JRT owners - how much exercise? Questions

Discussion in 'Jack Russell Terrier' started by jesterjenn, Feb 24, 2012.

1. jesterjenn

jesterjenn New Member

Name:
    Jeni

JRT owners - how much exercise?

How much exercise do you give your JRT?

We have my parent's two dogs here at the mo, one of which is a JRT. Mum says that he doesn't stop when at home, but since being here, after his walk, pretty much has just chilled out. I have two GSDs, so I've just given him the same amount of exercise that they get, so I have a sneaky feeling that Mum just doesn't give him enough if he's always on the go at home.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Tang

Tang New Member

Name:
    Pat
    I've never owned one myself but many of my friends did when I lived down in west Penwith (farming country). Most I knew that walked theirs walked them for a good hour a day once but a lot of them just had a hell of a lot of open ground to chase about on. I never saw them as lazy or sleepy dogs. They seemed to only sleep when they needed to. I wouldn't even have considered one when I was looking for a dog suitable for an apartment. Not because I wouldn't be able to walk it but because I don't think it would be happy in too confined a space.
  4. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    Mine is very laid back - a true couch potato. My dogs get between one and two hours a day and she spends the rest of her time snoozing and cuddling. She enjoys her walks and runs around but I wouldn't call her an energetic dog by any means.

My Mum's JRT is more terrier like than Rogue, but she too is very chilled in the house. She gets one long walk and one shorter walk per day and spends the rest of her time looking for comfy places to veg out.
  5. Bitkin

Bitkin Member

Name:
    Sally
    Jimmi has one walk a day.........which varies in length between three quarters of an hour and two hours, depending on my back and his mood!

The rest of the time he spends snoozing somewhere warm and comfortable, interspersed with the odd mosey around outside.
  6. youngstevie

youngstevie

Mojo is great, she can have a walk and the rest of the day she is chilled and she is only 16 months

she will walk and run as far as the Border Collies when she is with them, but I don't think its because she needs it ....its more that she doesn't want to be out-done by them:lol:

Often on walks though once she has tired/slowed down she sticks alongside me and me and her have just a chilled out walk whilst Pat is still keeping the BC's amused;-)
  7. MarchHound

MarchHound New Member

Name:
    Jeanna
    Varies!

On weekdays; Jin is walked between 1-2 hours while I am at work, and plays ALL day (more than their yorkie and simular age JRT). I like to walk her when I get home, usually 30-45 mins off lead sniffle and training in the local park, just so I still get to enjoy this with her. In the summer, she'll get a 30-45 min walk before I go to work, and then go to the pupsitters a few hours after Ive left so she doesnt get dependant on people being around. Shes usually picked up 30min-1 hr after I leave at the moment.

On weekends, I stuff as much in as possible- a day out possibly, or a nice walk somewhere different/trip in the car type thing. And then on Sunday we have flyball where Jin bombs around with her friends and after balls.....

Jin can be a very active dog with tonnes of energy.

And yet, when I was jobless, she was also happy to lay on my tummy for entire days while I scoured for jobs and cried......without even asking for a play or a walk.......
  8. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    Frankie my terrier mix will take as much exercise as he can get, which is usually at least 2 hours a day and he is a very busy terrier, he can do chilled but prefers to be busy. My previous Prt was pretty much the same right into old age.
  9. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    I think the thing with a lot of dogs is that the more exercise and stimulation you give them, the more they expect.
  10. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    I'd agree with that, Frankie is keeping up with the Dobermanns so needs to keep in tip top shape.
  11. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    Yep, and if I didn't have the other dogs to exercise, and just had Rogue, I reckon I could be a lazy fair weather walker....:)
  12. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    :lol: My Mil keeps trying to dognap Frankie and he'd be converted to a fat lazy lap dog in no time if she ever got her way.
  13. neonlitdaydream

neonlitdaydream New Member

Name:
    Molly
    Coco is only half JRT and also 10 months old but I'd say at a minimum she get's 30 minutes a day.
    There have been day's where I'm ill and she has been happy to snuggle all day with only potty break's.
    There have been day's where we do a 30min walk in the morning or the evening and she's happy all day.
    And there have been day's where we will spend 3 hours in the park,then go shopping,then visit people and then walk home.
    She takes everything in her stride and there is not a noticeable difference in her behavior regardless of what we do!
  14. milella

milella New Member

Name:
    shai
    I used to walk my JRT twice daily 40 mins each time but he loved the longer walks sometimes 3 hours but that was not a regular walk only during summer months at the week end, they will generally walk as far as you want but no shorter than 40 mins otherwise your bound to get a sulking jack.lol
  15. Sosha

Sosha New Member

Name:
    Sosha
    Would say up to an hour in the morning and upto an hour in the evening.

You can walk him the 8 miles into work though and it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference to his fatigue levels - he'll still chill til about three AKA Tug o'clock - then chill again til home time.