Is my boy a Springer or a Field Spaniel?

Discussion in 'Field Spaniel' started by firefox, Feb 21, 2010.

1. firefox

firefox New Member

Name:
    Suzy

Is my boy a Springer or a Field Spaniel?

My boy, Loki, belonged to a family from 8 weeks but they obviously weren't prepared for the energy levels so sold him to me (hurrah!). She said that she saw both the parents and that they were both Springers but he has the colouring of a field spaniel and its possible his nose isn't as wide as a springer. I don't know anything except what I've just read on the internet about field spaniels but I thought springers were generally pretty much equally white and liver/black.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I'll try and get some better pictures up!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. pinklizzy

pinklizzy New Member

Name:
    N/A
    I would've said he was more like a working cocker? I'm sure someone more experienced will be along soon though.
    He's a little cutie, whatever he is! :mrgreen:
  4. firefox

firefox New Member

Name:
    Suzy
    Maybe. I don;t know much about them- off to research now!
    I thought he was small for 16 weeks when I got him but the woman said he was the smallest of the litter. He seems to have quite long legs and neck.
    I don't really care as I adore him but it'd be nice to know!!
  5. Lizzy23

Lizzy23 New Member

Name:
    Liz
    working cocker, or sprocker
  6. honeysmummy

honeysmummy New Member

Name:
    Cass
    Thats what I was thinking though i am no expert so didnt want to make a prat of myself :)
  7. firefox

firefox New Member

Name:
    Suzy
    Can I just ask what brings you to that conclusion (not questioning, I'd just like to know what it is about him that tells you this?) :)
  8. honeysmummy

honeysmummy New Member

Name:
    Cass
    As far as i am aware Springers dont come in Solid colours...plus cockers are smaller and have different ear set.
    The experts will be along in a minute tho....i have never owned either!!!! :)
  9. Krusewalker

Krusewalker

Name:
    kiwi
    i just had a field spaniel in my house today, they looked similar
  10. Misty-Pup

Misty-Pup New Member

Name:
    Sarah x
    I agree with this, either Working Cocker, or a Sprocker!

x
  11. wallaroo

wallaroo New Member

Name:
    Gill
    Trying to find a pic of my boy at a similar age, but having trouble finding one where he is both awake and not covered in mud or snow!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He is a springer x cocker
  12. Misty-Pup

Misty-Pup New Member

Name:
    Sarah x
    Here are a couple of pictures of Misty when she was a pup, can't remember her exact age in them. She is a sprocker, her mum is a springer, her dad a working cocker!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Her nose has got 'pointier' as she's grown up and she is still quite small!

x
  13. mishflynn

mishflynn

Name:
    Mish
    Sprocker!!!! :) Gorgeous!
  14. firefox

firefox New Member

Name:
    Suzy
    Well, that does make sense.
    Here's some more piccies:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Id say Springer/Cocker cross, looks too big to be a pedigree Cocker. Definitely not a Field Spaniel.
  16. wallaroo

wallaroo New Member

Name:
    Gill
    Does look so much like my Toby, I could easily pass those photos off as him!
  17. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    Agree with the springer/cocker cross. Has a look of a springer but isn't quite right so thinking cross.

Helen
  18. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    Doesn't look like a Field Spaniel to me. I agree with the others, maybe a Springer/Cocker mix.
  19. Sebastyne

Sebastyne New Member

Name:
    Sebastyne
    Diagreeing with the above: He certainly looks like a field spaniel, especially in that last photo, with the difference that his ears are attached very high, but it might look that way because he's not clipped, or just because he's not a result of knowledgeable breeding. (All spaniel ears should be attached quite low, apart from a couple, like Welch Springer Spaniel or Brittany Spaniel.) I can't remember ever seeing a full liver -coloured English Springer, but then again, I own a field spaniel so I don't really pay attention to springers quite as much. Fieldies look a bit different in USA than what they do in other parts of the world, the American ones are quite a bit smaller, Australian are average in size and Europeans quite large, especially in Scandinavia, which is due to a preference in these countries, even though all breed standards are the same.

I must say that this is the first time someone is suspecting their mystery pup is a Field Spaniel and I am inclined to go that way. Normally they look nothing like a fieldie. :D

I would say for a fair certainty, that at least one of his parents is a field spaniel, which are very often confused with springers. The other option is that there is a cocker in the mix, with a welch springer half, resulting in Springer body with cocker -colouring, but yes... I would say a Field Spaniel + Welch Springer is a higher likelihood.

I have a photo almost exactly like the one you posted last of my field spaniel, around the same age, wearing a harness, sniffing a bank, from the same side... Of course that one was taken on a film camera and I didn't scan it, as it was equally as blurry as yours. :D It's such a similar photo it's scary. :D

He's also showing signs of loose wrists in one photo, which is a typical condition for a growing field spaniel. It will correct itself when he grows up (don't let vets operate!).

I'll ask a few fieldie-owners what they think. :)
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2010
  20. Lizzy23

Lizzy23 New Member

Name:
    Liz
    Field spaniels are a bit heavier set over here, had one through rescue a couple of years since and you don't tend to get the white on them, he isn't a springer ears and colouring are wrong
  21. spaznchevy

spaznchevy New Member

Name:
    Madelyn
    i agree with the others springer/cocker spaniel mix