Is this a chicken allergy? Questions

Discussion in 'French Bulldog' started by Grummit's Mom, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Grummit's Mom

Grummit's Mom New Member

Name:
    Jen

Is this a chicken allergy?

On day 5 after bringing my new puppy home, I gave him a few tiny pieces of cooked chicken about lunch time. Later that night he was shaking his head and scratching at his ears. It was going on all night and at 5am I was thinking I would take him to the vet later that day.

But by about 10am, he had stopped the shaking and scratching and seemed fine. But I was thinking he had an ear infection, so tried cleaning his ears to see if anything came out, but nothing, they were fine. I didn't make a connection with the chicken at that point.

Four days later I gave him cooked chicken again and he had the same reaction, but a bit worse this time, he scratched up his ears pretty bad. This time I made the connection with the chicken, so I'm thinking he must be allergic to it.

Problem is, the puppy food he's on which was the one I got from the breeder is poultry based protein. Its Royal Canin puppy food, so I'm a bit confused and not sure what to do. He seems fine on the puppy food, but reacts to chicken meat.

I was planning on changing him to Taste of the Wild, which is grain free, with no chicken, and have a bag already, but was going to wait until I've used most of the Royal Canin.

Does anyone know what may be going on, or have any advice. Of course I wont be giving him any more chicken, but I'm not sure what to do about his food, is this what a food allergy looks like?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Maybe more an intolerance rather than allergy. The amount in the complete food obviously isn't affecting him, but the extra amount could have caused a reaction.

I'd not give him any more 'extra' chicken and see how he fares. If he has the reaction again without the extra, then consider a chicken free meal.

Of course, it could just be coincidental, but I agree, it would have set alarm bells ringing with me too.

My girl is highly allergic to chicken. The slightest amount gives her chronic stomach ache
  4. Grummit's Mom

Grummit's Mom New Member

Name:
    Jen
    Thank you for replying, it's good to know it may not be an allergy, but as you say, more of a sensitivity. I wont be giving any more chicken, I couldn't bear watching him be so uncomfortable.

I'm now wondering if he will be ok with eggs and turkey. I suppose I will give him a little of each and find out.
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    For some strange reason, the majority of chicken sensitive dogs do seem to be OK with duck and turkey, but as you say, try a little first.
    I think Taste of the Wild is a much better food than Royal Canin - for some reason it seems to suit tummies, but have you read the ingredient list? Start mixing in an increasing quantity of the new brand as you get towards the bottom of the current bag - but I think you probably intended to do this as you already have the new product.