Is a pimple just a pimple or worse? Health

Discussion in 'Chinese Crested' started by Dildonia, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Dildonia

Dildonia New Member

Name:
    Cheryl
    Azz likes this.

Is a pimple just a pimple or worse?

I have a Chinese Crested PowderPuff 5yrs male. He was taken to Banfield animal hospital on 8/31/2014. My concern, my hands would itch, then white spots,then little circles. He had a pimple on his thigh.. they wouldn't look at it, just said, I was having a reaction to flea bites. ODD!! I am 50 years old and have never had this type of reaction to fleas before. I have been buying lotrimin creams, powders, sprays since May/June for my hands and now feet because he tries to sit on my feet. I do not believe I am having a reaction to flea bites. I gave the dog 8 in 1 and also D-wormer. When we tried to do a home groom there was a white sticky[very sticky] worm type thing on the table. Today he has 2 pimples on the side of his pee-pee. Should I put lotrimin on those? Can anyone recommend a vet who listens to the concerns of the pet owner? I am on disability so I have limited income. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Sounds like it could be tapeworm.
  4. Dildonia

Dildonia New Member

Name:
    Cheryl
    What do I do to help him? H.e got the 8 in 1 , next dose will be 11/1/2014. He was given the D-wormer a couple days ago. I plan on doing the D-wormer in 2 months as well
  5. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    I take him to another vets maybe to the PDSA or Blue Cross for second opinion
  6. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Fleas can cause worms sounds like your boy needs worming with a good wormer like Drontal or similar, shop bought wormer's are not very good.

Im not familiar with Lotrimin so cant advise. Have you tried Apple cider vinegar it soothes the skin and helps repel fleas,mix it with water in equal quantities you could dab it on or spray .
    Flea Allergy Dermatitis http://www.bobmckee.com/Client Info/NewFiles/flea allergy in dogs.html
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Tina, Cheryl is in the US and I do not think they have such things as the PDSA where she is.
  8. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    I was going to suggest worming him as well, and if that didn't help to seek a second opinion.

Perhaps the PDSA could help? http://www.pdsa.org.uk/pdsa-vet-care

Edit: sorry, didn't realise you weren't in the UK
  9. Dildonia

Dildonia New Member

Name:
    Cheryl
    I am in northern Virginia. Warrenton Va to be specific. I went to Banfield in Gainesville Va. I thought I liked what I read, But I was way wrong. The vet assistant wanted to talk to my boyfriend about too many women in her field..:confused:! I was not applying for a job!! I just wanted care for my little guy, I'm so worried!
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Cheryl, I know that your little dog is a guy and Pereg is a girl, but do the spots look anything like this?

[​IMG]
  11. Dildonia

Dildonia New Member

Name:
    Cheryl
    Sadly, yes they look similar. His aren't as red. The smaller lighter ones are the similar ones. What is it?
  12. Dildonia

Dildonia New Member

Name:
    Cheryl
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Cheryl, the spots did not irritate Pereg and she did not lick them - I just noticed them and because she has epilepsy I am possibly over protective of her, so I took her to the vet in case it was something to do with her medication or an allergy that could trigger seizures.

But we do not know what it was or what caused it. She had full blood tests and a skin scrape - hair was clipped and the skin scrape and hair put in some sort of culture - and all it showed was that it was some sort of zoonotic infection which could not be identified but could not be transmitted to me, as ringworm could be. It was definitely not fleas, or worms.

As far as I can remember she had a week or 10 days antibiotics, plus some E.N.P. cream [Enilconazole 1%, Neomycin 2%, Prednisalone 5%] which cleared them up. But on some rare occasions she still gets small sore-looking patches in her groin or axilla, although not spots as they were, so I always keep some of the cream here.

The antibiotics and cream are not expensive but they can only be gotten through a vet. And I know how difficult it is to manage on a small disability pension as that is all I get, and Pereg's medication and regular blood tests cost a lot of money.

But I chose to adopt her when she was a tiny puppy [she is a mutt of no known origin] therefore it is my responsibility to do everything I can for her.

I guess what I am trying to say is that you really need to take your little guy to a vet and have proper tests done, as nobody on the internet can diagnose what the problem might be. And no way can we, or anyone else, tell you what to use for whatever the problem is.

I am sorry that I cannot be any help to you - only a qualified veterinarian can.
  14. Dildonia

Dildonia New Member

Name:
    Cheryl
    I did try to take my dog to the vet for the issues. Was told it was only fleas. Benasoothe shampoo $32.99 for a 12ounce bottle for the itchy skin[still does belly rubs so it didn't work], Simplicef 100mg tablet[7 pills. took them all] $19.95, First shield trio $56.95[was told to throw away the vet guard plus I bought at walmart because they said it does not work, also do not buy frontline, only first shield trio] and capstar[I cannot find the price I know it was expensive] office visit was near fifty..spent nearly $200 for them to the dog had fleas which I already knew. The basement of the home I rent is on 3 acres, so fleas will be an issue until I move to town. Oh, the pimple doesn't seem to bother him either but they bother me terribly[I don't know whats causing them]. Banfield was NO help.
  15. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I use Frontline Plus spot-on for fleas and ticks for Pereg. I do it on the 1st of every month except for December and February. And she has Drontal Plus [or the equivalent] every six months against worms and intestinal parasites.

I am lucky in that my Vet does not charge a consultation fee - just for treatment - and he will also take payments if necessary. He also does not over-charge for any necessary medication or blood tests, whereas most vets are liable to do.

So I do not know what to suggest to you. I am not in the US, I am not even in the UK [Breedia being a UK based site although of course it is for everyone worldwide] but I am in Israel. But I have the advantage of having a wonderful vet who cares for all animals, does not overcharge, and - most important for Pereg - knows so much about canine epilepsy that he gives seminars to other vets on the subject.

I do wish I could help you Cheryl, but I cannot. And I do not know what else to suggest that you should do.
  16. Dildonia

Dildonia New Member

Name:
    Cheryl
    I am happy for you that you were able to find such a great vet.
    I waited 2/3 years before adopting/rescuing Oswald. I was so grief stricken when Bruiser passed away. He was a Rottweiler mix[mixed with what...who knows]. Sadly, he only lived 9 short[very short] years. He is deeply missed. Bruiser passed December 17, 2011 at 1:00pm. Christmas is not a holiday I like celebrating anymore because of this. I do not want to lose Oswald. He's my only companion.
  17. Dildonia

Dildonia New Member

Name:
    Cheryl
    When I quit using the expensive benasoothe shampoo, I bought him Oster oatmeal naturals insect guard shampoo. I will also try the apple cider vinegar and water. Thanks