Is my 5 and half month old a staff cross mastiff? Questions

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by DaniiTaylor, Oct 17, 2012.

1. DaniiTaylor

DaniiTaylor New Member

Name:
    Danii

Is my 5 and half month old a staff cross mastiff?

[​IMG]

I was just wondering what breed she is because people are saying she has pit in her but i know she has not because i had pit cross staff and she looks nothing like one she is big for a staff and she was house trained within 5 days i got her when she was 8 and half weeks old and ever since ive been wondering what breed she is because the people i got her from didnt mention what her dad was but her mum was staff cross pit please can someone help :grin:

Also i did the game thing on a dog webiste which asked what shape the ears and that was on the dog and it come up with mastiff its really bugging me she has such a lovely tempermant
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    I wouldn't mention the word pit tbh but your post doesn't make sense to me. How can she not have any pit in her if her mum was a staff x pit?
  4. DaniiTaylor

DaniiTaylor New Member

Name:
    Danii
    well when we took her too the vets we asked about if she would have pit but her mum only had quarter according too the poeple we brought the pup from so the vet said she dont think she would have it and the vet also asked about her dad which i know nothing off her mum didnt even look like a staff too me im just really stuck
  5. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    Any dog is a mixture of all it's ancestors, they don't just disappear because the percentages get smaller as more and more breeds are added to the mix.

I think the people you got her from are not the best source of information as they can't even say what the dad was.

I'd say she's a good looking mongrel and leave it at that tbh.
  6. DaniiTaylor

DaniiTaylor New Member

Name:
    Danii
    No I know there not and ok thanks for the help anyways.
  7. krlyr

krlyr

Name:
    Karly
    She will have a proportion of Pitbull in her blood if her mum was a Staffie x Pitbull - but this doesn't mean that she will have inherited the physical features of the Pitbull.
    The DDA does not ban the Pitbull as a breed but as a type, so although I would not advertise to anyone that she has Pitbull in her ancestry, she does not fall foul of the DDA simply for having Pitbull in her genes.
    The picture doesn't show up for me (if it's on Facebook then it's blocked at work) but if she doesn't particularly resemble a Pitbull then I would simply not mention it to anyone and carry on as you were. I would tell people her mum was a Staffie cross and leave it at that - only because some people buy into the media hype that Pitbulls are automatically some kind of child-eating monster and may cause problems for you and your dog if they get wind.
  8. DaniiTaylor

DaniiTaylor New Member

Name:
    Danii
    Ohh sorry I didn'w know it was bad too say about pits i know them kind off dogs can be horrible but its the way the owners bring them up i guess and thanks its just worrying me not knowing what she is i have a pedigree staff and they look nothing alike lol when i walk her everyone always ask what dog she is cross between im not sure whether too have a dna test or not
  9. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    I wouldn't bother -- they are a con and a waste of money.
  10. DaniiTaylor

DaniiTaylor New Member

Name:
    Danii
    what having a dna test is a con?
  11. krlyr

krlyr

Name:
    Karly
    I would simply be wary of mentioning it because there are legal ramifications of a dog being accused of being "of type". Your dog doesn't even have to have one ounce of Pitbull in her to be 'of type', if she meets the height, length, weight and build used under the DDA legislation to recognise "of type" dogs. There have been recent case of Boxer crosses, Labrador crosses, even a purebred Labrador was recently seized on a TV show I believe, for being "of type". Because the law does not ban the Pitbull breed, any crossbreed that looks similar to a Pitbull can be seized and ordered to be euthanised if found to be an illegal 'type' dog. Also, because the law goes by these measurements/outward appearances, it can be very difficult to appeal against the decision.
    Combined with the prejudice many people form when you mention the name Pitbull, I would certainly not give anyone reason to report my dog. As far as I was concerned, I would be telling people she was a Staffie cross, I would be enrolling her in dog training classes, perhaps doing the KC Good Citizen scheme to get some formal recognition of how well-trained she was, ensuring she was spayed and microchipped, and always impeccably behaved in public. All it takes is one interfering neighbour or someone with a personal grievance with you to report her as a Pitbull type and it could cause a lot of problems and heartbreak for you.

Btw, DNA tests are known to be not completely accurate - saw these links on another forum today which made for interesting reading
    http://sheltermedicine.vetmed.ufl.edu/library/research-studies/current-studies/dog-breeds/
    http://sheltermedicine.vetmed.ufl.e...udies/current-studies/dog-breeds/dna-results/

They have to rely on the breed being on their database - not every breed in existance has been recorded so the system has to use a similar, but not necessary accurate, close match. Also some companies have explained the potential for incorrect results due to the genetic differences even in different lines of the same breed. For example, a line of Dobermanns bred in Europe may have a slightly different genetic makeup to Dobermanns in the US. If you sent in the DNA of a US-bred Dobermann to a company that only had the European Dobermann on their database, the DNA would not be matched and the system may assign the next closest match - which may not necessarily be the European Dobermann!

When people read the words DNA testing, they often think of the DNA testing used by, for example, the police system. But in that scenario they are matching one DNA sample to another to see if they match. In the case of dog DNA testing, they have one dog's sample and they have to try to match bits and pieces of it to an unknown combination of multiple breeds which may all have slightly different genetic makeup, or breeds that they don't even have on their database - so this is where the tests can be inaccurate.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2012
  12. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    Because they are not accurate.

On another forum I used to be a member of someone did a DNA test for their obvious Labrador cross. I think the results included every breed but a Labrador and included a Bichon.
  13. DaniiTaylor

DaniiTaylor New Member

Name:
    Danii
    Oh I didn't know that im rather worried now and ok maybe i wont go for the dna lol i always thought they was accurate and thanks I will have a read
  14. krlyr

krlyr

Name:
    Karly
    In reality, most 'type' dogs only tend to get reported because there was another reason. For example, like I said, a neighbour with a personal agenda. Alternatively, dogs that are a noise nuisance might get reported as a means to an end (because getting the council to take action on a noisy dog can be hard work), or if they've shown aggressive behaviour out in public - not necessarily to a human but even just to other dogs or to cats.
    Alternatively the dog may be found straying and a particularly fussy DW may decide that the dog looks 'of type' and report it, the owner might get into trouble for something else and upon getting a home visit from the police, the dog is spotted and the police decide to persue a warrant to seize it as 'of type'. Lots of reasons but many dogs go about their lives normally, despite being 'of type' on paper. There's no system that could catch them all - and the whole system is flawed in that whether a dog looks 'of type' or not can be partly down to personal opinion too.
    I'd say try not to worry too much - there's nothing you can do to change your dog's physical features. I'd just be sensible, like I say, be the model dog owner - well-trained, not bothering anyone, spayed and microchipped to show you're a responsible owner (regularly vaccinated and flea/worm treated make help show this too - as well as enabling your vet to give a personal reference for the dog if ever needed, if they see them on a semi regular basis) and keep quiet about the dog's lineage. Don't ever brag that they're part-Pit, don't do anything to portray a "hard"/aggressive image (so no threats of using your dog, even if someone is being abusive to you), and try to soften the dog's image with girly collars and leads. I know lots of Pit owners in the US use things like cute bandanas to give the dogs a softer image and change public perception.
    You may perhaps even want to decide on a breed you will call the dog, even if you're not 100% sure. For example, you could say it was a Staffie x Mastiff if you wanted - OK, both of those breeds do suffer from stereotyping and negative public image at times, but in a way you are removing any speculation, rather than calling her a Staffie cross which might lead on to people trying to guess the cross - and perhaps wondering if there is Pitbull in there.
  15. DaniiTaylor

DaniiTaylor New Member

Name:
    Danii
    she has been microchipped and had all her injections which I intend too keep up on aswell as worming and deflead she has regular health checks and everything and she has never been noisy whilst playing in the garden and she has never shown aggression too a human or other animals al she wants too do is play with other dogs she must think she is a cat because she paws things like a cat as she was brought up with a kitten lol they are the best off friends and she was attacked by a black lab when i was walking her and it didn't knock her confidence she didn't even fight back she just coward she is best friends with the next doors boxer she is also know as roxy they have the same colour markings lol she has a very good temperment but it just bugs me not knowing what she is cross between lol i should just call her a staff i guess
  16. zoeyvonne

zoeyvonne New Member

Name:
    zoe
    She does look Mastiff cross Staffy so I would call her that when asked, I don't think you will ever truly know but by looks that sounds about right to me, she is gorgeous by the way:grin: I take it mum was a wanderer if they do not know who the dad is:017: or maybe they were worried that such a large breed being involved would put buyers off??? Anyway enjoy her she looks a great dog :grin: :grin: :grin:
  17. DaniiTaylor

DaniiTaylor New Member

Name:
    Danii
    Thank you I always thought she did look like one i see puppt staff cross mastiff same colour as roxy and they looked just how she did and no her mum was there family dog but when we went too pick out off the pups they told me what breed the mum was but didnt mention the dad and when i tried asking they changed subject which was very strange but roxy picked me thats why i chose her lol she is such a quick learner and she is getting big lol
  18. Dobionekenobi

Dobionekenobi New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    I agree with the others. I would never ever mention the word Pit again just in case. You don't want to lose your dog after all. Also, I'm just not sure in this case why you would bother with the hassle and expense of a DNA test. What does it matter?! You've bought the pup, you're happy with her so why do you need any more of an analysis?