Jimmi the JRT Photos

Discussion in 'Jack Russell Terrier' started by Bitkin, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Bitkin

Bitkin Member

Name:
    Sally

Jimmi the JRT

Here he is doing his Elvis impression (he has several teeth missing you see, so getting that fang tucked in is tricky).

jimmi 2 068.jpg

We have no idea how old he is, but we brought him home from Dogs Trust four years ago. I suspect that he is well into his teens.

jimmi 2 031.jpg
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2014
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    6JRT's likes this.
    Ooo more cute pics for the profile :D Jimmi looks lovely :049:
  4. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Looking at him he as to be over 8 as he as his tail docked, he is beautiful I love JRT's they are very mischievous little dogs x
  5. Bitkin

Bitkin Member

Name:
    Sally
    6JRT's likes this.
    We have never had a terrier before, we always went for collie crosses - but we don't regret this little chap at all!!
    When we got him, DT put him at 8 years old (4 years ago), but that was sort of nudge nudge wink wink because it was for insurance purposes. The vets will not commit themselves!! All we can go on is the fact that his face is quite grey, he has many many scars on his nose, chin, eyes and one back leg (may have been used for hunting or worse) and he sleeps for England when there is no food or walk in the offing. I think that he is much older than 12, but perhaps with your experience of the breed you may have some pointers?
  6. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    K9 & Skye are both 7 this year yet K9 not got any grey on muzzle where as Skye as lots of grey, the hooligans are 5 this year & Zeus like his mum is grey around the muzzle, been told smooth coat age slower then broken or rough coat JRT's, but as with all dogs some age quicker then others x
  7. Bitkin

Bitkin Member

Name:
    Sally
    This photo shows Jimmi more as he actually is -
    IMG_2615.JPG
  8. Bitkin

Bitkin Member

Name:
    Sally
    6JRT's likes this.
    It was taken tonight as he was on my knee here in the study, just after he spotted this.....

IMG_2626.JPG
  9. Bitkin

Bitkin Member

Name:
    Sally
    GsdSlave and 6JRT's like this.
    he did a double take
    IMG_2621.JPG

then decided to ignore it!!
  10. Bitkin

Bitkin Member

Name:
    Sally
    6JRT's likes this.
    Given that Jimmi is totally obsessed with chasing cats, and cannot rest until every frog has been despatched, do other peoples JRTs have certain things that no amount of training prevents them from chasing or killing?
  11. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Bitkin likes this.
    Hi Sally, I moved Jimmi's photos into a dedicated thread for him... and have now linked to from his featured photo :)
  12. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

Bitkin likes this.
    Lovely photos of Jimmi - I'm with him after seeing that on the wall!:eek:
  13. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Bitkin likes this.
    Witty, we think, is mostly JRT though his mother was half Yorkshire terrier.

He has the terrier instinct to chase, but, once he corners his 'prey'. will just dance around it barking, hoping it will run off so he can chase it again. He's never hurt anything - his ancestors would be ashamed of him!
  14. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou Member

Name:
    Louise
    Bitkin likes this.
    Don't believe just because he's grey and sleeps a lot that he's old. My Tyler is 8 years old and very grey. He always gets asked if he's an older dog! Jimmi looks middle aged to me, but as you have no real idea of his history, who knows. He certainly looks great if he is in his teens! But in my experience terriers do look good into old age.

My girl has killed Mice, Rats, and a baby Bunny! Definitely think it's impossible to train that instinct out of them, although you'll get terriers with seemingly no prey drive. My girl is actually really good, and doesn't go chasing after animals or range far from me in general.

Janet, would love to see pics of Witty. My girl is a JRT/Yorkie too.
  15. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Bitkin likes this.
    lovely photo`s .....
  16. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Lovely to see Jimmy Sally :) I would think he is in the range of 10-12 looking at his excellent teeth.
    it is usual for terriers to have a high prey drive (Chloe although not a terrier has one too) and in the presence of prey to become oblivious to everything else around them. This is not surprising considering that was the purpose for which they were originally bred.
    I have worked with Lakies and Airedales and found It is more a case of managing a prey drive and using distraction than preventing terriers from chasing :)
  17. Bitkin

Bitkin Member

Name:
    Sally
    Thank you Meg - Chloe looks too sweet to have a high prey drive; I am sure that she is totally innocent! Yes, Jimmi's front teeth are good, what remains of them that is, but the back ones are not good and need constant monitoring. In fact he is due for another scrape methinks.

Dogloverlou - Your girl sounds adorable, and given her parentage it's no wonder that she has a prey drive but how lovely that she sticks close by you no matter what the temptation. We never dare to let Jimmi off the lead when out, because he would be off like a shot at the first sight of a cat or whatever and would become totally deaf. He has absolutely no road sense either, with his idea of crossing a road safely being to wait until a ten ton truck is almost upon us then dart out.

It is really interesting to hear other people's views on his age.
  18. Bitkin

Bitkin Member

Name:
    Sally
    Bonni, Janet and Azz like this.
    Just dug out some "sleeping" photos........I have more of those than anything else at the moment, so must take my camera out with us more on walks.

This was his first night with us - the sore paws which still flare up regularly can be clearly seen, and his little face and ears are a mess.
    jimmi 001.jpg jimmi 002.jpg

Here he has had his paws under the table for a little while, but still has his skin troubles and DT collar jimmi3.jpg
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  19. Bitkin

Bitkin Member

Name:
    Sally
    katygeorge and Janet like this.
    How small can a small dog get! Difficult to see, but his skin is now good, and he has his own red collar!

jinty and jim 031.jpg
  20. Floppyears

Floppyears New Member

Name:
    Karen
    Bitkin likes this.
    What lovely pictures of a lovely dog:049:
  21. Bitkin

Bitkin Member

Name:
    Sally
    Thank you Floppyears:058: