Itchy scabby skin & licking OCD Diet

Discussion in 'West Highland White Terrier' started by Mrs Christina Parkes, Aug 8, 2019.

1. westietude

westietude New Member

Name:
    Debbie
    Hi, sorry to hear about your dog......just to give some good advice about food.....I do feed raw as this is best. I feed raw, fresh veg and fruit. No beef, soya, carbohydrates this includes potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice, all grains, etc etc. No dairy, eggs, milk, cheese. No biscuits or kibble at all. No carrots as the glycemic index is too high. Should only feed veg with low glycemic index. May I add that steroids do more harm than good........do your research on this one if you don’t believe me. ......also look up about side effects. You should never wash a Westie.......as you don’t want chemicals on there skin, this includes Evan the dry shampoos, and the so called ones for sensitive skin. Get some colostrum ........do some research on this. Do lots of research on vaccinations too......

Make sure you hoover well......2 to 3 times a week to try to keep dust mites to min. Vets often recommend certain foods.....and they may be expensive too......be careful.......they usually contain loads of stuff a dog does not want or need......research into this as well if you like. No preservatives, colours, etc etc.

Dentastix are no good for any dog......read the ingredients in them then research them too.......

Carbohydrates are converted to sugars in dogs so none of them are any good, and if your dog is a diabetic then obviously no good at all.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. westietude

westietude New Member

Name:
    Debbie
    Ps.....info not from google just in case.....
  4. westietude

westietude New Member

Name:
    Debbie
  5. westietude

westietude New Member

Name:
    Debbie
    try the raw raw veg but not carrots or peas. I mix mine up in a small mixer......dark greens or cabbage, broccoli stalks, coconut oil is great.....I use lots of that.....but just use a small amount at first if you use it. A lot of dogs will eat coconut oil on its own.....but would need to use small amount at first. I use organic, cold pressed coconut......lovely.....and good for their skin too....internally and externally,, .....mix some plain cooked meat init .....not beef. Don’t give ant carbohydrates it will not do skin any good......dogs do not need any of these despite what any vet says......good luck.
  6. Mrs Christina Parkes

Mrs Christina Parkes New Member

Name:
    Tina
    Things have changed dramatically with Lily, since my last post. Lily's skin and ear problems have all been clear for about 4 months now. However, we have a new problem so I will begin a new post.
  7. Tony Connelly

Tony Connelly New Member

Name:
    Tony
    Hi, I'm having very similar issues with my westie Rosie, that's why I joined the group. Can I ask what you did change that has made the difference? Rosie is very fussy and has boiled chicken breast with a little grain free kibble. Thanks.
  8. WestieLove1224

WestieLove1224 New Member

Name:
    Cyrus
    Do you have any advice for an older Westie who's been on a grain free dry diet and developed severely oily skin and stench after an episode with fleas a few months back? The vet put him on a hydrolyzed prescription diet and the greasy coat has significantly lessened. They said it was an allergy to the histamine in protein but the diet is temporary. Any suggestions on the best way to go about introducing new foods to the little guy?