Is he a Dutch Shepherd? Questions

Discussion in 'Dutch Shepherd Dog' started by Bubbadel, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Bubbadel

Bubbadel New Member

Name:
    Del

Is he a Dutch Shepherd?

Hi all,
    i have what i believe to be a Dutch Shepherd, i got the dog from a friends relative who is a police dog handler, he found Murphy (my dog) after a call about an abandoned dog, he liked him so much he kept him for himself rather than hand him over to the police dog training school. But due to his long hours he had to rehome the dog after a few months and as my old GSD had died about 3 months before i was glad to take Murphy off his hands, he was about 10 months old when i got him, very well trained as you would expect. Anyway i thought he was a GSD cross because of the strange brindle markings on his legs, shoulders, chest and rear quarters, smaller paws and signs of white in his fur on chest and legs, well someone mentioned Dutch Sheperd which got me looking on the net, and i found pictures of dogs very similar in appearance to Murphy.He does have all the characteristics of a Dutch. Are there any other Dutch Shepherd owners here that could confirm him being a Dutch or how could i find out? They are also a rare breed from what i have found on the net and i would maybe like to mate him with another Dutch, how should i go about finding a breeder needing a Dog for mating/breeding. Here's a pic but not the best to show his markings
    [​IMG]
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    This is a Dutch Shepherd

Nothing like your dog who looks like a GSDX

Dutch shepherds are all brindle with either a rough, smooth or long coat

Why do you want to breed from him, you know nothing about his background & I bet you haven't had him hip scored or tested for haemophilia
  4. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    I agree with Dyane. Your dog looks GSDx to me.
  5. basi

basi New Member

Name:
    jenny
    I have to agree with others about him being a GSDx and the health tests you will have to do, hips,elbows,eyes ect...
  6. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    As far as I'm aware there are only a few, if any, dutch shepherds here in the UK so the chances of finding an abandoned one that isn't chipped or tatooed would be very remote. He looks like a GSD cross to me.
    Becky
  7. novavizz

novavizz New Member

Name:
    Kaz
    From what I have read about Dutch Shepherds they have a very keen work drive, it is unlikely that you would have had one straying. They are not common in the UK and I would have thought any here would have been imported hence the chipping or tattooing already mentioned. I think you have yourself a lovely GSD cross. Breeding from your dog would just produce more crossbreeds and, as the owner of the stud, you would have little or no say in where his pups finished up. Something to think about.............you could read this thread, you might change your mind......

http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=12589
  8. Wysiwyg

Wysiwyg New Member

Name:
    Lindsay
    I tend to agree, he is very much a GSD cross in my view - nice lad :smt001

Wys
    x
  9. Bubbadel

Bubbadel New Member

Name:
    Del
    Yes he is a great dog, great temperment, and i don't really care if he's not a Dutchie, just curious as to what he was because of his unusual markings, i'd love to know what he's a cross with...the mind boggles:roll:
  10. Bubbadel

Bubbadel New Member

Name:
    Del
    I don't like your tone i have to say, you know nothing about me so don't bet!! Do you think a police dog handler with police vets at his disposal did not get him checked over when he was found....Don't bet on it because you will lose your money:lol:
  11. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    Let's get this right Police vets would only X ray a dog that the police are considering as a working police dog & they do not hemophilia test as this is only done for dogs that are going to be bred from.

The police also do not score unless they dog is going to be bred from. They do X ray all police dog candidates after they have passed the assessment stage

So you are telling me the police would pay for testing a dog that belongs to a police officer that isn't their property ? Certainly the police forces I have worked with(not for)would view this as a big no no. A brief once over if the vet is at the police kennels yes, but X raying & hemophilia testing no.
  12. Patch

Patch New Member

Name:
    Patch
    I agree with the others, Alsatian cross. If he is not a cross, then lovely as he is, he is, I would have to say, a very poor example of an Alsatian so should not be bred from, let alone having no pedigree so no way to research his ancestry for any carrier health problems, and to avoid putting him to a close relative no matter how remote the possibility.

JoedeeUK is correct, potential working police dogs are hip x-rayed [ not hip scored ], and only *after* passing assessments, and are not hemophilia tested unless for breeding. I can tell you for sure, the police certainly would not breed from a stray of unknown parentage/history, let alone a possible [ probable ], crossbreed so if I were a gambler I would put a bet on breeding tests not having been done and I would win that bet I believe ;-)

A dog being of a lovely temperament alone is not a good enough reason to breed. Had you got him from a rescue rather than just passed on by someone who did`nt have time for him, he would have been neutered to ensure that no irresponsible breeding from the dog, [ I`m sorry, there is no other way to put it :? ], could ever be contemplated.

As for picking up a stray and `handing it over` to the dog training school, thats simply not how it works. For a start, did he make attempts to trace an owner ? Did he fulfil the obligation to do that before deciding to `take` ownership ? Did he allow the legal time span for owner tracing before a dog can be claimed as property by the finder ?
    When the police consider rescues / hand-ins they still have to be assessed for that, there are procedures to be followed, its not just a case of picking up a stray and handing it over to a police dog training unit.

I digress, sorry :blush: He looks like a lovely companion, please just enjoy him in that capacity, and I beg you please put all thoughts of breeding from him firmly out of your mind, its not the caring nor ethical thing to do, not on any level.
    Please reconsider :?
  13. Wolfie

Wolfie New Member

Name:
    Corrie
    I have to agree with the others as to your lad being a GSD X, and one that shouldn't be bred from.

He's lovely none the less :grin:
  14. MazY

MazY New Member

Name:
    Me
    I am completely at a loss to imagine what made you think, even for a second, that the dog shown in that picture is a Dutch Shepherd. Take a look at all these Dutch Shepherd images and you will maybe see how bizarre a notion it is.

What you clearly have there is a GSD or a GSD cross. It's only something about his ears that makes me think he's a cross. Otherwise, I'd say he's just a poor out of shape example of a GSD. Personally, having a GSD is something that I'd be over the moon about, but I'm biased. :)