Is my puppy a Pom or a German Spitz? Questions

Discussion in 'Pomeranian' started by Gokhan, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Gokhan

Gokhan New Member

Name:
    Gokhan
    6JRT's likes this.

Is my puppy a Pom or a German Spitz?

Hello peeps, I'm new to the Poms myself and got one for myself. He has a European passport which the species indicates its a pom. Any pom puppy expert that can help me if my puppy is a pom or not? The guy i got the puppy from says its a purebred pom. Thanks. He is nearly 3 months old.

Attached Files:

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Very cute but you not going to know for sure what breed he is until he's fully grown [1-2 year old]
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    He is definitely extremely cute, but why does he have a European passport? Where did he come from?

Did the person you got him from give you any papers for him?
  5. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    As said, you won't know until he's older, but what makes you think he isn't?
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Pork1epe1, 6JRT's and Malka like this.
    I see nothing to suggest that he is not a Pom, but you should have much more documentation than a pet passport (which can be a forgery when puppies have been illegally imported).
    It sounds as if this puppy might have come through a dog dealer. I know there are long waiting lists for Pom puppies in this country, but there really is no substitute for buying from a breeder, and seeing the puppy at home, and WITH HIS MOTHER. An experienced breeder is invaluable if any problems do arise, whether with the puppy itself, or with its paperwork.
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    I would be concerned about a not yet three-month old puppy having a European passport as it is too young to fulfill all the requirements. For example the rabies vaccine for pet travel must be given a minimum a minimum of 21 days [UK Gov website 04 Feb 2014] before travel, with some time or evidence the vaccination is working [commonly blood serology tests.

A puppy must have had all its puppy vaccinations, and the rabies vaccine cannot be given until at least two weeks following the puppy shots, preferably four weeks. That timing does not fit in with a puppy that is under three-months old.

What "The guy i got the puppy from says its a purebred pom." sounds like the puppy has no proper papers and I agree with @CaroleC who said...
    ...and sounds like it could have been smuggled in, possibly from Eastern Europe.

The microchip, assuming the puppy has been 'chipped - another of the regulations - should show where the puppy was 'chipped, although that could have been done anywhere.
  8. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Where did you buy this puppy ??
  9. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    CaroleC likes this.
    I've no idea whether your pup is a Pom or not but whatever he is he's lovely!

As to the EU Pet Passport, take a look at the cover and it will tell you which country it was issued in. My own dogs have Hungarian EU Pet Passports and on the cover it says quite clearly "Europai Unio Magyarorszag", "European Union Hungary" and underneath "Allatutlevel", "Pet Passport". At the bottom of the cover there should be a passport number which in the case of Hungary will have the prefix HU

As Malka has pointed out no ethical breeder would export a puppy from another EU country to the UK before the age of 17 weeks. However if the puppy was born in the UK, the breeder might have decided to pay a little extra when the puppy was microchipped for a UK (EU) Pet Passport, in which case it wouldn't be necessary to have the Rabies Vaccination as the puppy wouldn't be leaving the country.

Georgina was born on the 3rd July and was 9 weeks old when I brought her home around the 8th September. She'd already had her first vaccinations and I was told by her breeder she was due for the second ones within the next few days. For some reason I can't remember, we didn't go the vets until the 19th when she was microchipped, had the first half of the second round of vaccinations and was issued with her Pet Passport. She then had the second half on Oct 3rd and was given her Rabies vaccination on the 31st October By this time she was 17 weeks old and wouldn't by law, have been allowed to travel to the UK for another 21 days!

I'd suggest you take a really good look at your puppy's Pet Passport, which incidentally will also have the name and address of of the breeder/previous owner as well as the date of birth of your puppy. It could prove to be quite revealing!