selling staffys and crosses as irish staffys there aint a great deal we can do about it.
    i wouldnt personally let my dog breed with an irish, unless it was a paperd decendan of the drs or flynn strain because of the dangerous dogs act and the fact they can just destroy the dog as it may be seen as pitbull type, but thats not to say any of the dogs couldnt make a great pet, its just bragging rights of 'ive got an irish staffy' dont wash with the people that know and respect the staffordshire breed
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2009