Is health testing necessary? (Pug related) Discussions

Discussion in 'Pug' started by Zara's_Momma, May 11, 2010.

1. Zara's_Momma

Zara's_Momma New Member

Name:
    Nat or Debbie (depending who's online!)

Is health testing necessary? (Pug related)

Hi everyone,

I have recently been in contact with various pug breeders, mainly to see whether the pug breed is for us and to talk to some experienced people.

However, before I stared researching, I had it in my mind that I definitely wanted a pup from parents that had been tested/screened for hereditary health problems. But, I have been told by some breeders that they have not tested their dogs, but they do see the vet yearly for vaccinations (unless they have been unwell). They say it is too risky to put short muzzled dogs under anesthetic.
    They also say that they do not breed from dogs that snore excessively and we are more than welcome to come and view all of the dogs at the house. They weren't the slightest bit pushy for us buy a pup either.

I'm just wondering if it's a daft idea to by a pup from un-health tested dogs? I'm not so sure? It seems pretty common....

Any thoughts?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Mother*ship

Mother*ship New Member

Name:
    J
    I really would be cautious about getting a dog from breeders who think testing is unnecessary, I don't know about Pugs but I just googled and found a site called Pug World that seems to have lots of good info (I can't post a pic because it has forums so will probably be blocked). Remember with pugs it's not just the hips that need to be checked but the spine as well because of the curly tails.

I love the temperament of pugs but I think I'll be waiting a good few years in the hope of the myriad of health issues improving before I would consider one.

Also I think you might get more responses in a different section so it might be a good idea to ask the mods to move your post. There are a few pug owners on here who I'm sure could give you better info.

J.

Edited to add just found this site which some good info also....
    http://www.pugbreeders.net/
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2010
  4. AllyLambell

AllyLambell

Name:
    closed acct by Ally
    Good on you for doing a great deal of research before getting a dog/puppy; if more people did that then there would hopefully be less in shelters. We believe in healthtesting dogs as essential and whilst it cannot prevent some problems like Hip Dysplasia it can rule out other genetic issues and we wouldn't get a dog from any breeder who didn't heathtest. I don't think there are any excuses NOT to health test these days and is a sign of how good a breeder is imo.
  5. Jessica

Jessica New Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Yes, it is necessary to health test pugs. Sadly some pug breeders (and im not just talking about BYBs!!) refuse to health test their dogs. The risk of anaesthetic is a common excuse which does not work with me im afraid, I have had 3 of my dogs health tested and ALL have come through the anaesthetic with no problems. I also had to have one put under anaesthetic several times due to an injury and she was absolutely fine with it. Other common excuses are that the health problems are not in their lines (how do they know if they dont test!!!!) and that pugs dont have health problems (very untrue, although they dont have the problems people assume they have).

I have a pug who has hemivertebra. It is something that can be xrayed for and all of my dogs are xrayed as soon as they reach 12 months and their skeletons have finished growing. This is a test which is now recommended by the Pug Dog Club and there is no excuse not to do it. HV is a terrible thing to live with, it is a spinal deformity (basically the kink in the spine to make the tail curl has happened in another point of the spine causing a severe deformity. It may never cause a problem if you are very very lucky, but most likely it will cause the backend of the dog to be very unsteady and can lead to the dog being completely paralysed in its backend. My dog was diagnosed at 8 months and I have to live knowing that she could be paralysed at any time... It is not a nice thing to deal with.

I dont believe correctly bred pugs have any breathing problems, I certainly have never encountered this. It is only really seen in the dogs with over exaggerated nose rolls which is frowned upon in the show ring. They do have problems regulating their temperature when it is very hot but you have to be sensible and not walk them during the hottest part of the day, like any other dog.

I dont understand how the breeders you spoke to can possibly think that a yearly vaccination in any way compares to health testing their dogs for hereditary health problems...!!

I would suggest you insist on finding a GOOD breeder who is willing to put their hand in their pockets to test their dogs and arent just thinking about profit from pups.
  6. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie

Yes , not so much daft, but may cause you endless heartache in the future.

All the above reasons that have been given, are nothing more then "excuses" , and personally I would say,. if you cant find a breeder of pugs, that health tests, look for another breed, unless the public go in with knowledge and walk away from breeders who give excuses, they will continue to breed without health testing!!
  7. roxy.music

roxy.music New Member

Name:
    Roxy
    Xraying for HV is recommended.I have had my girl xrayed for it and she was clear.I was shocked (whilst searching for a suitable stud for her) how many breeders dont or wont get it done.Exactly as been said explinations were not risking putting my dog under anesthetic, not in my lines,that test is not necessary as it doesnt guarantee hv free pups,or no we dont test and we have never heard of hv before.shocking realy isnt it.
    I eventually found a nice hv tested healthy boy for her but took a while.
  8. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    Those breeders who say that it is unnecessary to test probably don't want to test theirs because some may fail which means then they either have not not use them in the breeding programme or use a dog that has failed, so the easiest way is not to test.
    Never go to a breeder like that!! Regardless as to breed.
    Becky
  9. Thalice

Thalice New Member

Name:
    MAUD
    I breed (a different breed) and it is totally negligent where there is a test available for inherited disease/defects not to do those tests.

There is a small risk using anaesthetics but most of the puppies that dog breeders sell will be neutered by their new owners and the same risks apply. They dont seem to be worried about that.

I think the main reasons for not testing are firstly the costs involved affects the profit margin. Then the prospects of finding out that an otherwise 'useful' dog/bitch needs to be taking out of a breeding programme. Again this affects profits as it costs so much to bring up and test young stock - then their potential is not realised when they have to be rehomed.

How can you improve a breed without obtaining all the information potentially available to you ?

So please dont buy from untested parents because if we educate the public about testing and there is no demand for such puppies we will either force breeders to do the right thing or force them out of business.

Thalice's Mum
    :024:
  10. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    I can never understand why people are happy to spend out serious dosh for dogs with no health tests when they would not do the same for a fridge, or a TV.

Barmey!
  11. Jessica

Jessica New Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Im sorry, but that made me giggle :lol: Got an image of people queuing up at customer services demanding to see health testing for their new fridge or tv :lol:

Im sorry, I know what you mean, but that made me chuckle :mrgreen: