Is a Samoyed right for us? Introductions

Discussion in 'Samoyed' started by JodieS, Sep 5, 2016.

1. JodieS

JodieS New Member

Name:
    JodieS

Is a Samoyed right for us?

I'm new to this site. I had a dog growing up, a Border Collie. However, as I have been working full time ever since I have not had a dog in about 15 years.

I may be giving up work in the next few months and would really like to get a family dog.

My partner and I live in a fairly big house. We have an average sized garden which is secure and has room to have a good run around. We have 2 small boys aged 1 and 2 and a 13 year old step son who stays with us at weekends. We also have a family cat who is 3 years old. We are very active people and spend a lot of time walking. I am spending the winter committing to a daily run or bike ride to make sure that I can give a dog a good daily exercise routine. Our house is rarely empty and the majority of places we visit with the kids are dog friendly too.

We're particularly attracted to the Samoyed breed from what I've read about it's personality! We would like a family friendly dog who can keep up on a good walk.

I'm interested to know if a Samoyed is the right breed for us?

From what I've researched on the breed my main point of concern is the shedding ! I am happy to do a daily vacuum and spend half an hour brushing a dog. Is this sufficient time to keep that fur (kind of) under control?

My other worry is if it will get on with our friendly cat. We have a 3 story house with baby gates so the cat has a good escape route if required but I would want him to remain confident and happy in the whole house.

Any tips from Samoyed owners would be appreciated!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    JodieS likes this.

I don`t have this breed but know people who do, and from what I gather about shedding is THEY SHED a lot !!!

Daily grooming my help you keep it down, but even this will not stop the dog shedding coat and `forget when they blow the coat........... if you are interested in this breed then be prepared for a heavy shedding dog.

You only have to look around the Sami ring at shows to see the amount of coat that will come out in one groom.

Regards the cat, if you bring a pup in you should have no problem.
  4. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    JodieS and CaroleC like this.
    Oh and dont forget they like to bark !
  5. JodieS

JodieS New Member

Name:
    JodieS
    Thanks Jackie for the tips. Our neighbours have dogs which bark a lot so I don't think noise will be an issue for anyone.
    I think with a good set of brushes and a new pet hair Hoover we can manage the fur! They are worth it after all!

Very glad to hear the cat situation has potential.