Is this a whippet thing? Behaviour

Discussion in 'Whippet' started by Lottie, May 5, 2008.

1. Lottie

Lottie New Member

Name:
    Lottie

Is this a whippet thing?

I can't decide if how Rowdy sleeps is quite common amongst dogs (I have NEVER seen it before!) or just whippets (not met many whippets) or whether he's just double jointed...

He will curl up like any other dogs, but his front legs will be under him and come out behind him :shock:

Everyone who's seen him can't believe it - my dogs have some odd sleeping positions but this is just weird! It just isn't right at all!

I'll try and get a picture but I swear if I didn't know better I'd say someone had stuck some fake limbs on!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Trixybird

Trixybird New Member

Name:
    Tracy
    :lol: :lol: to your last comment! pictures please x
  4. Sez & Amber

Sez & Amber New Member

Name:
    Sez
    Amber does this too, and we think she is part whippet. She seems to get herself into some weird positions when she sleeps, including resting on one shoulder with her head tucked under her body and her bum in the air :lol:
  5. Sarah27

Sarah27 New Member

Name:
    Edna
    :) Bryan sleeps that way sometimes. He tucks his front legs right under and his back legs right forward so they cross over underneath him and stick out the opposite end - very cute
  6. Kicks

Kicks New Member

Name:
    Hazel
    felix does this as well, he has legs sticking out all over :lol:
  7. Lottie

Lottie New Member

Name:
    Lottie
    I will try and get a picture today.... I thought my dogs slept funny, but his legs are unbelievable!! :lol: Thanks guys for the input, if Kicks hadn't said that felix does it I'd have assumed it was a whippet thing!
  8. Kicks

Kicks New Member

Name:
    Hazel
    ah well you know how odd my special wee man is :lol:
  9. Lottie

Lottie New Member

Name:
    Lottie
    :lol: well yes...
  10. Ixectrona

Ixectrona New Member

Name:
    Frida
    Yes, whippet legs can be positioned in almost every possible way! :lol:
    I have some pictures, but sadly none of his most extreme (and common) ways to sleep.

(The last two pics is not for kids or people who have trouble with nightmares :p)
    http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/9356/p1020034qd7.jpg
    http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/2756/p1010706ns9.jpg
    http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/7692/p1010679ss7.jpg
    http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/1260/p1010824ao2.jpg

To be serious though - yes, they are extremely agile and loves comfort - and at the same time, they have long legs. So that can just lead to one thing. :mrgreen:

CC often sleeps in everything from belly upp, with one front paw almost at the ceiling... to curled in a fetal position, with the hind legs at his face. :roll:
  11. Kicks

Kicks New Member

Name:
    Hazel
    Had forgotten about this! But just to add Harry now sleeps like this as well - maybe its a "whippie merle" thing?
  12. lovezois

lovezois Fondly remembered

Name:
    Eunice
    Hi Lottie It's a hound thing they all have a bit of the contortionist in them LOL
  13. scorpio

scorpio Member

Name:
    Sheree

That last pic is so funny :lol: What a lovely fella he is :grin:
  14. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
    what whippets sleep funny? Never.. No self respecting lurcher would ever been seen in an odd sleeping position....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Of course Pharaoh has no self respect:)
  15. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    LOL, both of pair lie in some very funny positions too, think it must be the long legs they don't know what to do with them! :lol:
  16. wendi

wendi New Member

Name:
    wendy
    hello,
    i have a sloughi x greyhound and he sleeps on his back with his back legs wide open and his front ones flopped down to his chest, with his head tucked at an odd angle,
    must be because of the lanky legs that these dogs have, or just mine showing off, how agile he is,
  17. greyhoundk

greyhoundk New Member

Name:
    Eleanor
    Yep that is a typical greyhound/whippet pose - its called roaching (don't ask me why) ! - maybe its more comfortable for them being deep chested - it can't be very comfy sleeping on their front