Irish wolfhounds does any own have one? General Chat

Discussion in 'Irish Wolfhound' started by TWOSOCKS, Dec 12, 2010.

1. TWOSOCKS

TWOSOCKS New Member

Name:
    SUSAN

Irish wolfhounds does any own have one?

Hiya, my husband and daughter would love me to get an IWH I have done some research on the breed, but I would love to hear first hand from owners of this majestic breed, it would be a great help to us in deciding .
    Susan
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. HiHoSilver

HiHoSilver New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Never owned one but have had many as personal friends.They are laid back,gentle great dopey fools.Don't look for an Einstein in this breed!Loving,sweet, EYECATCHING! If you don't like being stared at and talking to strangers about your dog this is not the breed for you.
    The only drawback is,like all giant breeds,a short lifespan.
    I'm assuming you're ready for the humongous feed and vet bills so I don't count that as a drawback.
    Suggestion:Lead train it as a puppy.You have a small window of opportunity to do this while you outweigh your dog so use it!
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2011
  4. zoe1969

zoe1969 New Member

Name:
    Zoe
    I don't have an IWH but my hubby had one before we met and he was gorgeous!! Good temperament apparently.
    We also know a lady who has 12 IWH's!!:shock: I've met them all and they are so gentle and sweet. They are massive though!! And as HiHo says they don't have a long lifespan.
    Also with hounds you have to be careful with small animals sometimes as they can have hunting instincts but they are very gentle with humans xx
  5. madisondobie

madisondobie New Member

Name:
    madisondobie
    Agree with the others descriptions, ive had three and they really are gentle giants, good with children and other animals, agree with them not being einsteins:lol:
    They attract alot of attention and comments of "do you need a saddle for that thing" very docile in the house once they have had their exercise.
    Big down side is the short life span - my three girls were 7yrs,6yrs and 2 1/2yrs when we lost them - they leave a big gap in the house.