Is this the breed for me? Questions

Discussion in 'Cavalier King Charles Spaniel' started by ricksen24, Mar 23, 2006.

1. ricksen24

ricksen24 New Member

Is this the breed for me?

Hi there, i am 22 years old live bymyself in a small 3 bedroomed house with a wee garden front + back.

I plan to get myself a wee black + tan Cavalier King charles spaniel.

So before i commit i am going to ask a few questions!

The house i live in is brand new i regretfully put a wooden floor throughout the type of flooring is called engineered floor will a Cav's wee paws mark it?
    I also have a leather suite which bust the bank balance will a puppy wreck it?

Also i work most days ALL day i work in an office about 1 min from the house so would na be a problem to go home at lunch also when the dog is trained then it would be ok for him to come to work2! Would it be 2 long a day for this breed to be alone?

Also i would like to no where the best place to find a pup is ? i have been keeping my eye on the local papers but they very rarely come up it has to be proper KC registered.

What do you guys think ?
    Is this cute little breed for me ?

:lol:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Daniellew

Daniellew New Member

i would not suggest you have a puppy if you work for more than 4 hours a day, i just dont think its fair on a small puppy and 2ndly i would not reccomend that you buy a pup from the newspapers unless the breeders are very reputable or KC registered and have eye and heart checks done on their dogs.
  4. ricksen24

ricksen24 New Member

A lot of Breeders around the north of Scotlland, espeicially the North East use the paper to advertise, in a sparce area like this how else are they going to let people no there are Puppies/Dos available ?
    In my position the dog would not be alone for more than 4 hours at any time.
  5. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    To be brutally honest cavaliers crave human companionship & to be left every day would not be a good thing. Puppies need to be taken out on the hour & after every meal, when they wake up & when they display the need to go to toilet. If you are away even for under 4 hours every day you wouldn't be able to this

Also if you are very worried about a few marks on the floor & a piece of furniture are you really ready for any dog ?

So no they aren't a suitable breed for you IMHO you could consider a cat as they are a solitary creature as opposed to dogs who are pack animals
  6. Katiecoos

Katiecoos New Member

Name:
    Kathryn
    Agree with JoeDee personally I think it would be cruel to leave a puppy for so long, they need more company than just popping in at lunch time. I feel guilty leaving my 10 year old for 4 hours a day, and all she does is sleep all day, but when I come home she follows me everywhere up and down the stairs, bathroom, everywhere because she loves company. If there is a worry about spoiling furniture and flooring then I really wouldn`t get a puppy.
  7. chelsea

chelsea New Member

Name:
    Jean
    Yes i agree with joedee and katiecoos you would be better off getting an older dog anyway i wish you luck.